RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Have Church Assemblies?

Boolit Master

Why Have Church Assemblies?

Since we've so easily abandoned our worship services, why do we have them at all?

I personally miss services, but this has really raised some serious issues in my mind. What's the point of meeting if it's so unimportant that we abandon it? Are Churches scared of being sued? Someone explain this to me!

Boolit Grand Master

My guess would be legal costs. Same for gun ranges that have been shut down in certain states. I understand not wanting the expense of litigation. But you have to stand for what you believe in regardless of costs.

Boolit Master

Thundarstick,
    Perhaps this is a time for God's people to consider a major reset for the way we "do church." We are a long way from the New Testament model. Would we lay down our lives for the bride of Christ? I believe we would do well to pray fervently, seek the LORD while He may be found and ponder the book of Acts anew. Respectfully, Hal
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master
    This morning, I listen to our church on TV through a Roku connection...I think it was Roku as my fiancé is the tech expert.

Even if my church was open for service I would not attend the way things are now. A person from our church brought the virus to our community from a missionary trip to Ethiopia. We have become the local "hot spot" in our area. I might think differently if we were younger and if I was not in the higher risk group.

But I believe people should have the choice to do what they wish, and the church should set out the guidelines it feels are warranted to safeguard their congregation. Our congregation is skewed to older folks (I suspect most are) and I expect when we start attending services in the church they may direct us to wear masks and have families sit apart from each other. Our pastor talked a bit about it this morning, and he indicated the traditional hand shake greeting will be suspended as well as hugs between members...once the shutdown is eased.

As to "abandoning the church", I do not see it that way. I would be more concerned about a church that ignored the reality of the situation and preaches God will protect them.

But people who wish to congregate, and take the risk, should be permitted to do so as long as they agree to quarantine themselves. Their "rights" cannot place others at risk.
    Don Verna

I can only answer what I know of the two churches I am a part of, the first in Eaglebrook, they made the decision to go online only since the Lord said, "Give to Ceaser what is Cesars and to the Lord what is the Lords." and as good stewards of life, they complied with Gov Walz order and went online. The church is the people, not the building.

91,000 individual devices were connected to services last weekend, about 200,000 people watched so it proves that it is indeed the people and not the building that makes 'the church'.

Why do we gather together normally? Community, fellowship, connection, support, help, the list goes on.

Boolit Master
    Interesting and confusing replies. Why, pray tell, do we spend exorbitant amounts of money on buildings, grounds, and salaries for preachers, secretaries, etc?
    Are Christians who go fishing, hunting, watch sports, or mow their yard, instead of assembling with other Christians justified in doing so? Send in your contribution, then do what ever you please, is that the way you see it?

Boolit Master

OK, here is why
    Romans 13:1-2 says: "Obey the government, for God is the One who has put it there. ... The only time we are to disobey a law is if it is morally wrong — not in our opinion — but in God's sight. Otherwise, we are to be good citizens and make the church and state work together for good.

So they do NOT say we can't worship, they say stay home and worship,
    The church is not the building but the people.

And when the sheltering order is over ...

Hebrews 10:25 Let us not neglect meeting ...

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

In the mean time call your church members, comfort them, exhort them, pray with them and Rejoice, God is in control.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I look at it as the "Church has been deployed "

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    OK, here is why
    Romans 13:1-2 says: "Obey the government, for God is the One who has put it there. ... The only time we are to disobey a law is if it is morally wrong — not in our opinion — but in God's sight. Otherwise, we are to be good citizens and make the church and state work together for good.

So they do NOT say we can't worship, they say stay home and worship,
    The church is not the building but the people.

And when the sheltering order is over ...

Hebrews 10:25 Let us not neglect meeting ...

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

In the mean time call your church members, comfort them, exhort them, pray with them and Rejoice, God is in control.

Mike
    Well said!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    i think that the big question is "where is your heart towards God. after all "man looks at the outward man but God looks at the heart"

Moderator Emeritus

Gathering ourselves together with folks of like mind, has a certain and powerful ability to make us feel safe, loved, and righteous. When we sing, our voices create little sympathetic chords that enhance our sound, and make things more enjoyable, and helps us take pride in our actions. It provides reassurance that we're right, and that we're part of something much larger than our selves. Gathering together is so important and powerful, Christ directed us to do it regularly. And He's never wrong. He knows and understands MUCH more than we do, and He knows us better than we know ourselves. And also, it's just the right thing to do when so many of us know Him, and feel a need to show that. There really is no downside to attending a worship service.

Boolit Master
    It doesn't matter how large of a gathering we have, Jesus said that when even 2 or 3 are gathered to gather in my name I will be in the midst of them.

I was able to visit two of my brother and sister in Christ yesterday and we lifted up the Lord Jesus Christ together, even though we were 6 ft apart.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Since we've so easily abandoned our worship services, why do we have them at all?

I personally miss services, but this has really raised some serious issues in my mind. What's the point of meeting if it's so unimportant that we abandon it? Are Churches scared of being sued? Someone explain this to me!
    can't you see? it's satan doing what he can to destroy God's church and his people.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a danl View Post
    can't you see? it's satan doing what he can to destroy God's church and his people.
    This I believe is the reason! One of our members who's a teacher at a Christian college stated, he knows when each Christian will die, and it's when God is finished with our work here! He stated he doesn't know the means, but when God's finished our life will end here by some means. Since some of us have started meeting together in the last two months several have contracted C-19, none have perished of it, and all have made a full recovery. Today a 60 year old member, who had only been joining the "on line" worship, was called home, his work finished, due to a sudden pulmonary embolism.
    I'm still stunned our leadership was so quick to abandon our assembly and show so little faith!

Boolit Master
    My church is still having services.

Mat 16:18

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    .... I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
    Today our loving so called liberals and progressives represent the forces of hell still seeking with all their might to destroy the body of believers the Bible calls the church. The Romans tried but couldn't do it. Stalin, Mao, Pall Pot and Hitler, et al, have also tried but couldn't do it. Now the Democrats, in all their guises, are trying ... but they won't do it either!

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Today our loving so called liberals and progressives represent the forces of hell still seeking with all their might to destroy the body of believers the Bible calls the church. The Romans tried but couldn't do it. Stalin, Mao, Pall Pot and Hitler, et al, have also tried but couldn't do it. Now the Democrats, in all their guises, are trying ... but they won't do it either!

Come quickly Lord Jesus!
    The Chinese seem to be doing it successfully. Christian Churches in China can only teach what the Party approves.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    The Chinese seem to be doing it successfully. Christian Churches in China can only teach what the Party approves.

Tim
    The word "seem" is only what the world sees not what the underground Church is doing and being empowered to do.

Boolit Master
    A family in our congregation has a son married to a dedicated Christian Chinese daughter-in-law in Charlotte, NC; she has much family still in that hellish communist "workers paradise". She reports that the CCP has been significantly less effective in squashing the church than we are led to believe. (For that 30% of the public who are still dumm enough to believe anything the fake-news/anti-American/anti-Christianity dominate media snots say.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    The word "seem" is only what the world sees not what the underground Church is doing and being empowered to do.
    Do you see or know things the world does not? Do you have connections to that underground Church and know what they are doing? It seems the Churches are mostly obeying the Chinese government but I don't have contacts in China and rely on what is public. That public info does acknowledge the existence of underground Churches but mostly it is reported when one of them is busted and some Christian is jailed.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast