Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scale maintenance is necessary

Boolit Master

I've used an old dry toothbrush to clean the knives and pivots. I also cleaned all the notches on the beam.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

My question is where can you buy a set of check weights in grains
    that won't break the bank? Damn... those things are pricey.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is break cleaner an adequate cleaner??
    Maybe mineral spirits chased with break cleaner??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I have 2 beam scales on my bench. An RCBS 502 and a Pacific M scale (made by Hornady) and an RCBS Partner Digital scale as well. I too use the Cans of Air to blow the dust off the Scales. I have a set of Check weights to zero the scales. I always Verify my powder drops comparing the digital to one of the beam scales to ensure my digital scale hasn't drifted.

Boolit Master
    i use bullets as check weights and primers even gas checks.funny what you do for fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman rcbs both make a decent set. If you want to use them to check settings on some charges you may want 2 sets. I have made them from copper and or aluminum wire. Make a 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 and 1.5 then a second 1.5. use finer wire here and bend a different shape to each. Use a heavier wire gauge and make 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0 again bend a individual shape. Now make 2 10.0 grn 2 20 grn 2 50 grn. 2 100 grn a 300 grn and a 500 grn. With this you can test a scales or setting. On the bigger wights you can coil them into a flat disc.

Cut a length of wire and weigh it add or subtract to length as needed and adjust with a small fine file. I like to use 2 newer scales one to weigh one as double check. When you get to the right weight bend a shape to it and make a chart showing the weight shape. Z V L O W D 2 3 4 5 6 all work. On the heavier its obvious by size' It takes some time but they are handy to have

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    My question is where can you buy a set of check weights in grains
    that won't break the bank? Damn... those things are pricey.
    Like I indicated in my post, I am too cheap to invest in check weights when they are simple to make. At one time I had three scales so it was easy to verify my home made check weights. (I am down two scales now and will still trust them to give me a "good" number if they both weigh to close to the same). Jacketed bullets and good quality air gun pellets are going to be close enough in my experience. It is immaterial if my 52.0 gr check weight is actually 52.1 or 51.9. If it weighs the same every time it has done its job.
    Don Verna

Magnetic dampened scales can attract ferrous metal particles/Splinters on the magnet that moves through the narrow slot, If these splinters touch the slot walls it will cause friction and affect accuracy and repeatability.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Master

Use what you want to check scale is consistent time to time but I recommend using a true calibrated weight for accuracy especially in pistol loads where a grain or part of will push pressure past the safe spot , when people advise throwing whatever powder away then suggest using less then the safest method to weigh gunpowder really I can start low with a powder without data and use common sense and years of loading and shooting but because I want to know what exact grain the load truly is I will continue to use calibrated weights to check it and check accuracy , close enough is not good enough this is not horseshoes but it is your decision and your firearm , to the original post yes maintenance is a must along with cleanliness .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12