RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: RIP Doc

Vendor Sponsor

RIP Doc

The man who taught me how to reload many years ago Charlie “Doc” Bailey passed away yesterday morning. He probably forgot more about reloading than I will ever know. I spent countless hours as a tween and early teen in his shop loading for every caliber I could. It was a good place to get away from teenage angst and get advice not only on reloading but general life as well. He had a quirky and very dry sense of humor but you always knew where you stood with him. He made one hell of an impression on a boy trying to figure out what it meant to be a man and he will be sorely missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master

My condolences , I do know some of what you feel my mentors in loading have all passed away many years ago now , and some very dear and close friends have passed as many of my best friends were 30 years older or more , to those we hold dear and to those who helped shape us here is my toast you were great men great friends and you are missed

Boolit Master
    My condolences as well.

Sad to lose a friend and mentor, almost like losing a parent. My sympathies. I guess what you can do to honor his memory is to pass along some of the knowledge you acquired from him to another young person.

Moderator Emeritus

I also had a mentor for reloading and when he passed it left a hole in my heart. I know how you feel and I am truly sorry for your loss. Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Sad to lose a friend and mentor, almost like losing a parent. My sympathies. I guess what you can do to honor his memory is to pass along some of the knowledge you acquired from him to another young person.
    I would love the opportunity to do that some day. Unfortunately ours is a bit of a dying art with weighing interest. Hopefully my daughter will will take an interest when she gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you lost your mentor. Those must be nice memories.

Boolit Buddy
    Very sorry for the loss of your friend and mentor. I fear folks like that are fewer and fewer.

God Bless.

Isaac

Boolit Grand Master
    You are lucky to have found someone like him.
    Maybe someday I might.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry for the loss of your friend. We should all strive to be the person that he was.

Sorry for the loss of your mentor. I would encourage every one of us who has the opportunity to mentor another in this fascinating hobby.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

My mentor was my cousin who was the same age as me and lived out in the country and his family also reloaded. My folks let me have firearms but never had reloaded much. I buried him on our 42 birthday, ten years after I buried my wife. Yes losing a mentor, friend and family member has left many memories.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very sorry for your loss but may the good memories you have of him help bring some comfort to you.

I think your post will hit a nerve with a lot of folks on here. It doesn't necessarily have to be associated with reloading - that just happened to be the path that brought you two together. I had a number of "mentors" in regards to a lot fo different things. One was a World War I vet that had no family - lived a very frugal life - he would share his stories with me and i would visit him often when I was in high school. He didn't drive so I would take him shopping or pick groceries up for him - my mother would send a loaf of homemade bread with me when I went to visit him - a very gently and kind man who had seen way too much during the war. We would talk about so many things - education, religion, old-timers from our area . just whatever came up. I found out that he had graduated with my grandmother. My grandparents died when I was young and I guess he was a "surrogate grandfather" of sorts and I was probably like a grandson he nerve had - but he influenced me to go on to college, stay out of trouble and live life ln the square. Most of us have had such people who have touched our lives and some of us more than one. Perhaps the best lesson of all though is to remember their influence on us and how they helped us - and pay it forward in our own lives by helping a young person along when we can. There are a lot of kids out there who have a pretty bad time of it and just need to know that someone cares . . . and you never know when just a few words of encouragement can change the life of another. May your friend rest in peace - his legacy is carried on through you.