Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Lee Enfield .45acp conversion

Boolit Buddy

My Lee Enfield .45acp conversion

Sorry but no before pics.

This is the first of my two Rhineland kit conversions. Don't have a donor rifle for the second kit yet.

Anyway, Getting the old barrel off was a bit of a chore. Ended up twisting the barrel in the vice which surprised me. After that we chucked up in the lathe and with a parting tool cut it down to the depth of the shank threads. Popped right off then.

The stock on this rifle was sporterized so I didn't have any concern of making it a bit shorter to match the barrel. Spent most of a day sanding off the thick dark brown finish which reveled some decent wood that I oil stained.

Had to make a barrel nut wrench out of scraps since I didn't have one. Looks funky but works great.

Bore sighted it with iron sights then went out back and shot 25 rounds. Was able to hit 6" gongs at 50 yards off hand. I have the L type flip sight on the rear which is ranged for 300 & 600 yards. Was hoping that once the 300 yard aperture is sighted in at 50 yards than the 600 yard would be good for 100. We'll see.

It's working but still tweaking a few things. I'll finish the metal once its dialed in.

Edit to correct spelling.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 04-20-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I think it wants a hand guard and a screw-on comb as used on the No.4 Mk I(T) rifles. But that's just me. My more practical concern is that the Colt pistol magazine would preclude overly long hand loaded cartridges with cast bullets weighing more than 230 grains--which may be of no importance to you whatsoever.

Boolit Grand Master

Hope you have 6 cavity mould and a progressive press......I'm glad I did with my M98 Rhineland...….amazing how much 45 ACP ammo I go through...…..Thought I used a lot back shooting IPSC.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Hope you have 6 cavity mould and a progressive press......I'm glad I did with my M98 Rhineland...….amazing how much 45 ACP ammo I go through...…..Thought I used a lot back shooting IPSC.....
    When I was shooting IPSC I was going through a LOT of ammo. Can't imagine shooting more than that, especially with a bolt gun. It does sound like fun though.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

That is the one problem about this board. The ones who give you the lusts and then the enablers take over. And yes I would love to have one, just no lath to work with. james

Banned

Now that's cool!

I like it! I learned the hard way about parting cuts as well.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    I think it wants a hand guard and a screw-on comb as used on the No.4 Mk I(T) rifles. But that's just me. My more practical concern is that the Colt pistol magazine would preclude overly long hand loaded cartridges with cast bullets weighing more than 230 grains--which may be of no importance to you whatsoever.
    I actually thought of the No5 flash hider front sight with hand guard for a mini Jungle Carbine! I'm happy how it's turning out nonetheless.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Larry,
    Just picked up a 2 cavity mold and started my foray into casting. Have enough lead for a few thou... but only 2 single stage presses. Been thinking of a turret press might be better for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Now that's cool!
    Thank you.
    I think it's dialed in enough to finish the metal. Not sure if I want to paint it or hot blue. Have had good success with quality auto paint. Duplicolor semi-flat ceramic based paint baked for an hour at 400-450* is very durable and solvent proof.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like it! I learned the hard way about parting cuts as well.....
    I was hoping to save the barrel, it had a very good bore. When I say I twisted the barrel... I really did put an 1/8 turn twist from the front sight to the knox form, so it was trashed. Either way it needed to have that cut to relieve the pressure on the shoulder and receiver face....

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a mocked up De Lisle clone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzaVil5joc

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Maybe a mocked up De Lisle clone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtzaVil5joc
    Oh, I wish!
    If your gonna go to that much effort making a mock up why not just go all the way and get the stamp and have a real one? That would be cool! Or just do a Form 1 and build your own suppressor. All legal and legit.

Boolit Grand Master
    It looks like you did a nice job on it.
    Don Verna

Looks Great John, You built that pretty quick since finally getting the conversion parts.
    I finished a barrel recently by using Birchwood Casey brown finish, put on 3 coats of brown, rubbed down with OOOO steel wool and rinsed off with water between coats reheated each time then a couple coats of cold blue paste over the brown.
    The good part is you can do all that in a couple hours and be done with it and it looks good once you get it to stop rusting. One problem with that method is you do get a different color with different metals so for a whole gun it might not be ideal.

Jedman

Right on, Jedman. My 1917 receiver and 1989 barrel turned out different shades of brown. I still like it, though. TBX4- I twisted a Orberndorf made 1909 Peruvian Action by using the wrong tools!

Boolit Grand Master
    Curious how accurate these conversions are. I would love having a pistol caliber bolt gun. But want about
    3” groups with cast bullets at 100 yards.

I understand they can be problematic feeding 200 gr SWC’s in Mauser actions. Is the Enfield a better option?

What kind of velocity could I expect using a 16” barrel with 200 and 230 gr bullets running +P+ pressure?

Am I better off getting one of the Ruger bolt guns that were made in .357 and .44 Mag?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It looks like you did a nice job on it.
    Thanks Don.

The originals shortened the bolts and set the barrel deeper into the action than a standard barrel. I take it these conversion kits are just a bolt up and done conversion, or do you have to alter the action?

Boolit Buddy
    Jed,
    Yes, it went together pretty fast once the barrel came off. I'm gonna look into the Birchwood Casey browning. My cold bluing attempts look good at first but start to fade from handling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast