WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Making 30 Remington AR out of????

Boolit Man

Making 30 Remington AR out of????

I am looking to the time when Remington stops production of their 30 Remington AR brass. It has an original case head size (.496) and I can find no other case that has this size head. The body, just forward of the extractor grove is .500. I have found that there are accouple of cases with case heads slightly (.506) larger that can be turned down to the proper size but the body diameter is only .4703.

My questions to this group are "do you think the smaller case could possibly fireform without splitting?" "Or will this much expansion leave a weakened case?"

Thanks for your help.

DH

They say the .30remar has the .450bushmaster for a parent case but the rim is smaller in diameter by approximately .020". Maybe pick up some .450 bushmaster brass and try and form some, see if the smaller rim diameter actually matters. Or just make sure you have plenty of .30remar brass on hand if they do axe it. I always thought the Rem AR was good performing cartridge, I wish other manufacturers would have made barrels and other parts more available.

Boolit Master

Are not the 6.8 caliber made from 30 Remington cases.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Are not the 6.8 caliber made from 30 Remington cases.
    Yes they are, however, the 30 Rem AR is a much different case than the old 30 Rem.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2...ead-gunwriter/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

So, without enough information any answer is nothing more than a poor guess that means nothing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    So, without enough information any answer is nothing more than a poor guess that means nothing.
    The OP clearly stated 30 Remington AR. The 30 Rem AR started a large rim 284 Winchester case not the normal rim diameter of 0.473 inch. They shortened the case to 1.53 inches, gave it a 0.304-inch-long neck and a 25 degree shoulder. The claimed problem was the 0.473-inch rebated rim would not feed reliably in the AR, so Remington increased rim diameter to 0.492 inch. What information is lacking?

I didn't think of it before, however, a 7.5 x 55 Swiss case with boxer primers would work as a parent case. It's almost an exact match. It's was very common to neck the 284 up to use in the K-31's before boxer primer cases were readily available. The rebated 284 Rim didn't cause issues with the K-31.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...s-from-284-Win

Good price on loaded ammo here https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rem...-p-118962.html

Case specs at the bottom of the page here. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...wiss+GP11.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-16-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I was unaware that the 30 Remington and the 30 Remington AR were two different cases. Mostly because I am not an owner of any form or type of AR so I am not a follower of the goings-on of the latest and greatest AR innovation.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a common mistake. Sad part is it's a really good cartridge for an AR15 sized platform. It's basically a 300 Savage in performance. Remington should of had a winner on their hands but they managed to kill it off. They mishandled everything starting with the name.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-16-2020 at 05:22 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    Thank you for your help. The 7.5 Swiss cartridge suggestion is excellent guidance and I believe it will work nicely. M-Tecs has simplified my life.

Stock up while its still manufactured and lobby Starline to produce periodic lots.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
    Thank you for your help. The 7.5 Swiss cartridge suggestion is excellent guidance and I believe it will work nicely. M-Tecs has simplified my life.
    Keep us/me posted if you do form some from 7.5 x 55 Swiss boxer. My guess is they will have to be neck reamed or turned. Case volume comparisons will be interesting. It could be very possible that you will be the first to do this. The 30RAR was only made in small numbers and it's a safe bet none went to Switzerland. Not that many people reload for the 7.5 x Swiss and K-31 fans owning a 30 RAR are dare I say it "rare" or nonexistent.

Always wanted one but never warmed to only one source of brass for a cartridge Rem gave up supporting.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned

I too am in the would have been should have been group. It to me is what I really wanted when I went with 300 blackouts. I really don't care about subsonic and more wanted a handy rifle I could kill deer with and shoot cheap with pc coated cast bullets. Ive killed a few deer with the BO. It does ok but id sure like the extra umph a 30 rem would bring to the table. I have to agree the rem dropped the ball on this one. Maybe if it would have been given a more flashy name. I think to many that don't know any better thought they were just bringing back the old obsolete 30 rem and didn't want to take a chance on ammo going away. 300 wipe out or thunderbolt or exterminator would have at least made it popular with the mall ninjas!!! dirty crime though. Hands down the best round ever factory chambered in an ar to make it a real hunting rifle

Boolit Man
    I have obtained a small quantity of 7.5X55 Swiss and reformed them to 30 RAR. I am awaiting the neck reamers but I believe this will work really well. These look good but the neck walls must be reamed. I will post as I get the materials I need to make this work. Going by the information on the 7.5x55 Swiss shooters forum, I feel confident that the 450 bushmaster and even the 284 Win can be reformed and made to work for this cartridge. Can't wait to get my hands on the tools and some more brass (450 BM and 284 Win) The rim size really was a concern but the 7.5x55 shooters say the 284 Win works without ANY problems. The 7.5x55 Swiss case head is actually .002 larger than the 30 RAR. Can't wait til I try!

Boolit Grand Master

Dang I may just have to get one. I have never touched one but I have read you need a proprietary magazine. Is that true?

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banner Sponsor

The magazines are made to feed from the left side only. At least that's what Doc44 tells me about his. I've wondered if the 450 Bushmaster case would work.
    I'm wondering if Rem let it slip away quietly because of the pressure it runs at? Is it too much for an AR 15 sized bolt?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    The magazines are made to feed from the left side only. At least that's what Doc44 tells me about his. I've wondered if the 450 Bushmaster case would work.
    I'm wondering if Rem let it slip away quietly because of the pressure it runs at? Is it too much for an AR 15 sized bolt?
    I have never owned or fired one but my understanding is it uses the AR10 sized bolt.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...r_200905/99243

The R-25 bolt-carrier group (top) is substantially larger and heavier than the R-15 .30 RAR unit (middle) and the standard AR-15 group (below).
    They started with the bolt. Scrapping the standard AR bolt, they opted for the R-25 bolt, shortening it, reducing its body diameter, and contouring it to operate within the standard R-15 bolt carrier. They developed a dogleg-shaped extractor to follow the contour of the reduced diameter of the body to the full-size bolt head. The plunger-style ejector is slightly beveled and 0.185 inch in diameter, 0.035 inch larger than the standard R-25 ejector.

Because the magazines used are essentially GI mags modified into a single-stack configuration, the bottom two lugs of the bolt are beveled to facilitate feeding.

With a lug-to-lug outside diameter of 0.89 inch, there was no getting around the use of an R-25 barrel extension. A single feedramp is milled at the 6 o'clock position of the barrel extension to facilitate feeding from the 4-round single-stack magazine.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    I cover how to make 30 Remington AR from 450 Bushmaster brass which i call 300AR on this thread.

https://www.msrhunt.com/post/what-yo...pid=1312584781

Banner Sponsor

Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum.
    That was a nicely written, very clear and informative post.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Hi Bob, and welcome to the forum.
    That was a nicely written, very clear and informative post.
    Thanks the cases made from 450 Bushmaster will feed and load just fine in a 30RAR. I call them 300AR but the case rim is the only difference. I have not tried the Hornady brass just the Starline brass.