Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Blackpowder Source(s)

Boolit Bub

True Blackpowder Source(s)

Good evening. I spent the afternoon blasting through 2 flasks of Goex 2F in one of my TC classic sidekicks. I am down to my last pound of powder and need to replenish the supply. I have never had good success with Pyrodex (too many ignition issues!).

I looked online at Midway and Grafs, both were out of stock. I looked at TOTW and if they have any they require a 25 lb order, yikes! I used to buy at Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse (its been a few years!), but they no longer carry true BP.

Does anyone have a good source in the $20-25 / lb range that ships etc? I need 4-6 lbs of 2F / 3F.

Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-18-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I bought my last at Powder Valley, but it was before this Chi-Com virus malarkey.

Boolit Bub
    I forgot about them. They are a great source but powder is a bit steep at $32 / lb shipped. Grafs works out to $27 / lb. Any suggestions? Know any good discount codes?

I cannot imagine there will be a great run on BP, less shooters shooting traditional sidelocks every year. Hunters only want pelletized Pyrodex inline 150 gr cannons with sabots and scopes it seems like.

Boolit Bub
    What is the big difference between classic Goex and Goex Olde Eynsford?

Boolit Master

you can always make your own, there is a sticky on it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Bub
    Many things I will do, casting, reloading, etc. Making blackpowder sounds like yet another hobby, probably very satisfying but not for me.

Boolit Bub
    Disregard price question, I did not realize it included all Hazmat etc. Works out within a few dollars of Powder Valley Inc. Great source to bookmark, thank you!

Jon Blackert, Crater Fireworks, https://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/product/

WANO for $9.50 a pound, Jon ships.

Boolit Master
    I am making my own for about $3.00 a pound when I buy in bulk.
    It works great and isn't that hard to make , or require a big investment.
    And No Haz Mat fees

Boolit Grand Master

Bass pro shops

Banned

Crater Fireworks. I drive there and pick it up. They are about 40-50 miles from me. No one near me ever has RWS primers but he does. I like the Musket caps for my black powder rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barr View Post
    What is the big difference between classic Goex and Goex Olde Eynsford?
    O.E. is better velocity/less fouling and Powder Inc is a good place to buy /Ed

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like Schuetzen and Old Eynsford would be a great choice for the next order. Has anyone used Schuetzen BP?

Just a couple cans, better than WANO but sub-par to Swiss. Canon grade, not in a cart.

Boolit Bub
    Have you had better success w Old Eynsford than Schuetzen?

Old Eynsford is new to me, I have never used it or even heard of it before, sorry. I have used a lot of both Schuetzen and Swiss, I cannot tell the difference in cartridges, there are those that swear by Swiss but I see boolit placement to be identical using either powder in my 45-70. YMMV

Banned

Get together with a bunch of your shooting friends and place a 25 pound order. You'll just be ordering more in a year if you don't buy in bulk. The price won't be going down. Sounds like a good use for the $1200 helicopter money!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barr View Post
    Sounds like Schuetzen and Old Eynsford would be a great choice for the next order. Has anyone used Schuetzen BP?
    I'm on my 4th case. Buying by the case is the only way to go. I buy from Upper Missouri Trading Co, Grafs, and Buffalo Arms.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

For muzzleloaders, i prefer the standard red can Goex. I tried Old Eynsford in both FFg and FFFg. It seems to me that OE burns drier. And the smell... it is not what I expect from a black powder. Both work just fine, but I only buy the red can now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast