Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in Karma

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    God does not keep score....if we believe Jesus died for our sins and accepting Him is a "ticket" to heaven.
    Well, yes He does, and he scores us with great accuracy too. If not, there would be no meaning to the Bible saying each of us will be judged for things done in the flesh. But, it's not a "weighing in a balance" thing about salvation at all; it will be rewarding for good in Heaven and setting a just punishment for bad deeds in hell; there is ONLY ONE SIN that sends anyone to hell and that's rejecting the Lord's freely offered ticket to eternal life with him in his heaven. (John 3:17-18)

Many believe all sins are equal so the concept of God keeping score on Judgement Day is meaningless. If murdering a child is equivalent to stealing a $1 out of your desk drawer...well it seems silly to me. So I do not believe all sins are equal.
    And you are right. All sin is sin but not every sin is as bad as others or there would need be no cause for a judgement day at all.

The Great White Throne judgement is to determine the just punishment for what each lost person has done. Each will reap exactly what he has sown, not what another has sown. (2 Cor 5:10)

Those well meaning (but wrong) people who say all sins are equal and will be treated equally in hell have been listening to too many poorly educated in the scriptures "hellfire and brimstone" preachers that have massively misunderstood the great difference between just thinking of a sin and doing it. Wishing to sin hurts us and offends God but doing sin directly hurts others; God really dislikes that!
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-17-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tim, in your original post you wrote. "Do you believe that bad deeds in this life will be punished in this life or in an after life?"

For many of us, the "after life" is of much more consequence...sorry if I went down the wrong rabbit hole. For me the after life is heaven or hell.
    no problem, I did mention both but was mostly interested in Karma while we live.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Tim, in your original post you wrote. "Do you believe that bad deeds in this life will be punished in this life or in an after life?"

For many of us, the "after life" is of much more consequence...sorry if I went down the wrong rabbit hole. For me the after life is heaven or hell.
    Myself, I believe that God judges us for his purposes in the afterlife. The heaven/hell thing is fantasy and the afterlife is whatever God feels we are suited for. I was just wondering if people though that God rewards and punishes us in this life.

Tim

Boolit Master

What most people call karma is nothing more than the results of the actions of stupid people.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    What most people call karma is nothing more than the results of the actions of stupid people.
    Yes, but is some part of it God acting in the present?

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Karma (aka The Law of Cause and Effect) is usually referenced in discussions about reincarnation.

Although the Bible does not use that word (Karma), the concept is referenced in many passages and used by Jesus Himself.

"...Live by the sword, die by the sword..." is one of them.

Yes, I believe good acts bring on good things to you in this life time.
    Bad acts are also dealt with as well.
    If they are not dealt with in this life, then they are carried over into our next reincarnation.
    Our next life is tailored to give us the opportunity to resolve those issues so that we may spiritually progress to "heaven" to be with God.

There is no hell that one goes to for eternity.

For those that believe that their belief in Jesus, as their Savior, gives them a free pass to heaven because Jesus died for their sins are mistaken, in my opinion. For them, Karma is not even up for discussion since it would be a moot point.

You reap what you sow and are accountable.
    It seems somewhat contradictory to read Karma references in the Bible, and then tell yourself that it does not refer to you because Jesus died for your sins so you've got a pass on that Karma thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    ... Bad acts are also dealt with as well.
    If they are not dealt with in this life, then they are carried over into our next reincarnation.....

Our next life is tailored to give us the opportunity to resolve those issues so that we may spiritually progress to "heaven" to be with God.
    "Our next life is tailored" ... Really? And to what "God" do you refer? How do you know that? And, if you're right, how might people who have absolutely no memory of past "issues" could reasonably be expected to do better the next time?

There is no hell that one goes to for eternity.
    ??? Interesting observation and calmly stated as a fact. I wonder, are you the authority who declares all that to be true, i.e., all on your own, or do you have another reliable source to support your claim?

(I'm betting you and your sources are going to be badly disappointed in yourselves when all yawl finally learn the truth about that.)

You reap what you sow and are accountable.
    So, to whom or what scorekeeper do you believe we are "accountable"? (Except maybe to the God you deny?)

That's a bit of a head scratcher since God must really like stupid people.

Why else would he have made so darn many of them?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Stupid people were put on Earth as and obstacle for us to deal with. How you deal with stupid people will reveal much about your character.

Tim

Boolit Master

I am simply amazed everytime one of these discussions comes up and learn so much that people think they know about the Holy Bible and the message it is meant to convey to us.
    I'll give you a tip, the Bible is meant to be read as a whole book and to be understood as a whole book. Once you understand the jest of the whole Book, [which is the mind and thinking of God] the books in the Bible will have greater meaning as do individual verses.
    Read the whole Bible and ask yourself, what does God want me to know, help me understand the thing I don't know. Don't just pick out the verses you want to believe and discard the rest like you would pick blueberries and put them in a basket and leave the rest behind.
    You do yourself an injustice by basing everything you believe about the Bible and God by only believing one or two verses in the Bible.
    The Devil has done his job when you start believing things that are not of God or in the Bible.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    "Our next life is tailored" ... Really? And to what "God" do you refer? How do you know that? And, if you're right, how might people who have absolutely no memory of past "issues" could reasonably be expected to do better the next time?

??? Interesting observation and calmly stated as a fact. I wonder, are you the authority who declares all that to be true, i.e., all on your own, or do you have another reliable source to support your claim?

(I'm betting you and your sources are going to be badly disappointed in yourselves when all yawl finally learn the truth about that.)
    First off, you seem to need to be reminded that there is only one God.
    God the Creator.

I know from reading your posts that you have an understanding about karma and reincarnation yet you still asked those silly questions.
    Why is that?

What I have stated relates to what karma and reincarnation is about.
    I suggest that you do a web search on those topics for a better understanding.
    While you are at it, get a cup of coffee and search for reincarnation in the Bible.
    I think that you will be surprised at what you find.

So, to whom or what scorekeeper do you believe we are "accountable"? (Except maybe to the God you deny?)
    <sigh>Now we come to this.
    So, you say I deny God.
    A denier of God is an atheist.

You know better yet you tell me and everyone else here that I am God denier.
    Here's one for you 1hole:
    "Thou shalt not bear false witness............."
    Bad Karma for you 1hole.

Boolit Master
    Ah, well. I tried.

Boolit Master
    i worked in the services industry for 44 years.
    i went into hundreds of homes each year.

and while i'm a flawed human work in progress i have noted that there are very wealthy people out there without so much as 2 neurons to rub together to call an original thought...yet they drove ferraris, lamborghinis and live in million dollar houses and have done so since they got out of college.....never seem to have problems.

then there are people like me... doomed to struggle every day...and witness them.

gee i sure hope there is karma.

but i doubt it.

Boolit Master
    I am simply amazed everytime one of these discussions comes up and learn so much that people think they know about the Holy Bible and the message it is meant to convey to us.
    I'll give you a tip, the Bible is meant to be read as a whole book and to be understood as a whole book. Once you understand the jest of the whole Book, [which is the mind and thinking of God] the books in the Bible will have greater meaning as do individual verses.
    Read the whole Bible and ask yourself, what does God want me to know, help me understand the thing I don't know. Don't just pick out the verses you want to believe and discard the rest like you would pick blueberries and put them in a basket and leave the rest behind.
    You do yourself an injustice by basing everything you believe about the Bible and God by only believing one or two verses in the Bible.
    The Devil has done his job when you start believing things that are not of God or in the Bible.
    Everyone should also remember that the Bible is not the only wisdom God provided. God sent us many messages from many sources.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i worked in the services industry for 44 years.
    i went into hundreds of homes each year.

and while i'm a flawed human work in progress i have noted that there are very wealthy people out there without so much as 2 neurons to rub together to call an original thought...yet they drove ferraris, lamborghinis and live in million dollar houses and have done so since they got out of college.....never seem to have problems.

then there are people like me... doomed to struggle every day...and witness them.

gee i sure hope there is karma.

but i doubt it.
    I think anyone who feels good about driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini is compensating for something missing in their life. Not sure that they are happy.

Alternately while they might not have "so much as 2 neurons to rub together to call an original thought," were they kind or generous. Karma, to me, is more about good and evil not smart or dumb.

Tim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Everyone should also remember that the Bible is not the only wisdom God provided. God sent us many messages from many sources.

Tim
    I am curious, what sources that have any credibility and are recognized with the Christian community?

Boolit Master
    I am curious, what sources that have any credibility and are recognized with the Christian community?
    Recognition by the Christian community has no relevance regarding credibility.

The works of Confucius for starters and then we could add

The Republic – Plato.
    Nicomachean Ethics – Aristotle.
    A History of Western Philosophy – Bertrand Russell.
    Beyond Good and Evil – Friedrich Nietzsche.
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Robert M. Pirsig.
    Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy – René Descartes.
    The World as Will and Representation – Arthur Schopenhauer.

If you have not read at least some of these books, well known for their genius, then how can you feel you have a good grasp on Deep Theology. While I have not read them all, I have a pretty good start.

Tim

I believe my Karma just ran over your Dogma

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Recognition by the Christian community has no relevance regarding credibility.

The works of Confucius for starters and then we could add

The Republic – Plato.
    Nicomachean Ethics – Aristotle.
    A History of Western Philosophy – Bertrand Russell.
    Beyond Good and Evil – Friedrich Nietzsche.
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Robert M. Pirsig.
    Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy – René Descartes.
    The World as Will and Representation – Arthur Schopenhauer.

If you have not read at least some of these books, well known for their genius, then how can you feel you have a good grasp on Deep Theology. While I have not read them all, I have a pretty good start.

Tim
    In your list of deep theological reads you forgot Dr. Seuss.

Boolit Master
    In your list of deep theological reads you forgot Dr. Seuss.
    Excellent observation. And, in context, it's quite relevant to the discussion at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast