Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone who has attempted a long shot off hand can appreciate this!

Banned

Anyone who has attempted a long shot off hand can appreciate this!

I have posted some other videos of this shooter in the past. I still can't get over how good he is. People who don't shoot have no idea how hard this is but the folks here will appreciate it:

Yeesh. That's just madness. Pretty terrifying what a squad of dudes could do with 1873's and volley sights.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

Pretty good off hand shooting and she’s a great spotter!

Boolit Master

Fun times! I need to train my wife to spot! Makes more sense than the ridiculous pop shots people take on game on youtube.

Boolit Master
    bow to the king

Boolit Master
    Wow!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

One day at the end of the MCB Quantico 200 - 1000 yard high power match I asked the RO if I could take one shot offhand at 1000 yards with my M1 Garand. He keyed his mic and told the pit "one shot coming on #7." I fired, the target went down, came back up scored 9, and the Marine RO walked away muttering "Well I'll be." I was pleased.
    Last edited by Tatume; 04-19-2020 at 09:16 AM.

When I shot muzzle loader competition I did all my shooting off hand and even sighted in offhand and got pretty fair at it. I remember some guys were shooting some Remington Rolling blocks at a gong at a BP shoot and I was interested in them so one offered to let me shoot his. I shouldered it and rang the gong and he commented that they were shooting sitting or prone to do that. The most humorous example I saw was a fellow shooter and his wife who walked up to some shooters plinking at silhouettes with single shot pistols. One offered to let him shoot and he knocked over a silhouette shooting it like a target pistol, his wife thought that was interesting and she shot the same way and knocked over another target. They handed them back to the owner who was rather put out as he was not hitting so well shooting off the ground It is a discipline that takes a bit of practice. I used to hear a lot of guys brag about how tight of groups and how well their rifles shot but who later washed out in competition because all they shot was bench rest.

I am 70 years old now and not so steady but I still like to go out with a 32-20,357 or my 22 mag and do some offhand plinking while in the woods. A stump against a hill or other targets makes life interesting and combines a little range estimation with the practice.

DEP

I don't think i could even see that plate at half the distance!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    I don't think i could even see that plate at half the distance!
    I'd have trouble seeing it at 200 yards and we are talking a mile and a half here.

Kind of sums up what was said about Quigley in the movie. You can keep his rifle but give me his eyesight.

DEP

Boolit Mold
    Makes me think of my favourite scene in the movie Lonesome Dove - Gus with his ladder sight on the Henry.

I’m way past that shooting and eye sight required. One thing that sticks in my mind about long range shooting is what a DI told us in basic training. He said if you were in the dark and only the target was lit, how would you know if it was a golf ball or GI can lid? In other words other than the range, if you can see it you can aim at it. If you can see bullet strike you can compensate. It’s like walking in artillery with a FO.

Paul Matthews did a lot of long range shooting with the 45-70. He claimed that as long as you know the distance you can se the sights for it. Biggest problem is the wind.

DEP

Boolit Master
    I shoot offhand a lot, mostly at 200yds in, by my house and barn. I shot ML's in offhand competition for several years, and it requires a little bit more follow thru than a centerfire or rimfire. My offhand shooting was 3x better than it was, about a year into it. I can still hit a 5x5" plate hanging at 130 yds, 70% of the time, with a wide variety of guns. I shoot every day, except Sunday, and that has something to do with it.

Reminds me of the guy that shot steel buffalo @ 1200 with 30/30 long time ago.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    This guy is really good .......but his spotter is equally as talented !

Boolit Man
    Love the long delay between firing and the bullet strike.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

This is kinda like shooting at prairie dogs 6-700 yards away with a 223 Remington in a 20 mile per hour cross wind.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Im just gonna say this, I have my doubts about this video. Im a pretty good offhand shooter, Im no Brandon Green but Im usually over 96-7 with a few x's and have cleaned the offhand stage a few times. I don't see how thy are even reaching the target at that distance with that gun and load ( yes I have one) or with those sights. Any hits they are making are pure luck or the video is straight BS.
    Just my professional opinion.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast