MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the 9mm plunge....

Boolit Master

Taking the 9mm plunge....

Never thought I'd start reloading 9mm. But I ordered a 6 cavity Lee 125 gr. round nose mold today so it begins. I have read a number of threads here on cast 9mm boolits so I am feeling well versed. Will slug the barrel on my M&P 9 Compact and go from there. I will cast, powder coat, lube and size. Got plenty of time these days.....

Boolit Master

Sounds like a plan, but think about forgetting the lube step if powder coating. It will only make stinky smoke! Those little tapered cases can be a pain in the butt, but don't give up on them. The can be very accurate!

Boolit Master

Awesome enjoy your new adventure. 9mm and 45 acp is what i started on.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    What mold??
    Thr LEE 125 RN casts large enough if I add some linotype, or RotoMetal super hard. I need .357 to get results. Just under .358 is better.
    Both LEE ALOX and 45-45-10 from Larsen's lube.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Years ago, I had a tricked out late 50's issue Browning Hi-power.
    That thing could make Stevie Wonder look good at the range.

As time went on, the 9mm cases got more and more tedious to handle.
    That's the only reason I went to .45ACP.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

I remember guys trying to make major with their High Powers back in the day. There were those hit pendulums before there were chronographs. I shot many thousand cast 200 gr. 45 bullets but never thought about getting into casting. I'm hoping for better accuracy more than saving money on ball ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    What mold??
    Thr LEE 125 RN casts large enough if I add some linotype, or RotoMetal super hard. I need .357 to get results. Just under .358 is better.
    Both LEE ALOX and 45-45-10 from Larsen's lube.

SHiloh
    If i don't need to powder coat that would be great. Hoping they drop at .358 or so. Been using that 45/45/10 tumble lube and it works great.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

Entirely too cool for school!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I went to powder coating because I HATE to size and lub those little 9 mm. Bought a Lee push through die to size at just under .358. They shoot great out of 4 9mm I have one of which is the Ruger PCC 9 mm.
    Big Bore = 45+

Banned
    My experience with casting for 9mm is that I must cast and load for one particular pistol. For reasons unknown to me, 9mm barrels seem to be all over the map when it comes to dimensions. A cartridge with a cast 9mm bullet that will work in one pistol of my collection will not work in another. In order to get one that feeds, chambers, doesn't lead the bore, is accurate and ejects - I pretty much have to tailor it to a particular pistol. Other cartridges (or maybe I should say other guns) are not as picky.
    This isn't the end of the world, but it does annoy me from time to time.
    I have found the 120 grain TC style bullet to be the most universal bullet style when it come to 9mm pistols.
    I'm also going to give a big shout out here for WSF powder. WSF is my Go-To powder for 9mm unless I'm really trying to squeeze those last few feet per seconds out of a load, in which case there are some other options. 98% of the time, WSF doe the job and it does it very well.

The 9mm isn't as forgiving as say the 38 Special or 44 Special, but it isn't the total bear that some make it out to be.

Boolit Man
    I agree with Petrol & Powder the 120 TC lee mold feeds better in my 9mm (cz75, walther ppq). I powder coat all cast bullets anymore. Shake and bake, size and load. havent had any leading issues like i had with pan lubing or tumble lubing.

Boolit Grand Master

There are 3 common ways to lube a bullet, and multiple methods of each. You can use traditional wax lube, tumble lube, or coat. For wax lube, the fastest way is a lubrisizer. Slower, but just as good is to either dip or pan lube. For tumble lubing, most use a form of alox that coats the bullet. Most often a bit of lube is added to a container with bullets, and spun to distribute, but an equally valid way is in a bag, and knead the bag. Coating seems to involve powder coating, hitec, or some other kind of bake on coating. The most common method is similar to tumble lubing, but then followed up by baking in a toaster oven. Also used is a spray gun to coat bullets. There are many, many other ways to do the job

I use both wax and tumble lubes equally as often. Tumble lubing is the simplest method in terms of time and equipment needed. All you need for equipment is a push through bullet sizer. I've tried pan lubing, but find it a PITA. I much prefer to dip lube. This is a very slow process, but produces great results. I normally use a lubrisizer. I've tried coated bullets, and they work fine, but they are not all that they are cracked up to be. If you shoot indoors, they may be an advantage. Outdoors, a good wax lube produces so little smoke you can't even see it unless it is a dead still day. If you are not a competition shooter, it is a moot point.

If looking for volume, I would steer you to tumble lube. Since you seem to want more accuracy than anything, I would say find a used Lyman 450 lubrisizer. You can try pan or dip lubing too. You can coat if you wish, but the cost of equipment turns out to be about what a lubrisizer does.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisest.fool View Post
    I agree with Petrol & Powder the 120 TC lee mold feeds better in my 9mm (cz75, walther ppq). I powder coat all cast bullets anymore. Shake and bake, size and load. havent had any leading issues like i had with pan lubing or tumble lubing.
    Is that a pretty accurate bullet?

I also load for volume, looking for easy cheep and fast, yet accurate.

Have cast for many calibers, and just got into 9mm as well spring 2019. Have a Kimber micro 9 that is surprisingly accurate with them. I can hit a 8" plate 8 out of 10 shots from 40 yds. (Iron sights stranding no rest)

I use the lee 6 cavity 356-125 round nose mold, water dropped with COWW lead, tumble coat powder coat, then lee push through, ends up at 356. I use HP-38, but had good luck with HS-6 as well. Lee progressive press and HP-38, just finished loading up about 2000 rnds. Get a system and you can mass produce them fast.

I just ordered an M&P9 Performance Center M2.0 C.O.R.E. with 5" ported barrel/slide for a better plinking 9mm. Hope it runs the same ammo as well as the Kimber does.

I aso have a second push through lee sizer for .358 powdercoated from that same mold that i use for 38Spl and 357Mag.

All 3 cartridges (same bullet mold) shoot extreemly accurate for me.

Heres a speed ramp I came up with for push through sizing after PC that I use for 9mm and 45. Goes real fast.

https://youtu.be/F0mw3nBEFN4

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It's worth it! Especially when you see the craziness going on every year or so. Loading at $40 per K vs $220+ is still a good savings. Also great for customizing exactly what you want such as subsonics. I always keep a stash of nice mild loads to feed my elderly 80-100 year old guns. I still lube some as well as powder coat. Something just doesn't feel right with me to feed a P08 Luger a Ford Light Blue bullet.

Boolit Master
    berksglh
    Your bullet feeder looks like it works great ! Good job.

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck !

Get something to flare the case mouths , every die set is made to load J-word bullets Not cast and Not powder coated ... the tight case wants to size down your boolit and scrape lead/powder coat off the sides . A Lee Universal Case Expanding Die helps but is actually only a flaring tool ... get it along with a NOE Expander Plug and it will save you a lot of grief ...trust me on this one !!!
    Also make sure the boolits are started straight into the case (easier with the NOE expander plug) if started at an angle ...shaved lead . They must be started straight .
    I used the Lee mould for awhile but soon discovered the NOE 358-124-TC-GC solved ALL my problems ...Yes the Gas Check , it protects the base when seating and allows a softer alloy to be driven over 1,000 fps ... I also load this boolit in 357 magnum and 38 Special +P loads ...
    very versatile design and very accurate to boot .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    There has been a lot posted on loading for the 9mm. It can be a challenge so good luck.

I have never cast for it, but used a lot of commercial cast bullets. I may have been lucky. No issues. Alloy 92-6-2 and hard lube. I load below max...4.1 gr of HP-38 (W231). 122 gr TC Magma bullet. Guns...CZ, Beretta 92, Glock , S&W 5906, Kahr and Kel-Tec Sub 2000.

You should have no problems with PC...no need to lube if you PC.

My reason for reloading with cast is different...saving money. I would shoot jacketed if they were cheap enough.
    Don Verna

Everyone talks about 0.358" bullets for their 9mm, but in my experience, not needed with modern barrels. I was running 0.357" in all my 9mm but getting issues with mixed brass in some guns. So I went back to 0.356", nothing changed accuracy wise in all my 9mm, Glocks, 1911 match. It just didn't seem to matter. So I would try 0.356", maybe 0.357" if powder coating, you might find you are good to go there without issues fat bullets can cause in some brass brands in some pistols.
    FWIW, Is use range scrap & powder coat. I water drop out of the oven for a little bhn bump. I load with an old set or RCBS dies & a 'M' style expander from MBF on my 650.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I have several "modern" 9mm pistols who's barrels slug at .356 or larger. One slugs at .358. I don't shoot that one very much.

I size my 9mm boolits to .357 and they work in all my 9mm firearms except for the one mentioned above.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast