RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Will a Circuit Judge ruin brass 410 hulls?

Boolit Mold

Will a Circuit Judge ruin brass 410 hulls?

I am contemplating getting a Rossi Circuit Judge for use purely with .410 shells. I think a double-action revolving shotgun would be add fun variety to skeet shooting. Given the price of .410, this would require me to take up shot-shell reloading.

My question is this: The first 1.3 inches of the chamber are ~20 mil larger in diameter than a standard .410 chamber to allow for .45 Colt brass. Will this larger portion of the chamber ruin shotshell hulls upon firing? My initial thought was to buy some 3" brass hulls from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. If they'll bulge out and be too weakened to reload after the first firing though, this isn't going to be a very economical gun for regular recreation.

This'll be my first foray into reloading, as the rest of my guns shoot inexpensive calibers. Thanks for entertaining a question from a noob.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know about the effect on your cases but it will knock your hearing around.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I cant answer that question, and I know that the RMC cases are pretty spendy... why not just use plastic?

welcome to the forum
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I have a Bond derringer in .410/.45 long Colt.
    I shoot it fairly often with cast .45s and plastic .410s.

I never did any measuring, but only about the last 1/2" of the barrel is rifled.
    Yeah, its a handful, but a hoot to shoot.

I don't reload the .410s, but they look like they'd be fine for reloading.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I have recovered 410 shotshells in the past with a ring around them and was puzzled for quite a while as to what caused the ring. Then a fellow shooter let me fire his Judge and I saw the cause. I am not sure whether those shells were damaged beyond reloading, they were plastic. Brass would hold up better but eventually I would think the brass shell would be damaged beyond where it could be safely reloaded. There is a good research project for the OP.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I cant answer that question, and I know that the RMC cases are pretty spendy... why not just use plastic?

welcome to the forum
    I'm not stuck on the brass. I'd probably try reloading both plastic and brass. I just liked the idea that the brass cases would last many reloads. It goes well with the revolver action not making you chase the shells.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies! It sounds like I might be able to get a couple of reloads out of plastic shells, as long as they'll rechamber in the same gun. I'm doubting now that the $5/shell RMC brass would have a chance to pay itself off.

I haven't seen one of the long-gun versions in person. Likely, few owners of the revolver shoot enough 410 to be worth reloading. If nobody has tried reloading 410 for that specific gun, I guess it's my duty to buy one and perform the experiments, for the good of us all.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Coincidentally, looking for reviews of these led me to the following post:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1622677

Apparently, Magtech brass cases have been successfully reloaded for a judge by user gojo41. They'll never fit in a proper 410 chamber again, but that's no problem for me. Thanks for putting me onto just the right google search to turn up this post!

Now the hunt begins to find a Circuit Judge in a store.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 2.5" Judge w/ 3" barrel that I tried using 444 Marlin brass shells loaded like a 410. Made a really clear bulge in the case where the chamber is relieved for the 45 Colt. Extraction was very difficult and required slight tapping with a plastic mallet to eject the 444 cases. Never tried it again. Plastic shells work fine.

Boolit Master

Reloading 410 is a one reload deal for a quality reloads and they are nowhere as good as a factory shell. With each firing/reload, the crimp gets weaker resulting in less pressure and a smaller pattern. Shells with a ribbed plastic tube are notorious for burning through the hull just above the brass base. Being a sweet shooter, I'm very well versed in reloading g this finickey cartridge. If I was to get a S/S or O/U shotgun for small game, I'd go with the brass hulls myself.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have both the Judge and Circuit Judge and love shooting them both. Especially the long gun. Surprisingly accurate! My wife's favorite 45 cal gun. I shoot a variety of 45 cast up to 300gn PC's boolits in it. Have went thru a few boxes of 410 shells, but I prefer solid cast.

The Judge is perfect for personal defense. 1st 2 rounds are a sold boolits and if that does not stop them, that is followed by 3 rounds of 410 buck shot. And good shooting snakes with a 45LC load I make up with shot.

Good luck on your search. I bought mine about 4 years ago at Sportsman's Warehouse. Haven't seen many since.

banger

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    .444 brass is 2/3 the cost of brass .410. Steer clear of using 2400, it will absolutely roast a shotgun hull. 110/296 is the standby for .410, but if you can lay hands on Alliant Power Pro 300MP it gives the longest hull life,lowest pressure, and highest velocities.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It might be cheaper to reload the brass by hand before investing in a press.

Banned

I have no interest in a judge, but have a couple of .410s, one of which is a little Rossi "Snake Charmer" type of thing I carry on my lap when I mow grass or when I walk out to the mail box. I bought some brass hulls and intend to load for it eventually. This article was very informative from Ed Harris.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2014...10-shotshells/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have no interest in a judge, but have a couple of .410s, one of which is a little Rossi "Snake Charmer" type of thing I carry on my lap when I mow grass or when I walk out to the mail box. I bought some brass hulls and intend to load for it eventually. This article was very informative from Ed Harris.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2014...10-shotshells/
    I have a switch bbl .410 and .22LR Rossi.
    After the first box of plastic factory shells which were very ouch, I learnt to make .410 loads from .303 cases.
    With #7?shot or .356 WC or 3x 00 performs flawlessly.
    Yes, she’ll forming takes a while as the rims have to be thinned so that the shotgun closes, and the coke bottle shaped shells get ironed out to straight wall in a couple of firings.
    Go for it, it’s great fun. I’ve even done square loads with half Oz shot and BP
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    I've been messing with loading 410 for a while with different brass ( 303 and 444 ). I don't think a 45 Speer shot cup will fit in a 410 case of any type.
    I Like 444 brass the best as it takes no sizing and only rim thinning for some guns. I use an upside down 44cal gas check over powder as the plastic wads take up quite a bit of space and they are fairly loose in the brass cases.
    I tried a .452 boolit and couldn't get it in the case. A 44cal Speer shot capsul would probably fit.
    I just checked a 303 and a 444 case fired in a normal 410 shotgun and the case mouth inside dia measured .445.
    Last night I finished making some 410 brass cases from 303 and out of 50 cases I got 24 that didn't split.
    I don't know how you would go about reloading cases with the bottom half of the case expanded from firing in the judge cylinder more than once or twice. Leaving them unsized could work if the powder charge filled the case to the shoulder neck area and a shot capsul would fit in whats left of the case. Trail boss might work? Lots of experimental stuff here, be careful.

Boolit Master
    Just use 45 colt brass. The same size as the chamber. Make a wad punch from one of the colt cases. Shotguns were re/loaded without shot cups for years.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Just use 45 colt brass. The same size as the chamber. Make a wad punch from one of the colt cases. Shotguns were re/loaded without shot cups for years.
    Not a bad idea. I would imagine a 454 Casul case (being a lengthened 45 Colt) would work even better. I have the Judge and a Puma model 92 Lever Action in 454 Casul.