MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Going Price for 50/50 Bar Solder

Boolit Buddy

Going Price for 50/50 Bar Solder

So with time on my hands lately went through some of the lead storage containers. Have enough 50/50 bar solder for a few lifetimes of bullet casting and want to move some. Listed some online and no interest, sale pulled so thinking about trying to move some here for the members. They are 1+ pound bars, commercial quality.

What is a fair sale value by the pound?

Please do not contact me about offline sales. Feedback will be used only for sales on this site once a going rate is determined.

Thanks,

Mark

Boolit Master
    I can only tell you how I would look at it as a buyer. The price would tempt me if it would cost me more to buy the component metals myself.

If I needed alloy right now I could buy from Rotometals, where 50/50 will cost $10.50/pound (free shipping for >$99 purchase).

Waiting for it to come up for sale in the S&S, lead is about a dollar a pound and pewter (which is 90-95% tin) is about eight dollars a pound. Shipping is usually extra. Figure on 20 pounds of 50/50 by USPS SFRB. Ten pounds of lead is worth $10 on the S&S, ten pounds of tin about $86, shipping is $7.65. Total cost of ~$104, or $5.20/pound.

If I scrounged pewter for tin and scrap lead myself, I likely could beat the prices in the S&S by a fair bit, but that's a process that usually takes a LOT of time and patience. But then I wouldn't have to buy outside at all.
    Last edited by kevin c; 04-20-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Fixed Rotometals price

Lead 1.00 per pound. Tin 8.00 per pound total, assuming a 2lb bar, $9 a bar
    μολών λαβέ