Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do propane turkey/fish cookers get hot enough to melt lead?

Banned

do propane turkey/fish cookers get hot enough to melt lead?

I'd really appreciate any info. thanks.

Lots of guys use them.

Make sure yours has a strong enough frame to handle however much weight you'll be putting on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Turkey fryers are probably the most popular way for "smelting" the lead. They get plenty hot. Like Winger Ed says beware of the amount of weight you put on and how strong your stand is. It doesn't take much lead to start getting into the several hundred pounds category.

Boolit Master

I used to use one with no issues in performance. I found that melting was improved by riveting together a skirt to go around the pot and top of the burner frame, to help retain otherwise lost heat around the edges.

Bulldogger

Boolit Master

Yep,
    but I only have a 12" Dutch Oven, that's about 60lb's max.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I use one. It will get too hot quick. Figure a quart of lead is about 25 pounds so it doesn't take long to get pretty heavy.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    A Coleman stove gets plenty hot, shouldn't be any problem with a turkey fryer except that you might be wasting a lot of gas using it. If you're doing big batches, of course, it will take longer. Or you can build your own burner from water pipe and MIG nozzles. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/475...burner-design/ is a link to a group of guys doing forge builds. The developer of the "Mikey" burner even tells how to find pirated copies of his book on the subject. He's a good guy. I was going to say you could buy his book on Amazon, but it's apparently out of print. Some of the prices there are high, and some are strictly ridiculous! I own a copy, and have one complete, and one in parts, of his 3/8" burners.

Boolit Master
    The burners have more than enough heat, but even the 200,000+ BTU Bayou double jet burner I use doesn't work all that well unless you have a wind break around the burner and a thermal jacket around the pot as Bulldogger suggests.

Boolit Master

I have 2 or 3 that I use. Ditto on the skirt/windbreak around the pot and burner. That will conserve a lot of propane. I have one pot that'll hold about 500lb. I just use a cheap Turkey or fish fryer burner.

Boolit Master
    I did learn that some of the newer ones have been lawyered up and now have a deadman timer on them that have to be reset every so often to keep them on. My 20 yr old Bayou Classic doesn’t have this nonsense and works fine with a 6 qt Dutch oven

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Yep,
    but I only have a 12" Dutch Oven, that's about 60lb's max.
    Most 12" Dutch ovens are around 9 quarts. Lead is ~25 lbs per quart. Call it 200 lbs.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    My old turkey/ fish fryer is in the 54-55,000 BTU range, (I'm not going out to check right now), and it melts lead just fine.

It came with a square base made from light weight stamped steel that easily supported two hundred pounds. I know this because I got on top of it and tested it before I tried to melt 100 pounds of wild wheel weights.

I have since built a new base from ¼" thick angle iron; not because it was too light, but because the original one lost an argument with a pickup tire. When the daughter first had her driver's license she backed into it.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Think mine is a bayou that I modified a weber grill and station to use as a smelting station. Wrapped a welding blanket around it to act as a wind screen. Works great.

Vendor Sponsor
    Absolutely this is my setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

For years I have smelted using an old Weber propane grill a friend gave me. I put the lead in a pot, fire it up and close the lid. If there is water or whatever in the lead the closed lid keeps the tinsel fairy at bay.

BB

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    For years I have smelted using an old Weber propane grill a friend gave me. I put the lead in a pot, fire it up and close the lid. If there is water or whatever in the lead the closed lid keeps the tinsel fairy at bay.

BB
    As long as you aren’t adding to an already melted pot you don’t have to worry about it. The water cooks off long before the lead melts.

Happiness is a warm .45

Yes, I was able to run a lead dripper operation using one a few years back. I had the jet type not the stove burner type. Think it has more BTU's.

Agree with being sure frame will take that much weight, and remember, that frame gets hot. Hot steel won't hold what cold steel does.

I set mine up just inside the garage, big door open, so I had shade, wind protection. If out in the open I would do a windscreen.

Use one for smelting, but use an electric pot for better temperature control when casting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ll=1#post91633

That was a long time ago and the price is probably higher.

YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE AN ALUMINUM POT.
    Last edited by wills; 04-20-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Hot steel won't hold what cold steel does
    I use a 40lb smelting pot on a modified turkey fryer. I used 3/16 treadplate with a hole cut out that the pot locks into. Also added angle iron supports that run right at the edge of the cutout. When it is hot it does sink from the weight, just enough that my ingot molds fill more to one side. A larger pot and I might have a mess.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I use a 40lb smelting pot on a modified turkey fryer. I used 3/16 treadplate with a hole cut out that the pot locks into. Also added angle iron supports that run right at the edge of the cutout. When it is hot it does sink from the weight, just enough that my ingot molds fill more to one side. A larger pot and I might have a mess.
    What kind of fryer do you have? Mine is made out of what looks like rebar and I regularly smelt 100+ pounds in it without any issues.

Happiness is a warm .45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast