Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894 45LC

Boolit Mold

Marlin 1894 45LC

I was thinking of buying a Marlin 1894 in 45LC. I already have brass dies and bullets. What you thoughts on using for a short range deer hunting?

It'll work.

It'll be sort of like a short range/tamed down .45-70 load.
    The non vented, longer rifle barrel will get the speeds up enough to make a cast boolit's eyes water.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Have a look at Paco's page on the 45 colt (I think it is Paco). In a strong rifle it is a surprising round particularly with 250 to 300 grainers.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    I have a new Marlin Cowboy, circa 2018, with a 20" octagon barrel. It is very accurate with the Lee 200 gr RFN and 255 gr RFN bullets.

Neither bullet is sized, they are loaded as cast. Both are loaded over 8.5 gr of Unique. If I had to choose I would say that the 200 gr bullet is a little more accurate.

I have some other loads worked up for testing but the lockdown has put a hold on everything. I was just getting started with the load work up on this rifle. The two loads mentioned are what I had on hand already for use in my Blackhawk. These are the only loads I have tested so far.

I have not chronoed these loads but based on how the hit the steel swingers at 50 and 75 yards they would work on deer no problem.

By the way, the new Marlin is very nice and very smooth.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

Works pretty good for deer in my experience.Attachment 260674 280 Grain NOE WFN.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for all the replies. I should picking up my new rifle this week! Jeff how far were these shot at?

Boolit Master
    I have a new Marlin '94 in .45 Colt that I haven't taken to the range yet. I put a Leupold copy of the Lyman 2.5 X Alaskan on it and I'm expecting good things from it with either the Lee 255 or 300 grain RNFP. I have a Rossi 24" barreled '92 copy in .45 Colt that does well with both of those with about a 90% of max load of 296/H110. Both loads also do well in my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk. The 300 grainer does make me notice the crescent steel buttplate, however. GF

Boolit Buddy
    I haven’t killed a deer with mine but it’s accounted for a couple of 175 lb feral hogs with no difficulty.

Boolit Master

Both were right at 75 yards, the larger of the two traveled about 10 yards the other, in it's tracks. As suggested, the Paco article contains a lot of good information aimed specifically at the 94 Marlin and 92 clones. My 280 grain/2400 deer load was pulled from that write up. For normal shooting, I'll tone it done to recommended book (Lyman) Unique and Bullseye loads on top of a 255 grain FP. Truth be told, you would be in good shape with a recommended max book load out to 100 yards. I would select the heaviest bullet that shoots accurately. Most of the Marlins I've messed with, likes real fat bullets.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Both were right at 75 yards, the larger of the two traveled about 10 yards the other, in it's tracks. As suggested, the Paco article contains a lot of good information aimed specifically at the 94 Marlin and 92 clones. My 280 grain/2400 deer load was pulled from that write up. For normal shooting, I'll tone it done to recommended book (Lyman) Unique and Bullseye loads on top of a 255 grain FP. Truth be told, you would be in good shape with a recommended max book load out to 100 yards. I would select the heaviest bullet that shoots accurately. Most of the Marlins I've messed with, likes real fat bullets.
    Thank you Jeff.

If You "Chamfer the Chamber Mouth" like shown in the sticky at the top of the Leverguns Forum you will be able to run SWC's and they will feed flawlessly. That will give you many more Boolit Options .

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot Lee 452255RF, Unique and homemade loob. From the bench I can shoot clays at 110 yards all day long. I've taken 8 deer, (7 axis, 1 WT) and a turkey (85 yards)with this load from my Marlin. Boolits are ww+2%sn as cast at .453. Sights are Marlin rear folding and Skinner up front, as are all my O/S Marlins. My favorite Marlin!!

Boolit Master
    Are .45 Colt lever rifles more accurate than .44 Magnum lever rifles? Of course the question refers to Marlin vs Marlin and Henry vs Henry. I ask because reading here has given the impression that the .45 Colt in these rifles has an accuracy edge.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    If You "Chamfer the Chamber Mouth" like shown in the sticky at the top of the Leverguns Forum you will be able to run SWC's and they will feed flawlessly. That will give you many more Boolit Options .

Randy
    Note there is a certain time period where they started doing the chamfer at the time of manufacturing. Mine is from 2015/16 and it is already chamfered.

The .44 isn’t necessarily more accurate than a .45. The .44 mag is loaded to higher velocities for modern guns which makes it a bit flatter shooting and harder hitting while the old black powder .45LC is loaded down for the older guns. But if you are loading your own to use in your modern 1894 you can use jacketed bullets and load up to 44 mag velocities. The only caveat here and it’s a big one, is if you also have older guns that could blow if one of your hot loads accidentally got fired in it. I load .45lc cas loads which safely work in my rifles and revolvers both antique and new. I’ve seen a 3rd generation Colt SA blow its cylinder. Be safe.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know about any accuracy difference, but my 1894CB 24" barrel is plenty accurate for what I used it for. Mine also fed Lyman 452424's like they were designed for it.

Although I hate to do it, I will need to put a scope on mine if I ever get serious with it again. My eyes have really started to go bad, I can hardly even see iron sights anymore.

Robert

Robert, try a red dot on your rifle. I have a couple of the Burris Fastfire2s and the Vortex Strikefire 2 but the Romeo5 that my bud uses has a lot of great features. I use them on my AR .45 rifles and pistols. Easier and faster to use than irons.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just may do that, I have one of the Fastfire2s that is currently on a TCR83 in .243 that I haven't shot yet. I just don't like the idea of having to buy batteries to be able to shoot, a scope needs nothing after sighting in.

Robert

Look at getting the Romeo 5 then. If you leave it alone it shuts itself down but when you pick it up it turns on. It’s smarter than your average bear. Batteries should last a looong time, only time its on is when you handle your gun, just don’t forget to turn your ‘stupid’ red dot off when you’re done shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast