RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington 788 In 22-250

Remington 788 In 22-250

Any you fellas loading cast for the 788 in 22-250?

Have anything to recommend?
    Molds?
    Seating depth?
    How hard the alloy?
    Loads?

A member here whose identity escapes me sent some .225" 45gr and 58gr boolits with aluminum gas checks. With minimal load development( Lyman CBH) I have discovered a whole nother way to enjoy my all time favorite cartridge. Using Unique or Red Dot, the 58s going at an estimated 1800 fps are a blast. I seat them long for my Tikka T3. I'm getting a mud turtle every time I pass the pond on sunny days. The trouble is- they aren't Lyman or Lee boolits. I'll have to post a pic of one so someone can tell me which mould they came from. A 788 22-250 was my first center fire rifle. Sorry I'm not much help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

There's one in a LGS here in really nice shape for a reasonable asking price I'm trying to resist going and buying. I like 788s.

I have had a lut of fun with cast in .22 Hornet. Hasn't panned out too well in .222. Seems like the .22-250's bigger case would make it even worse, but you never can tell.

I'd heard the same thing we all have about large case capacity having a negative effect on cat sneeze loads. With a fast powder, I like TiteGroup. it just hasn't seemed to be a problem. My Savage heavy barreled 22-250 has the 1in14 twist so it prefers a lighter bullet but shoots like a 22mag with 55gr. and lighter cast bullets. 6 to 8gr. TiteGroup.. Using bullets from my Noe 258-120-FN even my 25-06 will shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100yrds. with 16 to 17gr. of IMR 4227. Don't let case capacity scare you away from some fun shooting reduced loads. Gp

These are what I'm using ( the 56gr). I'm hoping someone recognizes the boolits. I didnt find them in the Lyman book.

Boolit Buddy
    Texas by God I sent you those samples and the 44 grain is the little lyman 438 and the bigger one is the mihec 65 grain nato. They are lubed with bac ............................curdog

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    Texas by God I sent you those samples and the 44 grain is the little lyman 438 and the bigger one is the mihec 65 grain nato. They are lubed with bac ............................curdog
    Thanks again then, curdog! I just loaded some of the 44gr ones over a pinch of Bullseye and large pistol primers. I hope to try them later today. I put the old K10 on the Tikka for all this playing.

Last edited by Texas by God; 04-26-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    There's one in a LGS here in really nice shape for a reasonable asking price I'm trying to resist going and buying. I like 788s.

I have had a lut of fun with cast in .22 Hornet. Hasn't panned out too well in .222. Seems like the .22-250's bigger case would make it even worse, but you never can tell.
    Don't resist just go on and buy it . You can resist something else later .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned

I probably should, I've always liked the 788s.

Boolit Master
    I am kind of a fuddy duddy about cast I guess and when I think cast in a 22-250 I sort of cringe as I am so used to screaming varmint loads. I would put the .243 Win in the same category but there are lots of folks doing great work with the 6 mm class and cast!

My lower threshold has been 25 caliber, I have a slew of 25’s to work with (.25-20 Win, 25-35 Win, .25 Rem, 250 Sav, .257 Roberts, I have 25-06 and a 257 STW but I do not anticipate those two largest cartridges for cast). A member here has been dangling his .225” mold at me and I might just have to engage my .222 in a 788 Rem?

I had to park my 788 in 22-250 when it started running j-words sideways (sad too because it has a Canjar single set trigger on it) but in it’s hey day I tried some reduced loads with J words and it looked good as a 2000 FPS shooter. It printed dead on at 100 yds with my full house rounds at 1.5” high. Just perfect!

Thre44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”