MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: .45-60 or .45-75

Boolit Bub

.45-60 or .45-75

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting this question in the right place and it hasn't been asked before.

I am interested in getting a Uberti Winchester 76 in either .45-60 or .45-75. I know that reloading .45-60 would be easier but I am happy to go to the extra effort/cost if the .45-75 offers any noticeable advantages in range or accuracy. So my question is does it? I would only be using it for target shooting, not hunting so that isn't a relevant factor for me. I am mainly just interested in the accuracy potential at range of one cartridge over the other.

Boolit Master
    If using real black powder the .45/75 would be more powerful and prolly worth the extra effort, if you plan to use smokeless I'd go with the 45/60 as both rounds will have empty space in the case once charged, and pressure numbers won't allow anything in the bigger case for any extra power.

Boolit Buddy

I just got one in 50-95 and loving it. I made my brass from Starline 50 Alaskan which would also work for 45-75. 50AK was $111/100 shipped from Brownells, 45-60 would be a little cheaper. If I were going to get another 76 I would get a shorter barreled 45-75 as the full 28" barreled rifle is a lot of weight to pack around. Whatever way you go you will enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	260456

Tom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sfwh View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting this question in the right place and it hasn't been asked before.

I am interested in getting a Uberti Winchester 76 in either .45-60 or .45-75. I know that reloading .45-60 would be easier but I am happy to go to the extra effort/cost if the .45-75 offers any noticeable advantages in range or accuracy. So my question is does it? I would only be using it for target shooting, not hunting so that isn't a relevant factor for me. I am mainly just interested in the accuracy potential at range of one cartridge over the other.
    Uberti has changed the specs since I bought mine (2014) at that point the 45/60 was a slow twist barrel and only suited to the lighter boolits - my 45/75 is a 20twist and will shoot anything up to a 500grain postell (gotta single load those) - the latest add says the 45/60 is 20"twist also - for blackpowder its the 45/75 hands down and they do really well with black. The 45/60 is probably the more sensible choice but who buys a '76 because they are bein sensible ????????

Boolit Bub
    Well .45-75 seems like a good option in that case. Has anyone ever noticed a difference in the functionality of the rifles in the different calibres in terms of the smoothness of the loading/cycling?

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    We have two 45-60 rifles. One is an original and the other is Chapparel repro. Both function flawlessly with all the slugs we have tried.
    But be aware there may be hangups with a true WC style. We have used RNFP in 350 - 450 grains and generally shoot the 350 slug with 3F Goex.
    With the 45-75 case 15 grains makes a difference.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Mt Chambers said it all, in the post above. For hunting the 45-75 has the edge, when both are loaded with Black Powder. The best brass to form 45-75 WCF from is 50-90 Sharps Straight. It has the right base dimension. Your cases won’t end up with the coke bottle look that you get from 348W or 50 Alaskan. A sensible person would go with the 45-60. Brass is cheap, just a little trim job.
    I shoot an original 1876, It was a 40-60 WCF 28” round barrel with a non existent rifling when I acquired it. Sent the barrel to Jim Dubiel of Clearwater Reboring. He bored and rifled it to .450-.457 1-20 twist. Then had it chambered to 45-75 WCF. Bought a Montana Vintage Arms,Midrange Soule Tang and a #115 Front Sight. It shoots incredible!
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 04-26-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Correcting auto Correct

Boolit Grand Master

The 45=75 was touted as the most accurate of the Winchester rounds in the old days. But the 45-75 was not a long range target round because it shot a lighter bullet than the Sharps and you are limited on loading the gun as to over all length of cartridge because of the action. I will bet the 45-75 will have a small advantage with the bullets available and suitable for the gun but small.

Add in the cost of brass dies and such and the 45-60 is looking better and better. I load 45-60 with 45-70 brass trimmed and 45-70 dies witht eh seater shortened.

I have an original 1876 in 45-60. I use Trail Boss powder in it and get the same velocities as the original black powder loading. I use this mold: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-305C-D.png, Starline 45-70 brass trimmed to 1.890", and use a Lee die set in 45-60 Win. Load work-up seemed to be very easy and straight forward. The most accurate load for mine is also the maximum load of TB. I would like to load and shoot a 45-75 Winchester someday. https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...l=LY&i=7460509, for the die set. Good luck and stay safe!

Boolit Master
    Uberti 45/75
    466 grain (modified Lyman Postell design) 72 grains FFg - 2 juice box wads = 1244 FPS ave - with 10FPS extreme spread

Its a Grease boolit loaded kissing the lands - have to single load into the chamber - it shoots pretty darn nice.

Winchester did a PP - 450 grain x 90 grain powder loading for these guns back in the day

Only hitch is once you move the lever forward you are committed to firing that round or else using a small screwdriver to jimmy the extractor up over the case rim to clear the gun