Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pachmayr Grips Getting Harder

Boolit Master

Pachmayr Grips Getting Harder

Having had Pachmayr grips on my T/C Contenders that kick a bunch, I have noticed that the forends are getting harder and more brittle. Has anyone else who has had these grips in use for 30+ years noticed that they are hardening?

Boolit Master

Hogue, Pachmayr or any other synthetic rubber grip will get hard over time. Recoil pad or grips, same thing. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    I have Pac's and Uncle Mikes, that are about that old. If they got harder it was gradual, so not very noticeable. Some of the Pacs, however have discolored/mottled.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    The hardening of recoil pads and such is common, AND sneaks up on you (10-15-20 years). I finally noticed a couple pads were hardening, replaced them with the new very soft pads (Limbsaver, Kick-Eez, Hi-Viz) and was very pleased with the comfort, the rifles - 300 Savage, 308, 358, 444,and 45-70 were much more comfortable, enjoyable to shoot.

Pachmayr grips have never really been "rubbery" to me and have more of a stiff, plasticky feel compared to say, Hogues which have more of pencil eraser feel. Not to say they don't have rubber like qualities but I've never found them as squishy/grippy/comfortable as Hogues.

The set of Pachmayrs on my 686 are nearly 30 years old, and to me, don't feel significantly different from the ones on my Charter Arms Bulldog that are only a couple years old. Your mileage may vary depending on the conditions its been stored in. I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless they are deteriorating to the point of complete failure or just plain uncomfortable to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clemje View Post
    Pachmayr grips have never really been "rubbery" to me and have more of a stiff, plasticky feel compared to say, Hogues which have more of pencil eraser feel. Not to say they don't have rubber like qualities but I've never found them as squishy/grippy/comfortable as Hogues.

The set of Pachmayrs on my 686 are nearly 30 years old, and to me, don't feel significantly different from the ones on my Charter Arms Bulldog that are only a couple years old. Your mileage may vary depending on the conditions its been stored in. I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless they are deteriorating to the point of complete failure or just plain uncomfortable to shoot.
    Yea. They never were spongy but they did have flex to the extension. You could squeeze them together. I am afraid to squeeze the flange now for fear it will crack. I have noticed this mostly on the forend grip. The handgrip still feels pliable. When you tap the foregrip it sounds like metal instead of the thud it use to make.

I'm not sweating it, I was just curious if others have noticed the hardening. I doubt they will fly off.

I can always use it to open walnuts now.