RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Lee Mold Handles

Boolit Master

Lee Mold Handles

Casting about for something to spend my Cabelas Bucks on since they dropped all their good clothing I settled on Lee Mold handles. I had 1 pair I was sharing with all my molds. I bought 4 pair to get free shipping. Total overkill but there was nothing else on the site I wanted and the Bucks had been sitting there since before they had that horrible case of bass.

So when did Lee start tapering their handles?

I look closely at the handles when they arrived and none of the tips lined up. The left fork tip was an average 1/8" inch higher than the right (as you use them), none of them exactly the same. I thought of running the center bolt loose ...... not. I tightened the center bolts, drug out the oxy/acetylene, heated across the fork where the chalk line is and straightened the offending fork. I installed the handles on the molds and checked the fit. Because the current Convid 19 orders are to make each project bigger than it really needs to be I am offering a write up and pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leehandles.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Lots of handles reported a few months back that were messed up. Don't call Lee they say nothing is wrong with them. Call Cabela's and tell them they are defective and you want to return them for new ones. Hopefully they are from a different lot of handles

Banned

I bought a pair from Amazon a few months ago and they are fine.......just the luck of the draw I guess!

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Handles ... American Made ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Don't know where they're made. I do like the Lee handles due to them being relatively thin when a mold is attached. One of my pains is holding a heavy 4 cavity MP Mold when it's full of lead. MP handles are thicker and my hand gets tired quicker.

As far as the handles not being exactly plumb, I find they'll come loose soon enough and you'll be gluing them (or 2 part epoxy) anyway. Just smack them on a hard surface a little harder on the long side. It's what I did until I got out the epoxy.

Banned

It is not the wood that is the problem it is the metal tongs themselves that are not machined right or they are twisted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I think so, no country of origin on the handles or box. I think they are sintered steel or MIM. The last ones were really hard so I put some heat to them before bending. Easier than sending them back.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    It is not the wood that is the problem it is the metal tongs themselves that are not machined right or they are twisted.
    Ya, the handles line up perfectly. LOL They likely came out of the oven wrong. All the Lee handles I've had in the past were fine. New guy on the production line.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ves-in-America
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I bought a pair from Amazon a few months ago and they are fine.......just the luck of the draw I guess!
    Same here. Fit a set of molds that were not the usual either - not Lyman, or RCBS, or Lee.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I have Lee & MP handles. I prefer the design of the Lee & the execution of the MP. The Lee positions the mold closer to the hand whereas the MP puts the weight of the mold out (like a devining rod).

I had the same problem that you experienced. My problem with Lee:
    1. The CS says to use it in the misaligned condition & it'd work OK (?).
    2. They sent me a replacement (1 side) metal piece (a $6.00 item) free, but the shipping charge was $7.00.
    3. The replacement part they sent me was not any better than the original.

I ended up aligning them myself using heat.

Question: assuming some machine didn't put the handles into the box, why didn't someone catch the misalignment to start with? Answer: management.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    I have Lee & MP handles. I prefer the design of the Lee & the execution of the MP. The Lee positions the mold closer to the hand whereas the MP puts the weight of the mold out (like a devining rod).
    Lee also opens wider than MP. Looking at both side by side, if you cut 5/8" off the end of the MP wood handles they would be about the same. Maybe take more off to fit your hand. Might want to knock one of the handle off to see how deep the hole is.

Lee handles used to be a LOT better, sad to see the quality slip.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    I have had to torch a few also. You can file them down to fit other molds-but cheap labor if you are bored. The older ones were better.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A month ago I almost bought a couple of pairs to make the minimum shipping charge more worth while. I’m glad I didn’t now. Never had any that didn’t come with the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    Don't know where they're made. I do like the Lee handles due to them being relatively thin when a mold is attached. One of my pains is holding a heavy 4 cavity MP Mold when it's full of lead. MP handles are thicker and my hand gets tired quicker.

As far as the handles not being exactly plumb, I find they'll come loose soon enough and you'll be gluing them (or 2 part epoxy) anyway. Just smack them on a hard surface a little harder on the long side. It's what I did until I got out the epoxy.
    They will loosen up for sure but here is my fix for that. I just drill and tap for 8-32 and screw the handles on.Attachment 260983
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Here's MP and Lee side by side, MP on the left. I may just shorten the MPs to better fit my hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handles.jpg  
    Mal

I had some Lee handles that were too thick to fit in slot of steel mold. Had to file, a lot.