RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Trying to read damaged Hakim stock markings

Trying to read damaged Hakim stock markings

My Hakim has some numbers on the right side of its' stock, most of which are very legible, but the first 1-2 characters of the sequence are only partially intact. It looks like it could be 04, but it could also be some Arabic character; I'm simply not cultured enough to know, it would seem. Perhaps those of you who have seen more Hakims than I, can be of assistance.Attachment 260596

I can’t help with the numbers on the stock- do they somewhat match the characters on the receiver?
    Hakims are cool; I’ve owned two and neither had stock markings like yours.

No, they don't seem to correspond, either with the importer, or Egyptian markings. The Arabic characters on the metal (all of which matches, by the way), are very distinctive, so I am very certain on this point.

Boolit Master
    Humpty,

As a serious military arms collector, I do not see a need to decode the painted on stock markings. I have many such locally painted on "Rack Numbers" that were placed for the convenience of the company or battalion arms custodians.

I have several Hakims and one does have a similar number marking. I have such numbers on many SMLEs, Model 1917s and a Mark I Springfield. One M1917 has a small brass rack number tag affixed under the top butt plate screw. I hope this helps.

Adam

Boolit Master

I bought one for a couple hundred dollars seems like forever ago , shoot that beast without earplugs and you wont forget it , still have it but the bayonet got stolen by a thieving step son , I never worry about what markings are painted on stocks as those I remove .

Boolit Master
    FLINTFIRE,

I never sand out the "Rack Numbers" on any military rifle stock. I have many and know they were placed there for active duty arms.

Adam

Boolit Master

I shoot them as is , I have military collectibles but to me they are shooters first , as I do not collect , I did not sand it off as use and cleaning removed all the strange symbols , and the dried tissue matter on a m1 carbine and as numbers on stocks go its more for strategic reserve weapons or for those going into storage for future disposition , nothing special about painting or writing on a stock , a cartouche stamped in a stock is a different matter and you would have to sand that out , for those who enjoy collecting do what you wish same as myself and shooting , so enjoy it however you wish and if part of the enjoyment is trying to trace history and markings enjoy the pursuit .

Boolit Buddy
    With the way that the 4, 1, and 7 are written, they aren't eastern style Arabic, says to me they are post Egyptian Army service. Perhaps used when they were being purchased/exported but not how the Egyptians would "rack" mark them when they were in service in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blpenn66502 View Post
    With the way that the 4, 1, and 7 are written, they aren't eastern style Arabic, says to me they are post Egyptian Army service. Perhaps used when they were being purchased/exported but not how the Egyptians would "rack" mark them when they were in service in my opinion.
    That's the sort of thing I am trying to figure out here. If the Egyptians didn't mark these stocks in this manner, and the defaced portion isn't some Arabic symbol, then it seems most likely to be a zero and a four. Perhaps not very significant, but of the limited number of Hakims, I have seen, this seemed a little different, and I am debating whether to restore the damaged characters, or not. The wood is in need of refinishing, if it is to continue being a shooter.

Boolit Buddy
    The worn portion doesn't look like anything close to a set of arabic letters. The markings are part of the history of the rifle but the lack of any apparent arabic number or letters says post active service to me.
    You may or may not be aware that the manufacturing year is the 4 digit number above the serial number.
    WRT being a shooter, Hakims are typically hard on brass so surplus ammo is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by blpenn66502 View Post
    The worn portion doesn't look like anything close to a set of arabic letters. The markings are part of the history of the rifle but the lack of any apparent arabic number or letters says post active service to me.
    You may or may not be aware that the manufacturing year is the 4 digit number above the serial number.
    WRT being a shooter, Hakims are typically hard on brass so surplus ammo is your friend.
    That's good enough for me then. Regarding the brass, I have noticed that the rims all show some degree of damage, though not to the extent that I would be afraid to reload then once or twice (I do have the gas valve properly adjusted). As it stands, I have a decent stockpile of commercial ammunition, which I picked up for less than I can currently buy surplus for. I can even get more, for about 30 cents a piece, though it is steel cased. Since I don' shoot very much 8mm, it will be a while before I will really need to give the matter further consideration.

A piece of slit rubber tubing taped on the shell deflector helps with the brass damage. It is funny to hand one to someone new and watch them try to figure out how to work it.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The way that bolt closes I would hate to let a person "figure out" how to operate it.
    I learned by the fumble method and by sheer luck had no body parts in the way when the bolt suddenly closed with authority!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-25-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I've been careful enough to have never had "M1 thumb", but I do have unforgettable, painful memories of "Hakim hand" long ago.

I sold mine probably 20 years ago (for way too cheap) because I also had an FN49, and the FN is much easier on brass for reloading.

It's funny now that I think about it: back then, in the mid '90s, I had a few hundred "7.92 MM" surplus rounds that I was saving because the brass is boxer and reloadable. I intended to shoot it in the FN49 and reload it, but I can't have my cake and eat it too, so I miserly kept it. I still have it, sitting here in the same ammo can. It was loose, Paragon ammo, nothing fancy. I shot a few rounds a couple years ago and it was still sure-fire. What the heck am I saving it for?! I really need to take it out and shoot it up...