Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Captive bolt gun for dispatching carp?

Boolit Master

Captive bolt gun for dispatching carp?

We just finished up bowfishing season for carp, and I need to find a better way of knocking them out to minimize the risk of injury from the arrow. I clubbed a few while holding them, but the impact was hard on my hand. I was thinking a small captive bolt gun would work well. I haven't looked around yet, but through you fellows might have some ideas.

Boolit Master
    light a m-80 and put it in his mouth?...... i got nuthin!

Boolit Master
    How about a bang-stick the scuba divers use?

Sounds like the perfect reason why you 'need' to get a suppressed .22 pistol.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-16-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a stun gun but wear a rubber glove
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Take a look at the new Keltec P-17, a 22 LR pistol. 14 ounces loaded with 16 in the magazine. Seems just the thing for a boat gun. I ordered two, as they are pretty cheap to buy and have great reviews.

Boolit Master
    I agree something with a captive bolt would be a lot safer in a boat. Maybe just a spike (big nail with the tip ground round) in the end of the club..

Boolit Master
    Captive bolt guns fowl. You'll spend more time cleaning the crud from the blanks.
    Some one makes a captive bolt gun that uses compressed air, that would do the job.
    https://www.qcsupply.com/ted-captive-bolt-stunner.html

It's called Ted Captive bolt. Kills the crap out of turkeys
    Last edited by bayjoe; 04-16-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Take a look at the new Keltec P-17, a 22 LR pistol. 14 ounces loaded with 16 in the magazine. Seems just the thing for a boat gun. I ordered two, as they are pretty cheap to buy and have great reviews.
    Not so much on the reviews. Check out The Firearms Blog. They look like junk but you may get lucky
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

A search for Keltec P17 on The Firearms Blog turned up only this: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...06/keltec-p17/ A glowing review, indeed.

The most recent review I read came from a buddy who took his to the range two days ago. He was very pleased with the handling and trigger manners, said the gun functioned with all manner of ammo.

My PMR-30 has likewise been impressive. I agree, many Keltecs look like junk, which is one reason I avoided them. But, some friends' experiences made me give them a try and I'm happy I did.

Had to look up what a captive bolt gun is - never heard of it. Interesting, and safer than a firearm when muscling a fish about in a boat.

USMC 77, USRA 79

use what we use for salmon... a small baseball bat looking thing and club them on the head.. one good wack is all you need.

https://smhttp-ssl-77962.nexcesscdn....0_op_sharpen_1
    Last edited by Markopolo; 04-16-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sounds like the perfect reason why you 'need' to get a suppressed .22 pistol.
    EVERYONE needs at least ONE suppressed pistol.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

Over the years, shot thousands of fish with a bow, mostly carp and buffalo, some over 30 pounds, never felt a need to incapacitate one. Gar are a different story. I always did it from shore, I sure would be careful shooting anything in a boat.
    Last edited by richhodg66; 04-16-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Lol... I don't know why you'd ever want to shoot a carp. I just take them with a with a bow or a spear and throw them on the bank untill they stop flopping. It's still 29° here we got a month before carp start going. Don't waste your money on a Kel-Tec. I had one that wouldn't cycle in a PMR-30 and went back to the factory three times. Kel Tec gave up on it and refunded me. Get a ruger wrangler.

Boolit Master

A bit more detail: We (bow) shoot the fish while wading in the flooded margins of a lake, think knee deep swamp with some sections waist deep. After a successful shot, we drag the fish back to the canoe, sometimes a hundred yards plus. Right now we are grabbing them through the gill plate for a handhold which seems to set off a round or three of thrashing, which hard on the hand. Tried whacking the fish with a club while holding it but it, transferred the shock into my hand, and carp have very heavy skulls that require a significant whack. I woke up this morning not able to close my hand more than halfway.

Any type of firearm would be subjected to dunkings in muddy water. Things get a little crazy at times with the kids wrangling a 20+ lb fish and I don't like the idea of a loose projectile.

I might try a short length of rope to hang the fish off of and absorb the impact of the club and provide a better hand hold for dragging the fish. Although we did have one tear through its jaw thrashing after we tied it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Lol... I don't know why you'd ever want to shoot a carp. I just take them with a with a bow or a spear and throw them on the bank untill they stop flopping. It's still 29° here we got a month before carp start going. Don't waste your money on a Kel-Tec. I had one that wouldn't cycle in a PMR-30 and went back to the factory three times. Kel Tec gave up on it and refunded me. Get a ruger wrangler.
    Plenty of carp and suckers to be had this time of year, I am near traverse city, we spear at night and are mostly after catfish.

But by the infinite wisdom of our state gov, we are not allowed in boats.....

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe some thing similar to a hay hook to hang them from. A piece of 1/4" X 1/2" with a hook bent on one end to hang fish by gill and whack it then. I also thought of the nail firing blanks drivers short the nail. Just let the blast do it.

Hilti gun ! What do you do with the carp ? Round here we just killem and their coon food on the bank
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Hilti gun ! What do you do with the carp ? Round here we just killem and their coon food on the bank
    I have to admit to leaving a lot of them on the bank, but I ate a lot of them too. They're a lot better eating than many people think.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast