RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lyman #257312

Lyman #257312

Got a question for everybody.
    Have you ever heard of a case of #257312 with its little round nose causing a blow up in a tube feed?

Boolit Master
    Can't imagine there's any more risk with it than the Winchester factory bullet. I use the GC version and haven't had any problems! (knocking on wood here)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thought about having it altered with a plug to make it flat pointed. But then thought about it, that my loads are so mild it just doesn't generate much recoil. Haven't hunted anything but tomato cans with the piece for decades now and they don't take much for a dead-flop. But any way, I figger there's somebody out there casting them hard enough to nail 1x lumber with and loading them like jacketed. And I thought I'd ask if anybody ever heard of a blow up.

Boolit Master
    I posted some radiographs a while back of cartridges in tubular magazine (it was a '94, I should do a '92, '86...etc at some point). Pretty consistently showed that the bullet tip doesn't rest against the neighbouring primer anyway. Not saying there's no risk, just that it's not as great as I had always believed - especially with cast type velocities in the 25wcf.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That makes a lot of sense, like maybe you gotta have a basically cylindrical cartridge case (like maybe a .45 Colt) to get the edge of the flat nose (#454190) to come to the primer.
    So, otherwise the spring compression inside the tube tries to push the cartridges to as much of an angle as possible?

Boolit Master

All I know is I have shot a bunch of them in my Marlin and never a problem. Mine's been rebarrelled to 1-12 twist and will handle the 257312. Threw a full length tube on it as the same time and I have a "Clinton illegal" Marlin that holds more that 10 rounds. I don't think the meplat is small enough to worry about and the recoil is not that heavy in the .25-20./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    A 25-20, not likely. A 25-35 gives more recoil, don’t know.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Got a question for everybody.
    Have you ever heard of a case of #257312 with its little round nose causing a blow up in a tube feed?
    My two cavity is a flat point and if yours is too, it would be just another lever round safe to load in the tubular mag.
    I found it too long to shoot well in the Winchester 1892 25-20's. As said, the 12 twist would be better for that bullet.

257312 Designed for high velocity in the .25-20 single shot and repeaters. Also good for other 25 calibers. (GC, FN, 89 – TP is 420)
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    No its a flat nose, boolite unless someone has changed it. I'm not sure any commonsense 25 recoil would sit it off. May push primer in too far for following rounds to fire.

Boolit Buddy
    I use round nose bullets in my 38-55. Get a primed empty case and try to hammer it off with the bullet in question. You'll find out quick if it's a problem.

Mine is a round nose with no flat spot.
    Wait a minute, duh.
    I'm looking at the 257325.

Boolit Master

On a slight change of conditions here, I have shot loads of 257325s in a .25/35 lever with no problems. If the thought bothers you, use a top punch for a RFN and it will bump a slight, flat ogive on the bullet during sizing and GC seating./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I've never heard of a problem with the little FP bullet. Then again I only know of one individual who owns a 25-20. BTW I do own a 25-35 but its most popular loading is the 117 gr. FP.

Boolit Master
    Take 3+ cartridges loaded with the bullet you'd like to shoot. Lay them down in a line, nose to tail, (preferably in a smooth shallow groove of some kind so they stay in line) and push them from the nose and see what they do. It's pretty unlikely you'll find that the nose lifts up to the center of the cartridge in front, it's not just gravity, but geometry that's in your favor. Under spring tension the rounds will find the shortest space to occupy, and with a rimmed tapered cartridge like the 25-20 or 25-35, that means they will be at an angle independent of barrel angle, and only possibly moving a little due to recoil, but almost certainly settling back into the angled orientation as the spring tension catches up to the recoil impulse.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

Cast of a soft alloy like range scrap you would never have an issue The slug will crush before setting off a primer.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

With the proliferation of RN and RFN bullets in classic lever actions for well over a decade -- along with the lack of actual incidents -- puts this into perspective.