RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wc blank powder?

wc blank powder?

I have an old canister of powder and the label just says "WC Blank." No usual number.

I've tried searching for any loading data, but I can't seem to find any.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thank you...

Boolit Mold
    WC Blank was used to load U.S. Military .30-06 Blank "ammo". It is a VERY fast burning powder. Under no circumstances can this powder be used in any cartridge as a propellant charge for a projectile. It can be used to create a blank cartridge for other calibers, but absolutely not for regular ammunition.

Boolit Buddy
    Blank powder is not for reloading bulleted cartridges. Burn rate is way too fast. I'd spread it out on the driveway and light it remotely.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Makes great fertilizer for growing tomatoes.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks for the advice...

Being frugal and upon the recommendation of a very experienced friend, I decided to give it a go.

Started at 1.7 grains in my Ruger .357 BH...

The 158 grain standard Lee flat nose penetrated an inch and a half into a 4x6 piece of pine at 15 yards.

No signs of pressure, very light recoil and sound. Seems like an ideal yard plinker...

Boolit Master
    Do an internet search, it's nothing to fool with. Plenty of old Rifleman articles on it. I vaguely recall something about toxicity but been too long.

I have been, and just did so again at your recommendation. Can't find any info.... Post some links if you come across any.

Meanwhile, I've worked up to 2.2 grains and pressure signs are about the same as my standard loads (in .38 brass).

Pleasant round and I plan to shoot it all up plinking and target shooting...

Thanks NyFirefighter357!

I'll take a look at those....My internet searching skills are obviously lacking...

(first link is this thread...)

(Read the other links...sounds like I'm lucky to be alive! If you don't hear from me again, you'll know why...)
    Last edited by sonoransixgun; 04-17-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    May not be what the can says.....my experience of blank powder was it was very thin discs of transparent papery material ,suppose nitrocellulose .....remembering that primers are explosive ,a bit more explosive isnt going to hurt a gun .There is only so much energy in a few grains of nitro,and its energy that damages your gun when in excess.....In fact some handgrenades were loaded with blankpowder,as a replacement for black ,because HE was too shattering ,and didnt produce the large fragments desired.

Boolit Grand Master

It would seem to me that anything that fast would reach a catastrophic pressure spike with no warning. You are smart to use a Blackhawk to test it but if 2.0gr suits your needs that's as far as I would test it and if less than that works fine I'd go with the lesser amount
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Thanks for the additional thoughts....

Appreciate the links again, NyFirefighter357. The stuff I have looks exactly like the photo in that milsurps link.

I agree with you, jonp, and based on the info from the links NyFirefighter posted, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing and not experiment further... I feel completely safe with 1.7-2.0 grains in my BH. It's really quite a small amount of powder, and all the shots I've fired so far have been consistent...

Shot a bunch of rounds with this, and the more I shoot, the more I like it. Very consistent. Sound and recoil are light. I forgot to put my ear protection on for one shot, and it was nothing more than .22 level. Accuracy is what I would hope for in any load. This is my 4x6 at 15 yards...

So I decided to try this in my .45 BH....Started out at 3 grains, and that's where I'll stay. The report was a little louder than with the .357, which kind of surprised me. I thought that wouldn't be the case with the lower pressure, but the crimp and heavy bullets might account for it. Recoil again was light. Unfortunately my analysis isn't very professional, but the .45 bullets blew through over three inches of pine, burying in the third board. I only had time for a six shot round, but accuracy was good (at 15 yards) and it's another great plinker/target round for using up this powder.

Last edited by sonoransixgun; 04-19-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Have you noticed any corrosion in the fired cases or in your barrels from using this powder?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Watching
    How much of this powder do you have left?
    Scary

Mike

p.s. fun reading

https://www.starlinebrass.com/articl...-to-make-ammo/

Boolit Master

Cool a use for it I like it , have none myself but I find that a lot of my reloading is using surplus powders and even regular powders I am not always loading what the books do and the powder and bullet companies do not shoot all weights and all calibers why we start low and work up use caution watch for signs and use chronographs and still it is a matter of caution and sound judgement , there have been multiple threads on mixed powders and other not so sure and it still all comes down to use your own judgement or just burn or dump .

Texas by God, nothing different from my regular loads...

Cool link, Mike....I have 2 lbs. of it. My friend also sent me 3 lbs. of WC 844 and 6 lbs. of WC 820, old stuff he's had sittin around. I'll use it up though.

Good sense, Flintnfire...I agree, and I'm not one to waste...

Went out and loaded up six more rounds for the .45 and shot a group. I haven't shot in bit, so there's always some warming up. I felt warmed up this morning and fired off a nice little group at 15 yds. Nothin like a .45 slug pileup...(Target is a chunk of hard mesquite...easy to dig the boolits out...)

Boolit Master

Nice photos , I loaded some 45 colt last night and today , just a simple 205 grain bullet powder coated with 6 grains of promo , I had some wc820 loved that stuff and boy was the price good back when I got it , wished I had bought more , he delivered it to me at the portland , or. gun show in back of his truck , Glad it works like it is , I to hate to waste , and like to see success in loading good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast