Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 BO Molds?

Boolit Master

300 BO Molds?

What mold is the best for the BO? I have 2 of the Lee 155gr molds but the consistency from boolit to boolit varies more than I like.
    I'm thinking of maybe going to powder coating although I have GCs and lube/sizer dies. BTW this is an AR.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I PC the 31-145C PB and 142D GC in my BO. Depends on what you want for use. Hunting, plinking, target, etc.
    edit:
    I did both of these for PC so nose is slight undersized. Other drawback in BO chamber is the freebore/bore transition - normally jam there before engraving. Of course engraving in AR is a no/no.
    Last edited by popper; 04-24-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Super or sub?

For super it's really hard to beat the MP 311-410 clone. For sub...well there are several but I really like the MP 311-235.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    The problem with some .308 barrels for ARs is they have throats that are all over the place on dimension, especially length. Many have rifling that starts short and abruptly. Not all cast boolits will fit.

I've been foolin' around with an upper that belongs to a friend that seems to like about anything cast I can load for it. Others I've worked with are short throated and require boolits like the RCBS 7.62-130-SPL or NOE 311-152-SP.

Add a little PC and the situation gets worse with the increase diameter forward of the front driving band.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

Sundog is very correct. I have one that has a very short leade. I am using the NOE 311-152-SP very happily. This bullet is also great for PC since the nose is a reduced diameter and allows the coated nose into the barrel. I have been unable to use many bullets due to the leade, a few will fire but lead accumulates at that point and prevents the rifle from going into full battery.

Banned
    For sub's, it's hard to beat the NOE 311-247-FN accurate hard-hitting over 700-X, also good with 1680, 231, H110, TB

Boolit Buddy
    I just started playing around with the Lee 309-150-F powder coated and gas checked. Barrel is from BCA. I've been able to get them to feed and cycle fine so far, but again not a ton of rounds through it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Been doing some testing with the NOE HTC 309-153, MP 311410, NOE 247 and MP 311-235 HP. Of all so far, the NOE HTC mold seems to be the better all-round bullet. Fits my gun's throat powder coated, feeds really well in the AR, is giving some decent first-test accuracy (1.5-2" at 50), drops from the mold like greased lightning and I'm getting around 1700 fps comfortably out of an 8.5" bbl. All so far have been 50/50 pb/pure with 2% tin. I'm hoping to find that the solids will expand at that velocity for hunting. MP 235 hp is nice and shoots about as well, but needs nose sized when powder coated. 311410 is nice but the hp is delicate in a semi. The crimp groove is about right for feeding out of a 223 mag but if a guy wants to shoot it longer to fill up the front of a 300 blk mag and get some more velocity, the lube groove is right at the end of the case where you would want to crimp. my 1-8 twist is right on the edge and almost stabilizes the NOE 247 at sub velocities. Might work faster but then not subsonic... next steps are to see about w/d ww's for alloy and mess with throat sizing. I'm getting fairly consistent lead buildup in a ring right inside the end of the chamber on all of them (sized at .310) they seem to run ok from the mag semi, but when I try to chamber from boltlock, they will sometimes not go into battery. Sorry, this last part isn't mold related but thought you might be interested to hear...

Anyway, depending on what you want, all of these molds have been producing bullets consistently +/- half a grain to each other when I do my job. All 4 cavities except the 311410.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

NOE 310-135 HTC RN powder coated for supers. Tried M&P 311-410, feeding is erratic. So far M&P 311 blackout(about 232 grains) for subs is working well as long as I keep PC thin. Both in AR.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    As always, there is no "best".

I like the Lee 155, and the NOE 310-196 MX2-30H, but LOTS of other designs run well. Currently playing with the Lee 311-90RN PC'd in the BO pistols.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

If that NOE HTC 309-153 was available I'd be on it like white on rice.

Al doesn't seem to have a lot in stock these days.
    NRA Benefactor.

Hey Bob.
    I have several 30 cal. molds. up to 200 gr. Maybe we can find one that will work for you.
    Give me a shout.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DAFzipper View Post
    NOE 310-135 HTC RN powder coated for supers. Tried M&P 311-410, feeding is erratic. So far M&P 311 blackout(about 232 grains) for subs is working well as long as I keep PC thin. Both in AR.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I've been wondering about the NOE 135. How does it load? Are you loading to fit in 223 mags, and what velocities are you getting with what barrel Length?

Thanks.

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Quote Originally Posted by bld451 View Post
    I've been wondering about the NOE 135. How does it load? Are you loading to fit in 223 mags, and what velocities are you getting with what barrel Length?

Thanks.
    In my 16 inch barrel I've seen 1900 fps with CFE BLK. Might be able to get a few more grains of powder in. Fit fine in Pmags. Just shot 100 at steel plates yesterday with 100% function. All powder coated.
    My 16 inch barrel has been hard to find a bullet that would fit without jamming.
    Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Good info. Thanks.

Banned

tried a quite a few different designs. Ive got a ruger ranch and 3 ar15s in bo and the hands down best bullet ive found is the rcbs 130 spitzer gas check. Its accurate in every one of those guns.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. I have had decent luck with the Lee other than inconsistencies in GC fit from boolit to boolit. I would also like to have a little more production than a 2 cavity mold gives, even 2 of them.
    I was thinking a little more velocity would be available with a little lighter boolit, but that isn't a big deal.

Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Hey Bob.
    I have several 30 cal. molds. up to 200 gr. Maybe we can find one that will work for you.
    Give me a shout.

Jerry
    JD, long time no see. Are you in New Haven now?
    Frank is running some matches at KY Gun Co, when this virus BS is over with usually the 4th Wed of the month.
    PM me your phone number.

Bob

Bob, check your PM.

I have a NOE 130gr. SP that might be what you're looking for. It worked pretty good in a couple of BO's I loaded for.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Arsenal 312 145 "elvis". Profile appears to be the same as Lee 312 155 but fits better. Powder coated with Ford light blue. 2,000 K with no leading and good accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast