MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wc blank powder?

Boolit Mold
    Sonoransixgun:
    After reading through this thread again, another thought came to mind. Blank "ammo" is loaded for many different calibers. The military loaded .30-06 blanks used a powder known as "WC Blank", and is absolutely not suitable for a propellant powder. However, 7.62mm NATO Blank M82 ammo is loaded with WC818, a powder slightly faster than WC820 (aka Hodgdon H-110), and can be used to load regular ammunition. 5.56mm NATO Blanks were loaded with WC814, even faster than WC818, but still can be loaded same as Win231 powder. Caliber .50BMG Blank ammo was loaded with IMR700X, which most of us already know about this powder. I doubt that your powder, labeled as WC Blank, is actually the same as was used to load .30-06 blanks.
    Last edited by giddy; 04-19-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks, Flintfire...haven't tried promo yet, but I love loading and shooting the .45. I'll bet the price was good for the 820 back in the day...Yeah, I hate to waste too...

Thanks for the info, Giddy, you could be right. All I know is that it's called WC Blank and it looks exactly like the stuff in the photo of this link that Firefighter357 posted....https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=20353.

Anyway, it's fun and safe to shoot, and that's what matters....

Boolit Master
    I don’t have enough experience to feel comfortable loading with this powder, but would like to see how well it suppresses in 38 special.

Boolit Master
    I was really was expecting to see a "grenaded" blackhawk at the end of this...I will keep checking back. There will be "blank" references used at that point. Subscripting now. Keep it updated please.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Dang, wish you were closer, I need some blank powder!

To make blanks of all things!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Yeah, TCLouis, guess you can't drive down to the local supplier and get the stuff...

So I tried out the 2 gr. rounds in a gp100.... The gun belongs to my brother. I'm a single action guy. Anyway, the rounds felt the same as they do in my BH. Very pleasant to shoot. I can't get a very good group, though, but I'll try some more. Part of the problem is the factory trigger. Man, that thing's stiff. I think part of the problem is the boolit design. For some reason I've never been real good with the round flat nose design. I do much better with the ole keith swc design. I have some .38 boolits someone sent me that are the keith swc design. I'm going to try them out and see what happens. My goal is to get the one hole pileup like I do with the .45. That will be a happy day....

Boolit Bub
    I bought some .357 ammo from a guy in Auburn WA. Went to the range to shoot and the first 5 rounds fired in my 3 screw Ruger Blackhawk would not eject from the cylinder. Had to remove the cylinder at home and take a punch to remove the spent cases. Did pull down on the rounds had anywhere from 5 grains to 11 grains of powder behind a jacketed 158 grain hollow point. I talked to a friend that is commercial reloader. I showed him the powder and he confirmed it was a WC blank powder which is off the scale fast. He warned me not to use it because it can create some wild pressure excursions that are not pretty. I had great looking roses after that.

Thanks for sharing your experience, ScotMc... What kind of nut would do that!?! Good reason to avoid buying ammo from an unknown private reloader....Wow!

So today I had a chance to load up some RCBS swc's. More accurate for sure. I was so taken with these bullets that I ordered a mold immediately.

Two grains of powder in .38 cases from both gp100 and BH. This group is with the BH, but the gp100 wasn't much different. I have lightened aftermarket trigger springs in my BH, but the sight picture is probably the worst of my revolvers, for some reason. I think if I can fix that, it'll shrink my group even more...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoransixgun View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience, ScotMc... What kind of nut would do that!?! Good reason to avoid buying ammo from an unknown private reloader....Wow!

So today I had a chance to load up some RCBS swc's. More accurate for sure. I was so taken with these bullets that I ordered a mold immediately.

Two grains of powder in .38 cases from both gp100 and BH. This group is with the BH, but the gp100 wasn't much different. I have lightened aftermarket trigger springs in my BH, but the sight picture is probably the worst of my revolvers, for some reason. I think if I can fix that, it'll shrink my group even more...

Hi- This guy was in business as a commercial reloader. He is out of business now.... Nice group there!!

ScotMc, doesn't surprise me that he's out of business, but who would consider commercial reloading if you can't even measure powder!!! Putting guns and lives jeopardy....whew...

Guess I don't really have much else to say about the topic of this powder. I'm posting a pic of the way the grains look and the bottle. I feel that for light loads this stuff is 100% safe. I've now shot dozens of rounds with it. Based on all the advice and experience posted here (as well as what the friend who gave it to me said), there is no way I will mess with stronger loads...

Bottom shot is most recent group in .38 special cases, 2 grains of blank powder, RCBS SWC bullets. The top left hole was a known flier. I had fire lapped this gun before (only handgun I've bought used), but since beginning this thread I decided to lap it some more. I put an additional 24 lapping rounds through it. Shooting this last group, when I knew I was doing things right, the bullet hit where it was supposed to. I'm completely confident in the gun, which is a first with this particular revolver, since I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it. Good to feel that way about a gun... Thanks for all the input and thoughts...

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12