Thread: 9,3x57 cast bullet loading data

Boolit Mold

9,3x57 cast bullet loading data

who shoots cast in their 9,3x57?
    what is reasonable 100 yard accuracy?
    what loads do you use?
    do you hunt with it?

Boolit Master

i have a GERMAN sporting rifle built on a small ring, large thread mauser action. it is a very trim rifle and lets me know just how trim it is every time i touch the trigger. i has a 24" very slim barrel which helps with the velocity. it sports a barrel banded front ramp and a receiver mounted peep. with this rifle using varget, 270 speers, and reformed remington 8x57 brass i can get under 2" at 100 and about 5" at 200. plenty good for this setup, as i use this for either bear hunting or when we do deer drives. it is also wonderful to haul out durring our clubs "sight in days". we'll have some lawer/doctor type with the newest/greatest thing ever made that couldn't hit the side of the barn if standing in it, and i'll sit down next to him and crack off 5 in a row at the 6" gong at 200 yards as fast as i can, hitting every time. i love being a like that sometimes. :takinWiz:

Results at 100 yards, 24 grains of 5744 behind 270g Mt Baldy boolits sized at .367

MV is somewhere around 1600 fps. Probably why the target strike is low and right of POI.

I'm getting limited success with 358 boolits paper-patched to groove diameter over 43 grains of IMR3031. Good velocity but get occasional fliers at 100 yds. Pretty cool to see the paper strips flying out radially in the muzzle blast.

My Husky has a such long freebore that cast boolits can't touch the lands. Anyway, my research is at a standstill until I get some more boolits from Mt Baldy or get a custom mould cut.

Nels
    Last edited by Nelsdou44; 11-26-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master

we tried to get a group buy here a while back but it died. maybe search back and find that thread and revive it. please.

Done.

Boolit Mold
    I've got some cast with gas checks,some regular cast[285 gr],currently using IMR 4064, but have also some 3031, H4350,and IMR 4895.I'm using a Husky based on a 96 action.Unfortionately, very little load data is available,and I'm relying on information from other Husky owners

rather,

Out of those powders I'd try the IMR4895 behind some of those GC 285s at about 36~38 grains. Should put you in the 1700 fps range.

Nels

Boolit Mold
    Cartridge: 9,3X57
    Bullet: LBT LCFN 300grs.GC .(WW+1%tin water dropped room temp water 16 bhn)
    Charge: 47grs. N140
    Primer: Federal 210
    Bullet lube: LBT Blue Soft.
    Ctg. length: 76mm.
    So far 4 Moose (one Bull Moose 120Yds. Boolit exit one shot bagged)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannod View Post
    Cartridge: 9,3X57
    Bullet: LBT LCFN 300grs.GC .(WW+1%tin water dropped room temp water 16 bhn)
    Charge: 47grs. N140
    Primer: Federal 210
    Bullet lube: LBT Blue Soft.
    Ctg. length: 76mm.
    So far 4 Moose (one Bull Moose 120Yds. Boolit exit one shot bagged)
    Welcome to the Castboolit forum Hannod and congratulations on your hunting success with your 9.3X57..
    What rifle are you shooting your 9.3's out of?
    I don't have access to N140 loading data so I am wondering what the vel. you are getting for your load.
    I have a 96 Husky and 98 Husky on 9.3X57 but haven't had time to load and shoot for them lately..
    Last edited by Nrut; 06-28-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Boolit Mold

Birthdaytoday

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Welcome to the Castboolit forum Hannod and congratulations on your hunting success with your 9.3X57..
    What rifle are you shooting your 9.3's out of?
    I don't have access to N140 loading data so I am wondering what the vel. you are getting for your load.
    I have a 96 Husky and 98 Husky on 9.3X57 but haven't had time to load and shoot for them lately..
    Hello! This loading was laborated by me for my friends model 46 Husqvarna.
    Me myself has a Husqvarna model 146 with a brand new Lothar Walther button rifled barrel (cut to original profile) never fired a jacketed bullet and never will.
    The Mooses declared was shot by my friend Jonny (the guy with the model 46) and he is responsible for over 100 Mooses with 6,5 Swedish and 9,3mm. Mauser.
    He is the test guy of my creatings and he wants more of the 9,3:s.
    There is no signs of overpressure in either the 46 nor 98 with 47 grs. N140.
    The powder is finnish (Finland) and is similar to Norma 203B. It`s faster than IMR 3031 but quite similar to IMR 4895 (be careful, go from down to up). They say that a BHN of 12 is better for thin skinned animals and I agree, but that will take me a new lab. and field tests on big game that may take maybe 4-5 Years until it`s something to release in press. I have an old Oeler model 33 and I will cronograf the 9,3 cartridges and be back for information, but they are in the 2000-2100 fps. Window./ Hans.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=Hannod;1317311]Hello! This loading was laborated by me for my friends model 46 Husqvarna.
    Me myself has a Husqvarna model 146 with a brand new Lothar Walther button rifled barrel (cut to original profile) never fired a jacketed bullet and never will.
    The Mooses declared was shot by my friend Jonny (the guy with the model 46) and he is responsible for over 100 Mooses with 6,5 Swedish and 9,3mm. Mauser.
    The powder is finnish (Finland) and is similar to Norma 203B. It`s slower than IMR 3031 but quite similar to IMR 4895 (be careful, go from down to up). They say that a BHN of 12 is better for thin skinned animals and I agree, but that will take me a new lab. and field tests on big game that may take maybe 4-5 Years until it`s something to release in press. I have an old Oeler model 33 and I will cronograf the 9,3 cartridges and be back for information, but they are in the 2000-2100 fps. Window. Good luck /Hans

