Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw a Mountain Lion

Boolit Master

Saw a Mountain Lion

Was leaving the range yesterday and as I drove out a mountain lion ran across the road in front of me. Was amazed to say the least as I didn't think of SE KY as a place I would ever see one. Was impressed by its size and beauty, was less than 50 yards away. Could see the muscles flex under its skin as it trotted across the road. Really made my day, have seen trail cam pics of them when I lived in WI but this was the first time I had seen a live one. Looking at its size and obvious strength easy to see why they are apex predators.

Boolit Master

When you see one there is no doubt about what it is- not a bobcat not a lynx not a large house cat. A mountain lion! They are a sight to see for sure. In 2018 or 19 MI DNR admitted to a
    Population in he lower peninsula. After years of people
    Seeing them and getting them on trail cams. They were already a problem around the rapid river. As deer population was down and by the amount of skeletons we saw along the river I’d guess as to what the cause was.
    About 2007 a buddy killed one that was stalking him, like walking parallel to him and didn’t run away when he yelled and just walked closer when he threw rocks at it. When he told us about it we all said “bobcat” and he said nope never been afraid of a bobcat.when we went to see the thing we saw another one, two nights later we saw a young one cross the trail so close to us that we could see it had porky pine quills in its face.
    They are amazing and indeed an apex killer but I think our ancestors were on to something by keepin the population down- I have livestock and small kids- both easy meals for a 150-200 pound cat.
    Last edited by nagantguy; 04-21-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Boolit Bub
    They are really impressive when seen in real life. I've seen two in the wild.

I saw one cross in front of me at a range of about 50 yards. There is no mistaking the profile of a mountain lion when you clearly see one.
    Unfortunately when I tell people I saw one, they react like I just told them I saw a flying saucer.
    New Hampshire is not supposed to have mountain lions here!
    But I'm not the only one that has seen it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Same thing here. The Pa game commision. Claims we do not have Mt loins. But yet folks report seeing them.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

We have some in Minnesota, there are sightings from time to time but you cant shoot them even if they are attacking pets and/or livestock!

It gets confusing since depending on the locality, people call them Pumas, Cougars and Mountain Lions around here, not sure which is the most accurate.

The only one I saw was when I was snowshoeing and stopped for a snack, the Cougar crossed the path with a rabbit in its mouth, didn't even look my way. It had a lot of grey on its face and in its jacket and looked pretty big to me but I was startled so it looked YOUGE!

Beautiful cat, I hope to see another one some day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Same thing here. The Pa game commision. Claims we do not have Mt loins. But yet folks report seeing them.
    This has been case for decades now . I'm still up in the air about if there's a population in Pa . Yeah lots of people say they seen them but there's never been one shot or trapped or hit by car ect or any really solid evidence as many trail cameras are in use now there should be some clear undeniable photos but that's not the case .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

There some that show up around me ,I did not see them but there foot prints. I had talk to some that has seen them. Like I also seen so far 3 wolfs go past my house and seen there footprints also in the yard and on the trap line.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    This has been case for decades now . I'm still up in the air about if there's a population in Pa . Yeah lots of people say they seen them but there's never been one shot or trapped or hit by car ect or any really solid evidence as many trail cameras are in use now there should be some clear undeniable photos but that's not the case .
    Hi...
    I hunt and hike in the Cameron and Elk County region of northern Pennsylvania. I gave seen bobcats but never a mountain lion.
    Having said that, I have found some pretty large cat tracks in the Mosquito Creek area that looked much to large to be bobcat tracks.
    People that live in that area swear that there are mountain lions in the area.

The PA. Game Commission swears there are no mountain lions in Pennsylvania. Of course, they also said there were no coyotes in Pennsylvania, even when people were routinely shooting them, so I gave limited confidence in the honesty of what the Game Commission says.

Moderator Emeritus

I had one run across the road in front of me with red all down it's face and neck. 45 was in the back and he was gone by the time I could reach it. I have seen 5 that I remember and none were mistakable. When that tail moves you think lion. Also the stench is recognizable in cat country.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

My paternal grandfather hunted "panthers" with dogs on our land during the early 1900s. I saw one when I was 14 and my sister in law saw one ten years ago here. Texas lets you kill them but the TPWD asks to be notified if you do for their studies.
    Never doubt that Anything is in the wilderness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've seen one. Wife and I both saw it. Juvenile ran across the road in front of us at night. We saw it clear as day about 10 yards ahead of us. About the size of a large bobcat but had the long tail.

I know a guy that traps, he's seen one. Biologists say there aren't any around here though. Hogwash.

Boolit Master
    If you have deer, you probably have the big kitties around whether the "experts" say so or not. In our neighborhood, we kind of like them because they eat the coyotes which we all don't like. We have had so many of the kitties around in the last couple years, our deer are getting mighty scarce but that will all change in the next couple years with all the incredible amount of logging that went on nearby before the virus arrived. That logging created a lot of new deer habitat with lots of new food while leaving the big kitties with not much hunting cover. BTW - My local butcher who does my deer has encouraged me to bring one in because he says they make the best sausages EVER. His specialty is all manners of European sausages.

I have always been told that the NH Fish and Game cannot say definitively that Mountain Lions are here. They DO say on occasion, when there is irrefutable proof, they are just passing through.
    To admit they are living here apparently triggers all kinds of federal regulations they would rather live without.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Mountain lions are a problem in CA. since our state banned the killing of the lions. In my area we had a guy camping at a mountain campground at a river that was attacked while sleeping in his sleeping bag. He was able to fight off the lion by punching it in the nose, but he received some severe injuries during the fight. I had a friend that was jumped by a mountain lion while sitting in some brush using a turkey call during the turkey hunting season. Most folks in my area practice the three "S's" if a lion is seen on their property. Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
    I have also watched a lion take down a deer doe about 50 yards from me. The lion grabbed the doe by the throat and pulled it down to the ground and killed it by crushing the throat. The lion then straddled the deer and pulled it uphill behind a fallen log and proceeded to have it's dinner.
    Our deer herds have suffered alot since the state banned hunting of the lions.

Boolit Buddy
    Seen a few over the years, one was only about three feet away, but I was inside my truck. A couple times a year they are seen in and about town (Boise) both in daylight and at night. They do move fast when they want to. Winter and spring time walks in the foothills need to consider possible encounters with one. Oh yeah, they do eat dog! But they are not fond of packs!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

On two occasions I have seen a mountain lion in Pike Co. Ky.
    A mine supply employee that made night deliveries claimed see had seen a black one on multiple occasions in Martin/Johnson Co. Ky.

Old lady from church called the game warden all out of breath. A mountain lion was coming in her yard. Game warden scoffed at her. There are no mountain lions South of minneapolis! She said she'd shoot it and show it to him. You better not! He answered. So, I'm the feeble minded old lady seeing things but I had better not shoot it. Which is it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have always been told that the NH Fish and Game cannot say definitively that Mountain Lions are here. They DO say on occasion, when there is irrefutable proof, they are just passing through.
    To admit they are living here apparently triggers all kinds of federal regulations they would rather live without.
    In our neighborhood we don't talk about the spotted owls or marbled murrelets either for exactly the same reason. Bureaucrats wandering around the neighborhood are much more dangerous than mountain lions.

I saw one in Huntingdon Co. Pa. about 60 years ago The Game Commission was saying they didn't exist back then too.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast