Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I should sell it ALL - but I would miss my reloading bench "friends"

Boolit Master
    After a big move I 'lost' the guys I used to shoot and reload with and it just wasn't the same. Didn't even unpack my gear for almost 4 years. I finally forced myself to get everything set up, even though I couldn't see much of a point until I ran across some half-finished projects and decided to complete them. Next thing I knew I was going hot and heavy on a pair of homemade breech-seating tools, that was all the therapy I needed to get back into it.
    It would please your friend and it would lift your spirits to start up again.
    Be well.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I took a 20 year sabbatical from the shooting sports. When I came back I found reloading things I had forgotten, and didn’t find some things I thought I had purchased. I just lost my most current shooting mentor, a member here. He had made some commitments to teach some Boy Scouts, and although I felt like taking a while off, I jumped in to help fulfill some of his last plans. Anyway, my recommendation is not to sell, but go shooting.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I am old and I don't shoot much any more holding a pistol out front free standing is a lesson in back pain. I have a lot of equipment and the boys and grand kids can do as they please with it but I am not selling a thing , may need it the way things are going. Don't sell it may save your life! and $$ will just disappear and you will have nothing to show for it.
    Frank G.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I am old and I don't shoot much any more holding a pistol out front free standing is a lesson in back pain. I have a lot of equipment and the boys and grand kids can do as they please with it but I am not selling a thing , may need it the way things are going. Don't sell it may save your life! and $$ will just disappear and you will have nothing to show for it.
    Amen. I sold all my stuff in 1988, when I left the country. Still trying to find it all and re-aquire everything I let go.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    $$ will just disappear and you will have nothing to show for it.
    Considering how much we paid and what it's worth to us vs selling it to a stranger, I'd rather give it away to a friend than sell it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I’ve lost my first wife and shooting partner and my mentor to death and another close friend to me moving. Life events really can take the wind from the sails. Nothing seems to help me recover better than forcing myself to “get back in the saddle”. As was said, start slowly. The desire to create builds easily once it’s fed a little.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I've been following the responses and I appreciate all of them. Shelter in place cabin fever has set in. Last week, for something to do, I finally decided to heat treat a pair of new (2-years old and still unboxed) MiHec 357 Keith-style HP brass molds, using Gregor Hodnik's method that I found at MP Molds. That's an investment in brass that has sat on the reloading bench for a LONG time.

During heat treating, I heated the pot and poured some Lyman 357 HP's for comparison and to "kill time". After three hours, with both MiHec molds seasoned well, I had a "pile" of Lyman 357 HP's and a few finger burns from grabbing that danged hot HP insert the wrong way. Yowser! I had forgotten about being careful in that.

I am looking at the 357 Lyman's and wondering why? Now that I have the preferred Keith-style brass molds seasoned, will I ever size, lube, or shoot any of the 357 Lyman's? I suppose they can go back into the pot and be turned into MiHec HP's some day. Or maybe cycle a few to compare to the MiHec's. At least they are made. It's a start I suppose.

So confounding and confusing. No true path forward. Reloading and shooting have lost their "zing". I feel fractured and dysfunctional...maybe in part due to the World outside. IDK. There remains a bucket of lead roof vent flashing, COWW, SOWW, and about 300#'s of nuclear shielding lead to turn into ingots. I have not gotten the motivation to tackle that task.

It's real hot here. Perhaps an indication of where I am headed...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Start slow set a goal and go for it. Prep say 100 rounds, load and shoot them. Make a new friend at the range. Good old days are just that. Hunting here is a joke compared to just 30 years ago. Pheasant, rabbits are very hard to find. Ruffed grouse is gone. All that's left are a few deer, some squirrels and Turkeys. I still like to try and make it out.
    Truer words have not been said...

BCB

I’m getting up there too, don’t hunt except opening weekend of dove hunting and an occasional hog hunt in east Texas. Deer now get a pass along with most animals.

That said, I still love to shoot and do so several times a year.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    When my reloading/shooting/hunting partner and Mentor died in 2017, I quit casting, reloading, and hunting. I am only now beginning to thaw.

I have not used most of the presses, dies, lube & sizing equipment, GUNS, etc., since 2017. I have been thinking about chucking it all, going on a selling binge, turning it into cash, and forgetting about it.

Seems I can't do that. I would "miss the mess" too greatly and, after a lifetime in this hobby, there isn't ANYTHING to take its place.
    More than understand. Last Christmas father passed and I can’t touch a firearm or press without thinking of him. Could never sell my guns as each one was a conversation with him, not to mention the ones we bought together or shot side by side. Was handling an Enfield we bought together from tobacco cutting money in KY so many years ago this very evening and breaking down. Haven’t figured out how to get past these feelings but can’t imagine a world without these remembrances... Perhaps I am just to sentimental, but at my age I can’t/won’t change. Good luck figuring it all out, and if you do, send me a pm as I could use the help as well.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    More than understand. Last Christmas father passed and I can’t touch a firearm or press without thinking of him. Could never sell my guns as each one was a conversation with him, not to mention the ones we bought together or shot side by side. Was handling an Enfield we bought together from tobacco cutting money in KY so many years ago this very evening and breaking down. Haven’t figured out how to get past these feelings but can’t imagine a world without these remembrances... Perhaps I am just to sentimental, but at my age I can’t/won’t change. Good luck figuring it all out, and if you do, send me a pm as I could use the help as well.
    What a blessing to have those kind of memories of your father. That is how it should be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12