I've recently aquired a x62 and a x57. the x57 is not put together yet the but x62 is complete.

haven't had time to shoot them yet, but after reading the effectiveness of them, I can see myself using them lots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannod View Post
    Hello! This loading was laborated by me for my friends model 46 Husqvarna.
    The powder is finnish (Finland) and is similar to Norma 203B. It`s faster than IMR 3031 but quite similar to IMR 4895 (be careful, go from down to up). They say that a BHN of 12 is better for thin skinned animals and I agree, but that will take me a new lab. and field tests on big game that may take maybe 4-5 Years until it`s something to release in press. I have an old Oeler model 33 and I will cronograf the 9,3 cartridges and be back for information, but they are in the 2000-2100 fps. Window./ Hans.
    Hannod,
    A 300gr boolit at 2000-2100 should really put the hurt on a moose!
    No wonder your friend likes your 9.3 cast boolits..
    I will have to try H4895 under my 283gr. NEI boolit this summer if it ever quits raining!

Boolit Mold

Red face

H4895 and 283 gr. boolit in 9,3x57 makes me forget a rainy day!
    You gonna be lucky and i already sending my gratulations.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I've recently aquired a x62 and a x57. the x57 is not put together yet the but x62 is complete.

haven't had time to shoot them yet, but after reading the effectiveness of them, I can see myself using them lots.
    Itīs over 30 years now, but i remember a phone call to my daddy when i told him that i was going to hunt Moose for the first time with our relatives back home.
    I told him that Iīm gonna have my Onkels 6,5 and he yield back:
    NO.NO.NO... Liss`n if you gan have the 9,3X62... Itīs a KANOON!

I have a 9.3x62 and have read where I can expect 2400-2500 max loads with a 290gr boolit, or a 286gr J-word.

I'm not sure I'd want to shoot that too often, but it would be nice to develop a load of that level to have on hand for hunting if one needed to reach out a bit.

otherwise, I'm thinking 290gr boolit around 2100fps gives one about 250yds minute of moose!
    and that should be quite gentle

Boolit Mold

9,3x62

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I have a 9.3x62 and have read where I can expect 2400-2500 max loads with a 290gr boolit, or a 286gr J-word.

I'm not sure I'd want to shoot that too often, but it would be nice to develop a load of that level to have on hand for hunting if one needed to reach out a bit.

otherwise, I'm thinking 290gr boolit around 2100fps gives one about 250yds minute of moose!
    and that should be quite gentle
    Did you know that a 300-320 gr. Boolit from a 9,3X62 outperformes and outpenetrates 270 gr boolit from a 375H.H Magum according to Australian Buffalo hunting guides.

Hello, here is my little cannon, 9.2x62 that I put togheter some time a go, older commercial banner mauser action, Lothar Walther barrel, Bobinga wood stock of my design, I will reload 286gr boolit next year, the ordered mold should be ready by december.
    Cheers
    ________
    roberto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p33-9.3x62 mauser.jpg   p34-9.3x62 mauser.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto mervicini View Post
    Hello, here is my little cannon, 9.2x62 that I put togheter some time a go, older commercial banner mauser action, Lothar Walther barrel, Bobinga wood stock of my design, I will reload 286gr boolit next year, the ordered mold should be ready by december.
    Cheers
    ________
    roberto
    Roberto....!

this will be the mold. The boolit....sorry not 286 as prviously stated, is 280gr. available in configuration GC , plain or HP, if you interested look up the post on this forum " 9.3 SMALL GROUP BUY"
    Best Regards
    ________
    roberto
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 368280GrFNMould.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast