WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lever gun in 45/70

New lever gun in 45/70

Trying to decide on a new lever gun in 45/70. I really like the Taylors and Co 1886 Sporting rifle but also like the new Henry Side loader. The Taylor has the looks but the Henry is made in the USA and not too nice to take to the woods if I want. I mostly just plan on shooting cast and working up loads with it anyone have any experience with either of these two rifles

The Remlins are good.

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 1895 certainly provides hunting accuracy and flawless functioning. Like any mass produced rifle, accuracy varies. A friend's consistently puts three LeveRevolution rounds into a clover leaf group at 100 yards. The easy one-screw removal of the bolt makes cleaning the barrel from the breech easy and I consider that an important advantage.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know how easy the takedown is for the Henry but the Marlin 336 design (now Remington or Remlin) makes it easy to take down and easy to scope. To me those are significant advantages.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have Winchester 71 (like the 1886) and many Marlins, including 2 1895's. The Winchester 71/86 is large and heavy compared to the Marlin 1895. The Henry is similare to the Marlin but much heavier. For a range, sit in a stand rifle, any would do. To walk the timber, climb the hills, the Marlin is much better to carry. I have an early Marlin 1895 that had the curved buttplate and a recent Marlin 1895 Cowboy. The recent Marlin is well made and as accurate as my early Marlin. I prefer a scope for hunting, a small 2.5x or 1.5-5x, the Winchester 86/71 does not handle this. The Henry and Marlin do. The Marlin is easy to take apart and the trigger is easy to stone/adjust.

I have the old JM 1895 with 22” barrel, 1/2 mag. Had for 40+ yrs and had several other 45/70s none shot as well, the only reason it’s still in rack. This model is not popular with the younger crowd who are buying the 1895 Guide series with loop levers and other bling. You can find them in high condition for less than a new Henry. I don’t do imports so got nothing to say on Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    This model is not popular with the younger crowd who are buying the 1895 Guide series with loop levers and other bling.
    Thanks. As a member of the "younger crowd" (age 70), I enjoy my Guide Gun.

I am really wanting a Henry color case hardened .45-70.

Thanks guys. Your absolutely correct Targa if Henry made a CCH with the side port it wouldn't even have been a question. I do like the Marlin CBA. Guess I'll keep looking for awhile

Boolit Bub
    Have a 1895 GBL,1 year old. Shoots tiny little groups with my cast boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanj View Post
    I do like the Marlin CBA. Guess I'll keep looking for awhile
    I've got the CBA, and mine is great. Added a Skinner peep and saddle ring safety delete.
    I'm lusting after the 26", though....which was my original target when I stumbled on the new CBA at my local dealer...so I may let go of the CBA after my stimulus check lands here in northwest Bama.
    Last edited by plowboysghost; 04-19-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plowboysghost View Post
    I'm lusting after the 26", though....
    Me too. I handled one at Cabela's and can't stop thinking about it. Was shocked at how well it handled with the 26 inch octagon barrel. Points naturally and just feels right. Did not even look like a remlin it was so well finished. I didn't have the funds at the time or it would have went home with me. If you get one please give a detailed review on it with lots of pics.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    If you get one please give a detailed review on it with lots of pics.
    I'll make a video or two and post it on my Youtube channel.

It's not that I don't like my CBA (I certainly do), but man....there's just something about that 26". It looks awesome, to me.
    Like I said, I was hunting a 26" Cowboy last year when I found this 18.5" octagon CBA ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJD7otUSVo&t=289s ) in stock, for less money than anywhere else I'd seen them new, and I had a revolver the dealer wanted. I could've been more patient and got a 26", but I had been out of a .45/70 since 2002 and was determined to get in the caliber again.

Boolit Master
    When I was shopping for my Marlin 1895, I was helped by another customer who owned 5 45-70 rifles (black powder cartridge shooter). He advised me to not buy the longer and heavier cowboy model or any of straight-stocked ones. His argument was that to pull the butt firmly into your shoulder, you pull on the rear of the lever with your fingers. After a number of shots, the little finger get sore, so you don't put enough rearward pressure on the rifle. That gives the recoiling rifle a running start against you shoulder.

I can't vouch for this, because he talked me into a curved pistol grip rifle. That and the price for the octagon cowboy rifle was $530, but the standard rifle was $350.

I may not have put as many rounds downrange in one setting as the feller that advised against straight stocks, but I've put enough rounds through straight stocked leverguns to know that there's nothing about them that would lead me (personally) to prefer a curved "pistol grip" stock.
    I do a lot of my "pulling tight" with my forearm-hand, anyway.

Boolit Master
    I really like my 1895 Cowboy. I thought all were 26" until I found the 18.5".
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Had the same decision a while back and bought a Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle. Shoots as good as it looks. Only lever I know which will feed 545g boolits without setting them deep in the case.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Well, finding a long barreled, color cased, cowboy action Marlin is like finding a unicorn. So I ended up going with a 26” octagon Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle in 45-70. Supposed be in this weekend, I’ll keep you guy posted on how it shoots.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanj View Post
    Well, finding a long barreled, color cased, cowboy action Marlin is like finding a unicorn. So I ended up going with a 26” octagon Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle in 45-70. Supposed be in this weekend, I’ll keep you guy posted on how it shoots.
    Congrats on the 86. I have a Miroku 86 in 45-90. Love how it shoots and feels, looks were Very plain so last month I stripped her down, discarded the tang safety and hand made a fire blued steel filler, cut a 1/2 cock notch in the hammer, relieved a few pounds off the hammer spring, stripped the plain walnut stock, added some gun stock red stain, 6 coats of boiled linseed oil and fire blued all the screw heads, I should have just bought the Pedersoli!!!
    post some pics when you get it out of the box! Oh, I hand-load with black powder, no substitutes, Super easy and super FUN to shoot!

Boolit Master
    Very pleased with this Uberti as my first lever gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model 1886 45-70.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	261203

No tang safety, just the way JMB designed it.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member