Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Captive bolt gun for dispatching carp?

Boolit Master

build yourself a spring loaded rod inside a pipe style captive bolt whacker.

reciprocating charging handle that rotates at a notch.
    flick the handle out of the notch.
    rod shoots down the pipe.
    then cock it back to the notch.

more or less.

good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I also thought of the nail firing blanks drivers short the nail. Just let the blast do it.
    I think you've got something there..... remember that actor who killed himself by firing a blank cartridge against his skull?

https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/the-bi...-set-accident/
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

It's hard to tell Carp patties from Salmon patties but I'd rather eat catfish myself. We sometimes shoot rough fish with guns and the scavengers can have them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Grind them up, add some spices, stuff into a casing of some sort and cook in some way. I've had some delicious Gefilte fish and some that wasn't worth raising a fork to ones mouth.

Boolit Master
    Years ago several friends and I would go carp shooting with bows. We bought the cheap wood kids arrows. We would keep shooting them until they quit moving. Sometimes they looked like pin cushions but with 4 or 5 arrows in them they didn't fight much.

2 points.

A don't use hand to hold the carp. Get one of those fish gripper things.

15$ on Amazon.

B Think half sized baseball bat. Some bartenders used to have them for breaking ice.
    Drill out the end a couple of inches. Pour in some melted lead. Now you have something that will seriously stun a big fish.
    https://lacassebats.com/products/fish-club
    15$

Commercial cattle popper, spring bolt gun. Remove barb from saltwater hook on a rope for dragging.
    Whatever!

If truly compelled to shoot them, get a cheap revolver and feed it nail driving blanks. Press the muzzle to the fish and fire; the blast will do the job.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned

Attachment 260493

This is my bowfishing spot. The long nosed gar will spawn along those limestone ledges in mid May and the water will be full of them. This is a medium sized one I shot a few years ago, haven't done it much since. Water level has been way too high with all these heavy rain years lately.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Carry a little ice pick and poke them in the brain area a couple of times. it requires a lot less arm energy to poke a hole or two than smacking it with a little night stick imo. The night sticks do work just fine. If I spear carp in the head area they normally don’t flop around or move. It will save money on ammo. I switched over to a spear from a bow back in the eighties after several lost arrows and flying back at me when getting wrapped around my bear carp reels. Figured I’d loose an eye one day. My buddy gave me a speer with what has to be a 20’ handle on it and drilled on the end for a rope if I throw it. One of these days I’ll have to buy a modern carp reel but just can’t justify a $150 set up. I still have the old bear reels and glass arrows from the 70’s.

Here a couple smoked last year that I speared.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-17-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Banned

I switched over to the slider system of rigging arrows and the likelihood of a snap back now is just about none. It's a lot better system than the old way of rigging. The retriever reel like I have on that bow is a zero drag set up and works a lot better than the spool ones do. The learning curve was real steep for me my first few years and I lost a lot of arrows and had other problems including one snap back that hurt me but could have been a lot worse. The slides, the better reel and also switching to Muzzy fish head solved pretty much all problems and I have't lost an arrow for a very long time. For anybody wanting to take this up, don't waste time with any heads other than the Muzzy, they really are that much superior to any others.

Banned

These have gone up considerably in price since I bought mine, but I can vouch that it is a high quality product and worth it if you are going to bowfish much. https://www.amsbowfishing.com/produc...etrieverr-pro/

Boolit Buddy
    I reckon you could just use the pointed end of a chipping hammer about as easy,or easier .

Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I reckon you could just use the pointed end of a chipping hammer about as easy,or easier .
    Or a killing hammer like they used to use in slaughterhouses.

I shot a carp in the head with a 22 pistol once. Once. I smelled like carp brains all day, even after I wiped off most of the goo.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 04-17-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Just carry a small baseball bat and before you pull them from the water, whack them in the head.

Heavy rains and river flooded. Farmer let us wade in his field and I used a baseball bat and just snuck up on the carp and whacked them in the head. Got laughed at when I brought the bat instead of a spear, but I got more carp than anyone else.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You could make one with some wood, a steel rod with a capture ring on the breech end. Power with surgical tubing.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a pretty good carp recipe it,s called "Maple wood carp"
    Scale,and gut carp
    Rub carp with salt,and pepper
    Coat carp in flour
    Place carp on well greased Maple board
    Bake carp in 400 degree oven for one hour
    Remove carp from oven,and let stand to cool
    Remove carp from board
    Throw carp away,and eat board...Bon Apitite!
    I figure possum would be alright fixed this way too.

Banned
    The father of a friend of mine used to catch a lot of Muskellunge. Probably the best musky fisherman of all time. Back in the days before they stocked muskies it was rare to catch one. This guy caught 13 muskies over 30lbs on the same lure.
    He kept a snub nose 38 in his pocket. When the fish was up to the boat, he would shoot just in front of it's nose. The impact would stun the fish just long enough to get it into the boat.
    I have seen it work. They roll right over from the concussion. By the way, it was perfectly legal back then.