WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Crony?

Which Crony?

I'm thinking about getting a Chrony for Christmas. Any recommendations?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Man
    Well, if you are cheap (like me) and do stupid things (like me) you will buy the cheapest one you can get. I have two F-1s and have managed to shoot them both (one with a 22Mag. the other with a 45 Colt) and they still work.

The better ones are probably just as tough though they are harder on the wallet when you kill them though they do offer a "I want to trade my dead one for a good one" service in the event you are like me!

Paul

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I got a Chrony Master Alfa. It is a cracker. Remembers a string of upt to 10 shots and will give the Avg., the standard deviation and the extream deviation, along with highest and lowest velocities. Has the LCD readout on a little box that you keep on the bench with you (the cord is a little on the short side, about ten feet). The advantage of that is when you are testing black powder loads that have a grease cookie, you don't have to stop the shooting mid string to go and clear a great big blob of the LCD screan. I know that it ain't as good as some others on the market, but it does anything that I could need to do, and it does it well.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

I borrow one from a friend once in a while - it is proof that alcohol and bullets are not a good combination. It still works, but it is WELL ventilated.
    (It's an OLD F-1).
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Master

I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master. I love it. I would highly recommend it . Easy to use and reasonably priced.---dale

Boolit Master
    I bought the cheepest one they sell about 10+ years ago, it works great and has given -0- trouble. ...buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Along these lines, I have to tell you that I've killed more chronographs in the past five years than I have deer. Anyone have pics of their handydandy chrono protector, so I can steal the design?
    Bob K

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master. I love it. I would highly recommend it . Easy to use and reasonably priced.---dale
    Me too. If you do opt for the Beta model Chrony, spring for the Master model (with the separate monitor) it's worth the extra $25 or so. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    I got a Chrony Master Alfa. It is a cracker. Remembers a string of upt to 10 shots and will give the Avg., the standard deviation and the extream deviation, along with highest and lowest velocities.
    The most basic F-1 will provide all of those numbers, too.
    It just needs a switch to be plugged in to the side.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

I bought the pro-chrono about 15 years ago. It has always performed, and i see they still make them. Highly recommend them! Aint no more expensive today, then they was 15 years ago!

How much do you want to spend? If I were going to get a Chronograph right now, I'd get the CED Millennium 2. It comes with the monitor and 20 feet of cable, has a large 1 3/4" display, and recalls the last 1,000 shots. It also does the standard deviation, high/low/average velocity, and can omit flyers.

When you're done shooting, take it home and plug it into your USB on your computer and download and catalog all your info. If you're shooting indoors alot or in poor lighting conditions, you can buy the infared kit for it and be able to shoot in the dark if you wish.

I would say this is the best chronograph setup next to the Oehler Ballistics Laboratory.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm

+1 on the CED Millennium 2. Wonderful display, accurate AND has infra-red skyscreens available, which means you can use it in low light or even in the dark. I have a Chrony Beta Master and it's a *********..after a couple of years it became very unreliable and frustrating to use. But, I know all first time buyer buy Chrony's.
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Banned

Buy a Pact. If you shoot the eye, it costs almost nothing to fix.
    The box is on the bench with you.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Along these lines, I have to tell you that I've killed more chronographs in the past five years than I have deer. Anyone have pics of their handydandy chrono protector, so I can steal the design?

Bob,

Shoot over sand bags, not by holding the firearm merely with your hands/arms. When you get the gun set up on the bags, look along the barrel, both from the top and sides, to be sure the barrel is pointed through the opening above the screens, below the sunshades and between the sunshade supports. I don't use any type of "shield", just careful alignment between the gun and the Chrony. I've had it for over 5 years and there's not a mark on it.

Now for the Chrony evaluation...

In the 90s I had a unit made by Competition Electronics that worked well for a long time, then began to go downhill. I guess several shotgun pellets and skimming a few rounds across the top of the skyscreen enclosures didn't help any.

I sent it to Chrony on their trade-in program, tossed in a few more $$ and got their top-of-the-line Gamma Master that comes with a printer. I also bought the leather storage case, a computer interface cable and their ballistics software.

I've had the Chrony for over 5 years, probably closer to 10, and I've had two problems with it, and one with the printer. The first was due to one of our range officers not paying attention to where he was going during a line break and walking into the cable that connects the LCD readout/control box to the sky screens, thus pulling the control head off the shooting bench onto the concrete and damaging the LCD. I sent it back for repair and it works like new. The second issue was that the sunshades wore out and had to be replaced. The problem with the printer was that the solder joints holding the socket that takes input from the Chrony were poorly made. After I soldered the socket back onto the circuit board I haven't had any problems with it.

The Ballistics software I bought with the Chrony would not work on my computer. I called them and they said, "Oh, yeah. We know about that". So I asked them why they were selling a known defective product. They couldn't give me a good answer, so I sent it back for a refund. That was a long time ago, so they've probably fixed the software problem by now.

One more thing about Chrony... If you look up prices on their web site for replacement items, such as the sunshades for the sky screens, you'll find a price for the item. What you won't find, unless you download their order form, is their shipping charge. In my opinion, there is nothing obvious about finding either the order form or the shipping charge. I ordered two sets of sunshades from them, but only received one. I called them and they told me that they had used the $$ I sent for the second set to pay for the shipping. I had written them a letter and used the part numbers on their replacement parts page, rather than using the order form. There is nothing on the replacement parts page telling you about either the order form or the shipping charge.

Now that I've beaten them severely about the head and shoulders, I'll mention that I'm satisfied with my Chrony. It performs as advertised and has generally held up very well.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 11-23-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Banned

i just bought a new pact. Seems like a nice unit. I havent used it enough to really make a judgement on it though. Its got to be better then a chrony though!

Oh yeah, I had a Pact also, but it was stolen. Pact was an excellent Chronograph, every bit a good as my CD Millenium, and both infinitely better than the Chrony I have.
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up Crony

I bought the El Cheepo back when it was $68 or $72... I just use it to do a final velocity check so it gets used about once or twice every 3 years when we get back up there... but it is nice to know the REAL velocity rather than the "Guestimates" you read all over the place.
    But it works and I think is right... never checked it against another as the readings seem in the ballpark of what manuals and load info says.
    Last edited by missionary5155; 11-24-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling was interesting

Boolit Grand Master

I use the F1 Master. The remote readout is a must at my usual range where there can be long periods between cease fires.

Calculations in the machine are nice, but I just jot the numbers down and plug them into this Excel spread sheet when I get home:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/crnycalc.xls

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I've seen several posts on this thread claiming that "X" or "Y" chronograph is "better" than a Chrony. I'm not doubting your word, but I'd be interested in reading the details of what you claim is "far" better than the Chrony.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    If you want to get the chrony on the cheep they have a reconditioned model 105 alpha for about $64.00. Check it out at the bottom of the products menu. Add $9.00 shipping and its at your door.

regards

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...