RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone who has attempted a long shot off hand can appreciate this!

Boolit Buddy
    No BS.

This would have been something very doable 15+ years ago when I was shooting alot of buffalo rifle and 308 bolt rifle with open sights. I was able to see the sights, targets, and could shoot very good when everything came together for me on that day. Some days were better than others, but normally things were good for me.

The 45/70 made the 308 seem like shooting a laser that didn't need elevation.

They were just using a radio/mike on the steel, just like we used to to verify hits. The video just helps make things see-able for us.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Im just gonna say this, I have my doubts about this video. Im a pretty good offhand shooter, Im no Brandon Green but Im usually over 96-7 with a few x's and have cleaned the offhand stage a few times. I don't see how thy are even reaching the target at that distance with that gun and load ( yes I have one) or with those sights. Any hits they are making are pure luck or the video is straight BS.
    Just my professional opinion.
    Agree. It would be an achievement to hit a 24" target off a rest with that rifle/load. Add in a bit of wind?????
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you want to try that - Practice, Practice, Practice. I wish I could do now, what I was taking for granted when 10-12

Boolit Master
    Im just gonna say this, I have my doubts about this video. Im a pretty good offhand shooter, Im no Brandon Green but Im usually over 96-7 with a few x's and have cleaned the offhand stage a few times. I don't see how thy are even reaching the target at that distance with that gun and load ( yes I have one) or with those sights. Any hits they are making are pure luck or the video is straight BS.
    So you are shooting 2inch group at 100yards? (3 inches wont get you 97) This guy is shooting at a two foot plate? at 1960 yards - same MOA hold as your target will put him on with about half his shots - his spotter is brilliant - and have a look (a close look not just ahh thats BS) at his target setup hes got two big gate posts sticking up right behind the plate target gives him a real nice holdover aiming mark. He was quite open about the fact that the one hit in the video was a fluke hit on his flagpole a couple of feet above the plate - "just having some fun at the end of our season" -----really dont know what your problem is with this -- there are a few aussies can shoot a long gun as good as you guys .

Boolit Master
    10 ring on the 200yd target is 6" so no. Its soooo easy to hit inside 6" at 200 right? that's why people always shoot cleans in offhand.
    Look Im telling you I have shot offhand in Highpower, smallbore, and airgun since 1989 and there is a whole hell of a lot more to shooting offhand than group size. Try shooting air rifle outdoors offhand past 25 yds if you want a quick lesson in Follow Through and wind. Plus when you start shooting at long range a minor change of direction will blow him off a target at that distance with a 30 cal magnum round, much less a 45/70 travelling 1/3 of that speed.
    If that guy is as good as his video, then he should have no problem winning the international Hunter Silhouette, BPCR, and or F Palma.
    You can believe what you want, but IMHO its a highly edited or BS video.
    and Nobody said the Aussies cant shoot, them and the Kiwis put a whoopin on good ole Team USA recently, but that guy wasn't on the team and it was not with that rifle.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    You can have a whole lotta fun taking long shots across canyons or up distant hillsides at conspicuous boulders and such. We have shot across remote lakes at weed clumps. Once you get things doped ii is easier than you think to drop your shots right in there. And don't leave the big bore revolvers in the trunk either. 1,900 yards is way far though.

Boolit Master

Watch the recoil in the video and tell me that's a 45-70 full power shot.

Boolit Grand Master

From the military Sandy Hook tests of 1879.

"For 3,500 yards distance, angles of elevation ran from 27 degrees to 29 degrees. This varied drastically from day to day due to the effects of head and tail winds. The quicker-twist rifles required less elevation than the others at the same range. The greatest distance obtained with the .45-caliber long range, 1-in-18 twist Springfield rifle was 3,680 yards. Angle of elevation didn't exceed 32 degrees on a day when an angle of about 25 degrees placed bullets all around the target at 3,500 yards range.
    While these tests may be considered mere oddities today, they proved extremely useful at the time. The fact that the 500-grain bullet penetrated through the three-plank target and eight inches into sand meant that it could kill or wound enemy troops at extreme distances, even if they were partially protected and that was significant military information in a period when it was quite usual for large masses of troops to form up within view of defenders...."

Dumb luck hit for sure, I don't know how anyone can argue that you can become good enough to off hand shoot anything smaller than a barn at 2000 yards. But the round itself is capable of traveling well over 2000 yards.

It really isn't that unbelievable... especially since he didn't even hit the target!

...and at the least, you could have watched the video before you besmirched them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

"For 3,500 yards distance, angles of elevation ran from 27 degrees to 29 degrees. This varied drastically from day to day due to the effects of head and tail winds. The quicker-twist rifles required less elevation than the others at the same range. The greatest distance obtained with the .45-caliber long range, 1-in-18 twist Springfield rifle was 3,680 yards. Angle of elevation didn't exceed 32 degrees on a day when an angle of about 25 degrees placed bullets all around the target at 3,500 yards range.
    While these tests may be considered mere oddities today, they proved extremely useful at the time. The fact that the 500-grain bullet penetrated through the three-plank target and eight inches into sand meant that it could kill or wound enemy troops at extreme distances, even if they were partially protected and that was significant military information in a period when it was quite usual for large masses of troops to form up within view of defenders...."

Dumb luck hit for sure, I don't know how anyone can argue that you can become good enough to off hand shoot anything smaller than a barn at 2000 yards. But the round itself is capable of traveling well over 2000 yards.
    Thank you! I was trying to locate that paper since this thread became a bit divisive. Amazing what lengths (no pun intended) were gone to during those trials!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    10 ring on the 200yd target is 6" so no. Its soooo easy to hit inside 6" at 200 right? that's why people always shoot cleans in offhand.
    Look Im telling you I have shot offhand in Highpower, smallbore, and airgun since 1989 and there is a whole hell of a lot more to shooting offhand than group size. Try shooting air rifle outdoors offhand past 25 yds if you want a quick lesson in Follow Through and wind. Plus when you start shooting at long range a minor change of direction will blow him off a target at that distance with a 30 cal magnum round, much less a 45/70 travelling 1/3 of that speed.
    If that guy is as good as his video, then he should have no problem winning the international Hunter Silhouette, BPCR, and or F Palma.
    You can believe what you want, but IMHO its a highly edited or BS video.
    and Nobody said the Aussies cant shoot, them and the Kiwis put a whoopin on good ole Team USA recently, but that guy wasn't on the team and it was not with that rifle.
    why you so keen on rubbishing this bloke ? just havin some fun he said - he walked his shots in, quit when he thought he made a hit, showed us the fluke hit on the flagpole, wheres the BS ????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

Those tests were with long barreled guns to get the velocity up, not a 20" barrel.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Those tests were with long barreled guns to get the velocity up, not a 20" barrel.
    This bloke is shooting modern smokeless handloads - hornady 325 plastic pointy nose over ADI powder clocked at 2280FPS -- would assume his chronograph is reasonably accurate ? or do they not work properly south of the equator either ? --- Sandy Hook test was blackpowder - of course they couldnt get that velocity with BP

- jeez guys you are inventing arguments to disprove something the bloke himself never claimed to do --- go back and view the video again and look at his fall of shot - he's done pretty good - put em into a target about the size of an F250 truck - good effort but he didnt blow the front wheel off it

I live in SE Ohio, the Appalachian region our county is called the Switzerland of Ohio. About only long shots we get are varmit hunting and even then you don’t see bullet strike. It’s a whole different ball game shooting on deserts or over big water. Off hand you may not hit a guy but you will make him seek cover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12