MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersPBcastcoLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Lee enfield no5 mk1 barrel twist rate

Lee enfield no5 mk1 barrel twist rate

Ok so I got a no5 mk 1 Jungle Carbine a real one not a reworked no4 and was wondering if anyone new the twist rate and how large of a boolit could I likely stabilize with it the wondering zero has been fixed years ago by my dad and the old ww2 vet that taught me to shoot when I was 9. Any help would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    Ok so I got a no5 mk 1 Jungle Carbine a real one not a reworked no4 and was wondering if anyone new the twist rate and how large of a boolit could I likely stabilize with it the wondering zero has been fixed years ago by my dad and the old ww2 vet that taught me to shoot when I was 9. Any help would be appreciated.
    Cast,

Since you have the rifle, why not use a tight patch and a marked cleaning rod and determine your barrel twist rate? HOW was the "wandering zero" fixed?

My JCs like the Lyman 311467 (175 grains) and the Lee C312-185-1R cast boolits.

Adam

Boolit Master

It should be the standard twist of 1 in 10.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

They removed the wood and free floated the barrel went from 16” group at 100y to 3” guns were built in a rush and not bedded properly so if the stalk touches the barrel it caused it to heat up unevenly. Wood was removed so a $20 bill would move freely up and down when wrapped around the barrel without touching the stalk

Is it a two-groove or five-groove?

I've shoot 230 gr smooth side paper patch boolits in my 14.6 inch carbine. I can't say they shot straight - didn't test them enough - but the holes in paper were round, indicating the boolits were not yawing. 260gr boolits showed some yaw and didn't group well. My most accurate boolit in another carbine (MOA with open sights) were 208 gr smooth sides.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

It’s a five grove slugs at .3125 I’ll take the 1in 10 as probably truest shoots good though. here is a 30m target left and 50m target right I shot today load was the lee tl tc 90311 drops at 314 at 1365fps Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	260725
    The shot just above the bull is a different rifle I helped a guy sight in.

Hi there Outlaw, I have this carbine as well, rifle loads are identical to any 303Brit data you can find is safe - because it exactly the same gun, but a bit shorter. which means you loose between 100 and 200 fps, depending on the load. For example, it would shoot 200fps slower using 303B MkVII military ammo. So with heavy cast slow loads the fps advantage diminishes. So that's all good for us. I have stabilise 200gr below subsonic, and have cast data for 215gr. So Its also something I've been tuned in to for a few months now. I'm reasonably confident it will do 220-230gr. But have yet to get those molds. I am also working on a fast target load, so I am in the same boat as you. Sorry I don't have any more experience to give at this stage. good luck, you have some nice shots there.

Boolit Master
    What is slower (below) than sub-sonic?
    Moving backwards???

I've bedded the buttstock on mine and this was a good upgrade. I use the Ideal 311413 sized to 0.314'' with gas checks loaded with shotgun powder to get 1200-1300fps.
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    I've bedded the buttstock on mine and this was a good upgrade. I use the Ideal 311413 sized to 0.314'' with gas checks loaded with shotgun powder to get 1200-1300fps.
    Red Dot, Unique or other?

Boolit Mold
    I put a new barrel on a #5 Lee Enfield for a customer because he said it could not hit a refrigerator at 100 yards . I looked down the bore and it looked brand new. I thought it must have a scope or scope mounting issue. So I tightened everything up and set a new scope on the rifle. He was right ! I pushed a tight patch though the barrel and it went from tight to loose 5 to 6 times before it reached the muzzle. I removed the flash hider and put in a precision ground bore gauge pin. It was loose for about 3/4 inch and then went tight. So I cut the barrel back to the tighter spot and retested. The rifle would now shoot about a 4 inch group at 100 yards. Further testing with an expandible ball type bore gauge revealed that the tight spot I had re-crowned at was only about an inch long and the bore was loose ahead of that spot.
    Four inches is alright in the thick woods but the customer wanted better so I put on a new #4 barrel that I had on hand and then the rifle shot quite well. About 1.25 inch with factory 180grain round nose ammunition.

I have achieved 1 MOA 10 shot groups with a No4 barrelled 1902 MLE, I think with Sierra bullets. The chamber is pretty tight since the barrel had to be set back some to index correctly. However, the normal accuracy of that rifle was 1 1/4 MOA ten shot groups, day in and day out with Hornady 150gr Spire Point and Speer 180gr RN. I have a No4 two-groove that places its bullets where the cross hair sits. Never done a ten shot group with it because I can't get more of those bullets - Highland (PRVI) 180gr BTSP. I have enough bullets for a lifetime of hunting and no more. These are too accurate to want to use up on targets. The interesting thing though is that these are .310 but being more of a spire point the ogive is further forward, giving them just the right jump in that particular barrel. It has less free bore than the set back barrel on the 1902 action.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-22-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''