Thread: Which Crony?

Moderator Emeritus
    A boolit proof one!

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

A random piece of data...

Just for giggles, the last time we were at the range together slughammer and I lined my F1 Master up behind his PACT. The F1 showed every shot as 10 to 15 fps faster than the PACT. Which one was right? Were either of them right? Beats the hell out of me...

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A random piece of data...

Just for giggles, the last time we were at the range together slughammer and I lined my F1 Master up behind his PACT. The F1 showed every shot as 10 to 15 fps faster than the PACT. Which one was right? Were either of them right? Beats the hell out of me...
    As the saying goes, "A man with two watches doesn't know what time it is" : )

BorderBrewer
    "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." - Sam Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    I've seen several posts on this thread claiming that "X" or "Y" chronograph is "better" than a Chrony. I'm not doubting your word, but I'd be interested in reading the details of what you claim is "far" better than the Chrony.

Regards,

Stew
    I said the CED I currently own and the PACT I formerly owned were infinitely better. I made this statement because I've had nothing but trouble with my Chrony (Mine's a Beta Master). My Chrony finally got to the point that I had to shoot dangerously close (vertically) to the skyscreens to have any hope of a reading. Also, it completely stopped detecting smaller caliber bullets such as .22. That's what lead to the purchase of the CED, which so far has shown stellar performance.
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Sounds like you might have been able to send the Chrony back to the mfr. for replacement of the skyscreen sensors and been back in business. Slow degradation of the triggering function sounds to me like the sensors went bad. Sorry you had the experience. That's pretty much what happened to my Competition Electronics model, but they had quit making it by the time mine went bad, so repair wasn't as good an option as replacement.

What I posted earlier is the only trouble I've had with my Chrony. While it sounds like quite a list, the only real trouble I've had with the chrono itself is that the sunshades developed plastic fatigue from being used so many times. They just wore out, and the jack coming losose from the circuit board in the printer was poor workmanship. I fixed that in about 10 minutes. The display problem was due to human error on the part of one of our range officers, so I can't in any way blame Chrony for it. The software issue was pretty much unforgivable. Until I see someone who has bought a recent copy and shown me that it works, I wouldn't recommend it to Obama.

So, over the 5-10 years I've owned it (can't remember when I bought it), I've had one issue of normal wear causing a part failure and one issue of bad solder joints (poor workmanship). I'd say that's decent service. Not perfect, but I'd say it's not bad for almost any piece of electronic gear.

(P.S. --- Carefully proofread the last line of your signature file (HunRer?)).

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I just bought a Pact, but havent tried it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    I just bought a Pact, but havent tried it out yet.
    Go try it and let me know what you think. They are made about 45 minutes from here and I like that. Which one do you have?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It is the Pact Pro. I downloaded the software from their website and loaded it up. It works great and downloads the shot groups from the unit fine. I bought mine used, so it had some strings in memory. It will even import the strings into a spreadsheet. Very cool, nice way of record Keeping.
    I am having knee surgery this week and wont get to shoot through it for a week or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    I am having knee surgery this week and wont get to shoot through it for a week or 2.
    Been there, done that ..... twice. I had both knees replaced. I'll pray for you,
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12