Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I should sell it ALL - but I would miss my reloading bench "friends"

Boolit Master

I should sell it ALL - but I would miss my reloading bench "friends"

When my reloading/shooting/hunting partner and Mentor died in 2017, I quit casting, reloading, and hunting. I am only now beginning to thaw.

I have not used most of the presses, dies, lube & sizing equipment, GUNS, etc., since 2017. I have been thinking about chucking it all, going on a selling binge, turning it into cash, and forgetting about it.

Seems I can't do that. I would "miss the mess" too greatly and, after a lifetime in this hobby, there isn't ANYTHING to take its place.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance
    I feel your pain. Hope it will pass. Iron

Sounds like it is time to start using some of those items. You can always do it to honor the memory of your friend. Do some reloading and think back to some of the things the two of you talked about when reloading, etc.

Boolit Master
    Start slow set a goal and go for it. Prep say 100 rounds, load and shoot them. Make a new friend at the range. Good old days are just that. Hunting here is a joke compared to just 30 years ago. Pheasant, rabbits are very hard to find. Ruffed grouse is gone. All that's left are a few deer, some squirrels and Turkeys. I still like to try and make it out.

Boolit Master

find a younger person wanting to learn and become the person you miss.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your friend. Give this some serious thoughts before you sell out. You probably spent a lot of time and money getting set up. You don't want to do that again if you change your mind later on. Do you?

Some good suggestions in the above post. Give it some thought before you bail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I agree, but you can not make someone love this hobby.

I have mentored folks and thought I had struck pay dirt as in really planted the seed but only to see their enthusiasm either sputter along of fizzle. Worse is the occasional jerk that thinks you should do for them what they are able and equipped to do for themselves.

Another member and I have loosely mentored a young fellow, he has equipment, but he thinks we should be his servant, sorry not going there! If it is not out and out loading, it is casting he wants us to do. Barring that we are supposed to be at his beck and call with supplies. He does not expect it for free necessarily but it came to a head a few weeks ago amid the start of the quarentine.

Needless to say he learned sumtin’.

All I can say is either “you got it, or you don’t”! There is little one can do to artificially create it. I liking to the fact that you can not “push a rope”.

I say use it to the best of your ability and enjoyment and after a while you will figure out how to proceed.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-23-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I have lost some good friends that were shooting reloading buddy's you cant replace them . But you can have new ones . The best place to meet them is at the range go shooting often I go twice a week. Then tell us about what you shot and like and don't like about your gun and load we would like to hear it. We don't want to loose a friend either.

Boolit Bub
    What he said.

Boolit Mold

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

What they^^^^ said ! I am sure your friend would want you to continue on.

Boolit Grand Master

During my battle with cancer I didn't do any shooting and reloading was bottom line minimal. I didn't know if I would return to shooting/reloading, even though I was convinced I would survive. Sometime when I had the energy I'd go to my shop and play with some brass or when I was tired, just sit there. It made me feel better. But I understand that if the fire has gone out it may be very difficult to re ignite it. From your OP the sports were largely dependent on the time with your friend. That cannot be replaced, but you could move on.

I had a very close friend and we went to baseball games in the LA area. When she "left", I went to one ball game and didn't care for it. I haven't been to a game in 31 years. I did find something to fill that hole after 5 years or so and it involved people with similar backgrounds, likes and dislikes and faith.

No one can tell you what to do as it's totally up to you and your hopes and feelings (for me reloading is a solitary pass time and teaching, while very altruistic, ain't for me). I have found out though, not to rush into anything after a major loss, take my time and even do some quiet soul searching to see what is brought before me.

I'd tell you about how my relationship with God helps me, but I'm sure I'd offend an atheist or a pagan or two and this is a casting/reloading forum...

PS; I've seen the screen name "Land Owner" around this and other forums for several years, and I have enjoyed/used his wisdom. Even if he may choose to no longer "partake"in the activities, he is more than welcome to continue his membership, sharing his wisdom, experience here...
    Last edited by mdi; 04-23-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    When I move to rural MI I "lost" all my shooting buddies...not in the way you have...but still they were not around. For a few years, I would hook up with them at the major ATA shoots and it was great. I had some medical issues that prevented me from shooting. Four years ago I was the Ohio State Shoot and could barely pickup the gun after the first 50 birds...by the time I finished the first 100, I was done. My buddy felt awful for me...he could see the pain I was in. I left the shoot and have never competed again. I see my buddies when I go downstate but miss competing with them.

I have switched gears and that has got me back into shooting. I started helping the locals with simple gun stuff...repairs, scope mounting, sighting in etc. Last year I bought a pair of 686's and my fiancé and I shoot together. She loves shooting the 1894 in .38/.357. I bought her a Howa Mini-Mauser in .223 and will get her into longer rifle shooting this year. Built a bullet trap and planning on extending the range to 200 yards.

I like the idea above about mentoring a new reloader or caster. Having your SO participate helps too. Shooting alone is OK but gets old for me. Finding a different shooting activity can spark a new fire. If you shot IPSC try CAS for example.
    Last edited by dverna; 04-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    Don Verna

I’m not selling anything. I’ll let my son wrestle with it all after I’m dead and gone. Between bad weather and then the virus I’ve not shot a monthly match in 4 months. Luckily I can shoot off my deck and have shot my 22s a bunch. People move, folks go on to a better place, my wonderful wife went ‘home’ a year and a half ago and it still hurts, doesn’t mean you sit there and cry. My gun collecting, shooting, reloading, gun builds and woodworking hobbies keep me from becoming depressed. This past week I’ve started on my old T-bolt rebuild and bought a 1924 winchester 52 that I can learn to shoot. Stay busy, it helps. And we’re finally supposed to shoot a Wild Bunch match Saturday. It should be ok as there’s only about a dozen shooters. About damn time. Stay safe all.

Update 4:30 Just saw where the gov has moved the stay home date into May so we may not shoot.

Cancelled again.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-23-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not as seasoned as some here but I don't have many shooting buddies myself but after 22 years of marriage I do have my wife as a shooting buddy. Works out pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    When my reloading/shooting/hunting partner and Mentor died , I quit casting, reloading, and hunting. I am only now beginning to thaw.
    Same thing happened to me.
    I sold or placed about 80% of my reloading stuff, and really thinned the herd in the safe.

Not too long ago, I bought new presses and dies.
    As soon as I can separate another life long friend from the S&W Model 52 I bought from him, then sold back-
    I'll be getting another WC mold...

It's your deal, but ya might not want to be in such a hurry to get rid of the equipment.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Sorry for your loss.

For me, guns and reloading in a way are a friend by themselves. I don't have any friends that have the interest like I do, and none that reload. I don't get let down by my guns and reloading gear like my friends do.

I'll never forget the time they went to the machine gun shoot without me. I asked why I wasn't invited, and they said I always decline when invited to do other things. Granted I don't have any interest in playing ultimate frisbee, going to a concert, or playing midnight laser tag. Guess it was just another social activity for them cause they ain't been back.

I had a close friend, really more of an adopted father.

He ran a small rock shop here in town. He had a sign, "He who dies with the most toys, wins."

I like the philosophy even if I am not really a contender.
    For a northern Minnesota country boy who started working at 13, I'm doing pretty dang well.
    It helped that dad taught me to save 50% off the top. But back then you could work for a dollar an hour, save 50 cents, put another quarter aside for new clothing and shoes come fall. Walk uptown, buy a coke and a candy bar, and have 15 cents change left over.

Times are harder now.

Boolit Mold
    I completely agree with this. My friend and mentor died about a month ago. Really miss him and our sessions but I decided I would honor his memory by sharing all the knowledge he imparted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I agree, but you can not make someone love this hobby.

I have mentored folks and thought I had struck pay dirt as in really planted the seed but only to see their enthusiasm either sputter along of fizzle. Worse is the occasional jerk that thinks you should do for them what they are able and equipped to do for themselves.

Another member and I have loosely mentored a young fellow, he has equipment, but he thinks we should be his servant, sorry not going there! If it is not out and out loading, it is casting he wants us to do. Barring that we are supposed to be at his beck and call with supplies. He does not expect it for free necessarily but it came to a head a few weeks ago amid the start of the quarentine.

Needless to say he learned sumtin’.

All I can say is either “you got it, or you don’t”! There is little one can do to artificially create it. I liking to the fact that you can not “push a rope”.

I say use it to the best of your ability and enjoyment and after a while you will figure out how to proceed.

Three44s
    I had a young buck that kept saying he wanted to reload.Ask me constant questions for years and never bought the first piece of equitment while buying more silly guns that he don't shoot. The virus hit and now he is pissed he cant get componets to load on my equipment. he finally has some 9mm bullets on backorder and he is chomping to reload and kinda being pushy about coming over.I simply told him im not on his schedule and I got stuff to do...Ill get back to you when im free. young people have no clue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast