WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 1894 45LC

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKOUT View Post
    I was thinking of buying a Marlin 1894 in 45LC. I already have brass dies and bullets. What you thoughts on using for a short range deer hunting?
    What are they going for now? I had an 1894/5C in .45/70 and one in .45LC that I sold half a dozen years back. They were new in the box from a decade or so before that that I bought off a buddy when his dad passed.

Boolit Master
    I watched a Hickok 45 video just yesterday. Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. Using ammo that he reloaded, nothing special about it. Target was a steel drum at 230 yards. The slugs were not only penetrating the drum, but were going straight through and coming out on the other side. Should be an excellent deer rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Consider buying the Cowboy model if barrel bands and hideous ramped/hooded front sights aren't to your liking. But that said, the sights on the Cowboys are lacking as well. They are easier to replace.

Modern Marlins are very scopable, D&T’ed and with the side ejection if you don’t want the irons. I like my Cowboy Limited sights but don’t care for my wife’s carbine sights. I use my .45 Marlins as cas rifles, no scopes required.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah yes, the near universal 3/8" dovetail. I am so glad that most of the gun manufacturers standardized the size of the dovetail for sights.

When I bought my Winchester 94 16" .357, I did not like the sights on it at all. I replaced them with the sights taken from a Marlin 30AW that I had put an Ashley lined front sight and a Williams 5D on. It worked out well, for plinking with .38s or .357s I just moved the rear sight one notch for zero.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12