Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collective wisdoms for the Progressive Loader

Boolit Man

Collective wisdoms for the Progressive Loader

I was reminded of something last night while loading and wanted to share it with any new progressive loaders out there. If you start having weird issues with your press, such as with seating primers or consistency issues, never under estimate the value of a good cleaning! Case in point my Pro2000 was doing weird things with primer seating last night. Every now and then it would crush a primer sideways into the pocket. I tore down the priming system, cleaned it up and viola! Back to normal flawless operation!

Another thing I've learned, and was again reminded of while I worked on my priming system, is don't be afraid of oil! I was always leery of getting oil anywhere near my press- don't want to contaminate powder or primer right? Wrong, use it, it will help smooth things out! All those little bits that have to spin, pivot, dip, duck and dodge could use a nice light coat of oil. Just don't put it where it's going to get into your components and you'll be fine.

Anyone else have a wisdom to share?
    Last edited by Chuck Perry; 04-22-2020 at 03:55 PM.

I'm big on cleaning & oiling too.

On & around the powder measure, and primer machinery, I keep them clean, dry, and use car wax on them.
    I used to use graphite powder until I ran out, but had plenty of car wax. Now I use it.

I'm sure oil is fine, I'm just not comfortable with it in certain places.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-22-2020 at 04:01 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Oil, no. Light application of white lithium is another story. I use it on the ram and the lugs on the Lee Turrets and then very lightly on the action rod for the Auto Advance. I'll take a dab on my finger and then rub it into a shop paper towel then use the towel to wipe down parts. Puts on enough grease to just leave a finger print on the metal.

Boolit Master
    I like the Hornady one shot it dries to a wax quickly and penetrates well.
    So after a session I empty the powder measure and any primers left in the feeder And lube the press and powder measure parts lightly that move metal to metal and it keeps them running smoothly only takes a minute and it's ready for the next session. Be fore a session I wipe down plastic powder hoppers and the powder tray on my scale with anti static dryer sheets

Boolit Man
    Since the coronavirus I have had a lot of free time. So I loaded all the ammo I had supplies for. about 9000 rounds After 4000 my dillon rl500b was messing up primers, not indexing correctly, and the primer catch kept dropping them on the floor. needed a good cleaning. It made such a huge difference I have decided to do it every 4000 rounds.

Boolit Master

These get used a lot, so clean and oil it every few thousand rounds.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Develop good habits , such as checking powder drop visually or with a powder check station after every drop , watch the fresh case enter the shell plate so you catch upside down or not fed properly , if you prime on the press feel each primer seat. Take your time on setup and caliber changes before filling case/bullet /primer feeders.
    If you have any kind of stoppage check every station this is when you are most likely to double charge or no charge a case.
    Use powder that works well in you particular powder measure on that press, some powders measure great on my turret but not on my progressive. Feed it what it likes.
    Avoid distractions
    As the man said "make haste slowly" you will still produce much more ammo than on a single stage or turret.

Boolit Bub
    Yep. I have to clean the primer slide on my 550 every few thousand rounds. I spray it with Teflon dry lube or graphite and it runs much better.

I never throw away my outdated toothbrushes, they get run through the dishwasher and used in my shop but I always keep some in my reloading room to clean my presses. They are small and can get into small places. You can always hit them with a bench belt sander to make the narrower.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I never throw away my outdated toothbrushes, they get run through the dishwasher and used in my shop but I always keep some in my reloading room to clean my presses. They are small and can get into small places. You can always hit them with a bench belt sander to make the narrower.
    I have used, used toothbrushes for years and never thought of making them thinner. Dah! What a cool idea. Thanks for posting that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Nice idea on thinning down a toothbrush. I also deprime off of my 550 with my Harvey deprimer. Way less gunk that way.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Heck of a good idea. If only I had some teeth to brush.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaseous Maximus View Post
    Heck of a good idea. If only I had some teeth to brush.
    I should be ashamed of myself for laughing at that.

It reminds me that the tooth brush was a British invention.
    Otherwise- it'd be called a teeth brush.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I keep a vacuum and compressed air next to my progressive's. Not counting when the case feeder drops one upside down I go about 6,000 rounds per stoppage on my 650's and maybe 10,000 on my 1050 per stoppage.

Keep them lubed, clean and adjusted they run like a Swiss Watch. Let them crude up not so much.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I de-prime and tumble cases now, before putting them thru a progressive and have found the need to clean to be a lot less.
    Another tip is in my sig line...
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

There are words of wisdom and experience in this thread. I have also rediscovered the benefits of press cleaning and maintenance on a regular basis.
    Who'd a thunk it. It do make a difference.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I de-prime and tumble cases now, before putting them thru a progressive and have found the need to clean to be a lot less.
    Another tip is in my sig line...
    Me too. The press just works better without all the depriming dirt
    Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Man
    I really like the idea of using air, either canned or from a compressor, on a progressive. Don't know why I never thought of it, especially sitting about 5 feet from one.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Boolit Master
    I think the compressed air is a great idea. I would add a dryer though because any moisture would be bad.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I use a Co2 bottle...it's maybe 36" tall, 10" around....so it doesn't take much space at the end of my bench.....and it's quiet. (no motors) Clean DRY air. A tank will last a long long time if you use it just to clean your progressive.

I also use it to run an airbrush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast