Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite cast muzzloader bullet for deer and elk

Boolit Master
    TC Maxi that I cast

Boolit Master

Add me to the Round ball fans. I have taken every thing from small game to deer and moose with my .54 flintlock. full penetration on even the moose.

Boolit Bub
    In .54 cal I'd go with a PRB. I've tried the 300gr REAL bullet in my slow twist rifle and accuracy was poor.
    In .50 I'd go with the REAL bullet or TC Maxi-Hunter

Boolit Master
    I have taken north of 40 deer, with a .50 and .54 and Hornady great plains bullet were used on about 22 f them, none went over 50 yds, and most went 26", straight down. I have switched to the Lyman Plains bullet in .50-390 grs and .54 -450 grs, with no loss of accuracy and killing power, in the last 25+ deer critters that I have uses them on. I get excellent accuracy, with 2ffg black powder and if you want to put a cardboard, veg fiber was or felt wad, it will usually increase the accuracy a little bit. Up to you to decide on whether the results are enough to add the extra steps for you. One deer I will never forget, was a big old barren doe, in a herd of about 8 does I had jumped, they ran out into the middle of a field, that I had hunted all my life. She stopped and turned broadside blowing and looking at me at I guessed somewhere around 170 yds. I didn't have anything to take a rest on, so I used my rifle sling in a "hasty" sling manner, pulled it tight, set the rear trigger and as my bead stopped right on her spine, I touched the set trigger and when the gun came down out of recoil, I watched the doe spin around a complete circle. She stood there for just a minute, staggered facing me, and in the cold 20 degree air, I saw steam and blood, blow out of both sides, 2 times before she dropped. I love a .54 conical, there aint no critter can stand against one long.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I have taken north of 40 deer, with a .50 and .54 and Hornady great plains bullet were used on about 22 f them, none went over 50 yds, and most went 26", straight down. I have switched to the Lyman Plains bullet in .50-390 grs and .54 -450 grs, with no loss of accuracy and killing power, in the last 25+ deer critters that I have uses them on. I get excellent accuracy, with 2ffg black powder and if you want to put a cardboard, veg fiber was or felt wad, it will usually increase the accuracy a little bit. Up to you to decide on whether the results are enough to add the extra steps for you. One deer I will never forget, was a big old barren doe, in a herd of about 8 does I had jumped, they ran out into the middle of a field, that I had hunted all my life. She stopped and turned broadside blowing and looking at me at I guessed somewhere around 170 yds. I didn't have anything to take a rest on, so I used my rifle sling in a "hasty" sling manner, pulled it tight, set the rear trigger and as my bead stopped right on her spine, I touched the set trigger and when the gun came down out of recoil, I watched the doe spin around a complete circle. She stood there for just a minute, staggered facing me, and in the cold 20 degree air, I saw steam and blood, blow out of both sides, 2 times before she dropped. I love a .54 conical, there aint no critter can stand against one long.
    Seems like a lot of people like that Lyman Plains bullet too. Any mold that casts one similar to that?

50 cal Maxi Ball for me over 90 gr of FF in my T/C System 1 and T/C Renagade. I got to see one this past season like Koger did , had doe tried to sneak by me while I was hunkered down in a fench row she turned up through the field away from me at the shot , when I looked up she had steam blowing out both sides .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    Shot a Caribou in 1975 down on the Alaska Peninsula with a 45 caliber Maxi Ball. it was running by me, at 10 yards. It continued up the hill about 30 feet and stopped. Steam was coming out both sides of the chest cavity. Was overcast and 20 degrees with no wind, the steam clouds were impressive. Several breaths later it expired. Marshall623 story, reminded me of that hunt.

Maxi Balls penetrate
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    A round ball is still the gold standard. While the rules read full bore lead projectile, oddly enough a patched round ball is always exempt. I have no idea if the same round ball with one of those poly patches is legal, but a cloth patch is always allowed. The REAL's I'm sure work great on game, but with very few exceptions shoot very poor. I've tried both 50 and 54 caliber versions, and the best I ever got was about 2 1/2"-3" groups at 50 yards. The great plains worked better, the only problem being they can be hard to load. The maxiball was the best shooting conical I have tried. If you get a modern inline, they are all fast twist barrels. I have not shot mine in some time, but a paper patched 50 caliber bullet sure seemed promising. Also very popular is a bore sized conical like sold by No Excuses bullets.
    The REAL by Lee is a accurate boolit if you use a felt wad /card under it in all my 8 side lock barrels except the 1-18 twist , ,even a 1-60 with the 54 cal Lee REAL

Odd man out here. 44 cal lyman devastator HP in a 44/50 harvester crush rib sabot over SR4759 in a smokeless inline.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The REAL by Lee is a accurate boolit if you use a felt wad /card under it in all my 8 side lock barrels except the 1-18 twist , ,even a 1-60 with the 54 cal Lee REAL
    Here are the guns I've tried it in. 50 caliber, TC Impact, TC Encore, H&R Huntsman. 54 caliber, TC scout pistol, TC Renegade, TC Renegade flintlock, TC new englander.

I tried mostly with Goex, but did try 777. I tried all levels of powder 40-120 grains. I tried casting them of pure lead mostly, but did try 40-1 and 20-1. I tried beagling the mold. I tried felt wads, I tried card wads, I tried plastic wads. Felt wads didn't do anything, even when I tried stacking multiple of them. And since I know you will ask, they were all 100% filled out, hand sorted by measurement with a calipers, and even weighted.

The Lee REAL is accurate enough for a 50 yard shot, but even poor loads with a round ball have been more accurate than the best of the REAL's. The typical groups I got with REAL's were about 5" at 50 yards. A smooth bore can do better. While I am sure it is possible to get them to shoot good in something, given enough time to tinker, there is no good reason to bother when you can go and buy a maxiball mold.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 04-25-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My T.C. Maxi in .54 sidelock. Have taken 8 deer with it. None complained.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    I used T/C Maxi Hunters in the various T/C 50 caliber rifles I've owned over the years. They worked very well in the 1/48" twist and even the Firehawk Inline with a fast twist barrel. All were charged with 65 grains of Geox fffg. Dozens of deer succumbed to that combination. The only Mzlder they wouldn't group in was the T/C White Mountain Carbine with the 1/20" short barrel. That worked well with the 320 grain Lee REAL bullet. Odd how different rifles will or won't work with a standard charge.
    I've mainly used roundballs in the past 5 seasons. But if I were to hunt Elk I believe a 54 would be a better choice.

Boolit Man
    Anyone use the Lee Improved Minie Ball? Looks like an inexpensive mold that produces a bullet that many people get good accuracy with.

Boolit Mold
    I hunt Eastern Washington State with an old CVA sidelock .50 Cal. It absolutely loves the Lee Target Mini Bullet. My last Whitetail was a bang flop at around 80 yards. My last Mule Deer also a bang flop at near 100 yards. Both times the Target Mini was pushed by 80 grains of 3f black powder. I recovered neither bullet, as they both exited on the far side. I am very happy that I missed the shoulders as both exit wounds were rather impressive.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by atl5029 View Post
    Anyone use the Lee Improved Minie Ball? Looks like an inexpensive mold that produces a bullet that many people get good accuracy with.
    I use these, ,make my own .its a whole lot cheaper than store bought, and they are for target practice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by buckleymarka56 View Post
    I use these, ,make my own .its a whole lot cheaper than store bought, and they are for target practice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Could I bother you to send me a couple of those? I have been interested in trying them out but have heard mixed reviews with a slight majority saying they are not very accurate past 50 yards. I'd like to try them in my gun before I get a mold.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I load tested these a week before season last year. They grouped about 2.2” if I remembered at 100 yards with 3, 50 grain pellets of tripple 7 pellets. The alloy is 50/50 and aBH of 10.4... also clear PC’d. My 300 grain TC shock waves shoot all in the same hole so I wimped out. I don’t have the mold anymore but own the 44 cal devistator. I’m going to try some groups with my 16:1 pure and pewter mix. The BH is 7.8 and my velocity with thee pellets at 300 grains are anywhere from 1950/2100 with a 300 grain Thompson center shock wave according to TC velocity charts I found. The problem is every deer I’ve shot always travels a good 60 yards before dropping in less backboned or head shot. I forgot I drilled two in a row right between the eyes that dropped on the spot about 15 or ors years ago. Both dropped where they stood and never kicked. I posted a pick of a runner with a poor blood trail with the shock wave this past year. Little deer went a good 80/100 yards and no blood till the last 15 yards and dropped. Good thing he never knew where the shot came from and ran right past me (almost arms reach) instead of the other direction and dropped about 25 yards from where I stood. The 265 grain 44 cal devastator should be screaming and make a huge hole I’m guessing. I’ve shot dozens of deer with muzzle loaders and all have ran like they weren’t hit accept for a paralyzing backbone shot on one that I had to finish off. I’m hoping the shock of the lighter cast boolit and energy transfer of the softer lead and HP knocks it to the ground faster.

This is the group buy 450 BM 300 grain mold boolit I tried last year. These hit almost to exact POA as the shock waves at 100 yards! I used three of my original shock wave sabots to test them. Most accurate sabot out there imo. I’m shooting these out of a TC omega. The gun shoots 4” groups at 300 yards off the bench with the shockwave load! I still have a bunch of these I casted left so who knows maybe I’ll try them this year. I just figured since they are in a sabot I’d rather try a softer alloy first for a larger entrance, exit, better energy transfer, and shock value. I’d like to be able to hit them behind the shoulder and drop them like a ballistic tip does on a coyote.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-27-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by atl5029 View Post
    I did not try the smaller one, I got the 54-415M, and they are a lot better than the REAL in my Renegade. They were not as accurate as a round ball, maxiball, or great plains. They are not as fun to cast as a solid bullet, and accuracy starts to head south fast after about 70 grains of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I did not try the smaller one, I got the 54-415M, and they are a lot better than the REAL in my Renegade. They were not as accurate as a round ball, maxiball, or great plains. They are not as fun to cast as a solid bullet, and accuracy starts to head south fast after about 70 grains of powder.
    Anything you hit with 415 grains in 54 cal likely does not need more than 70 grains of powder to kill it dead.

Planning to try out my 54 Grey Hawk (stainless New Englander) with a Lyman plains and an old Lyman minie with a thick skirt later this week. My shoulder already aches pre-emptively. I think the plains bullets weighed 450 grains and the minies weren't far behind.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Anything you hit with 415 grains in 54 cal likely does not need more than 70 grains of powder to kill it dead.

Planning to try out my 54 Grey Hawk (stainless New Englander) with a Lyman plains and an old Lyman minie with a thick skirt later this week. My shoulder already aches pre-emptively. I think the plains bullets weighed 450 grains and the minies weren't far behind.
    This is true, but when a round ball shoots more accurately, and shoots flatter, I don't see a reason to mess with them. The maxiball has a place if you feel a 54 caliber ball won't provide enough penetration. I would use a ball on an elk without second thought myself. The Hornady great plains has a thick skirt, and shoots good, but I don't much like the hollow point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast