RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sifting for range lead question

Banned
    my new sifter screen -w- 1/4 mesh wire going to put an eye bolt in each corner and build a 2x4 tripod tp hand it from. easier to sift if you're not carrying the weight of the screen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xxrainmanx View Post
    I've recently decided to try my hand at sifting for range scrap to cast plinking rounds and I'm running into issues separating the scrap from dirt.

I have a homemade sifter (basic 2x4 frame with wire mesh bottom). The issue is the dirt is clod filled and isn't loose enough for sifting. I'm trying to avoid picking scrap one by one. Any ideas for a simple system that can break down the clumps?

I haven't tested the dirt to see if it's has a heavy clay content. It could also be moist from the winter months and not dried out enough yet.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Thanks
    You should be able to make some type of device like an old iron to smash those clods. A piece of steel, concrete or even wood.

Boolit Master
    I used to just go to the range after a rain storm. the nuggets are all over the place and the run off ditches on the berm reveal many many bullets.
    Anotherthing that worked well was a modified clam rake. line it with that 1/4' screen and just scoop up the first few inches

Boolit Master
    Conditor, is that going to be a rocker screen? I have an archeologist friend who suggested I buy a professionally made one like she uses on her digs. For only $135 you get a 2x4 frame with 1/4" hardware cloth, two hinged legs on one end and handles to shake with on the other. ;^]

[QUOTE=...... Their are still plenty of shops that give away lead.[/QUOTE]

Not in Eastern Maryland or Southern Delaware. There ARE plenty of tire shops that think their buckets of mixed wheel weights and garbage are filled with gold. $60 is a common asking price for a partial bucket of lead, zinc, steel, tire stems, coffee cups......

Boolit Mold
    Lightman, I was hoping for something a bit less manual than smashing with heavy object. If I had to I would, but I would have to justify it based on quality gained. In my opinion if I can't gather 50lbs an hr sifting I'm better off going to a scrap yard and paying $1lb for lead.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can stand it, wait for it to dry out and get material directly from the impact area. When I have clods, i use my heavy duty shovel and whack the top until it is a better consistency, strip off the first couple inches and do it again. We (buddy and I) can routinely get 600 lbs in 30 minutes- an hour or so. If there's a plate rack, that is the best. Got 2-300 lbs of really clean stuff off the top with very little sifting to do in about 15-20 minutes all by myself...

It's tough if the ground doesn't play well. If it is heavy clay, not fun. That doesn't wash as well either. Sometimes best to just throw it all in and skim a bunch. I hear of guys plucking individual bullets off the ground but I don't have time for that... brass, yes, but lead, no.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200429_205757.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	261948plate rack lead just for shoveling....
    Last edited by bld451; 05-11-2020 at 12:25 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Buddy
    If I have hard clods I put a couple shovels full into a doubled feed sack and run over it with my truck. Works really well on clay. Takes a little time, but I have that.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Bub
    I may have to start to pick up more range lead. I quit for awhile but hospital lead is getting harder to find in my area.

Boolit Master
    My hospitals claim they don’t use any lead. Stupid libs.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Clods are softer when wet. For a dollar a pound? At a scrap yard. Much less work. That would pay me. $17 bucks fo 500, 240 grain.

Boolit Master
    Stiff rake,shovel and a sifter made from 2x4's and 1/4 hardware cloth.And plenty of 5 gallon buckets. Only fill 3/4 to 1/2 way full. Them buckets get heavy real fast, guys at my gun club used to laugh at me. Mostly all hard cast store bought bullets. Dump them in a mortar tub and hit them with the pressure washer. Dump them on a black heavy contractor garbage bag in the sun. They usually dry out in a couple hours. Separate all the 45 acp 230 grain hard cast bullets to be melted later. Still have a few buckets in the garage. Frank

Banned

Dirt falls out the bottom. Bullets go out the end. Easy 1500 lbs a night.

Attachment 263049

Quote Originally Posted by Xxrainmanx View Post
    The berm is my best option. Car care centers are few and far between out here and WW cost more in gas than I would save. I've heard dentist offices have lead from the x-ray teeth inserts, but haven't gotten a chance to see yet due to the pandemic.
    Even the dentist stuff is going away as more use digital machines. My dentist gave me a 40# box of lead foils when he switched over.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    I agree with pee wee. Seems like work that doesnt need to be done. The dirt and copper float to the top when it melts. I just scoop that out and flux well.

I will say if you have wet bullets or not completely dry dirt just empty the pot of all lead before you put more bullets in. If the bullets/soil are damp they will dry out before the lead melts. But if there is molten lead in the pot... it can get interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12