MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 44 cal. #2 Remington rolling block

Boolit Master

Thanks, it's on my shelf!

Boolit Master

I took the .44 rimfire/centerfire #2 rolling block to the range today. This was the first time out with bullets from the new Old West bullet mold. Accuracy was nothing to brag about. But its a good start. I made a short video of the fun.

https://youtu.be/f939OJjyNtQ

I watched your video and see something you may not be aware of. You are resting the barrel on your front rest. Even a 22 short has barrel harmonics and will shoot inconsistent when anything touch’s the barrel. Try shooting it off the forend and see if it does not shoot better groups.
    I have seen people shoot their long barreled heavy rifles off shooting sticks by resting the barrel on the crossed sticks but unless you you can duplicate the same point and pressure every shot the barrel will vibrate differently.
    Good work and nice video !

Jedman

Boolit Master

Good point. I was focusing more on doing the video than proper shooting technique. It actually shoots much better than this when I do my part.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Good point. I was focusing more on doing the video than proper shooting technique. It actually shoots much better than this when I do my part.
    That's the truth with just about anything.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Were you bothered by that little poof of gas out the back?

I have a cobbled-together #2 in .38RF that I shot one session (so far) with the Dixie rimfire adaptors, empty .22 shorts for primers, BP and the Ideal 37583 breech-seated.

I was wearing safety glasses with side shields, but I found the occasional hot particle on my cheek or forehead didn’t help the holding much. The Dixie adaptor rims didn’t last very long either. The thin brass got battered and twisted up after 10 shots or less.
    Last edited by Bent Ramrod; 06-15-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Boolit Master

That is blowby from the case mouth. The cut down 41 mag brass I use is a bit thick at the mouth. I probably should anneal them again. Do you still have that #2 in 38 rimfire? I'd be interested in the details. Bore/groove diameter, chamber length etc. I've had my eye out for one. I have other #2s in 32 cal, but not a 38.

Boolit Master
    My .38 was a barreled action when I found it. Got a mostly shaped and inletted stock from Shuttleworth for it and married a crescent buttplate onto it.

The barrel is longer than my .22 and .32 RF #2s, the rifling is very good, but the chamber had a nasty gouge in it that I had to make a tool and iron out. The Dixie cases extracted well, but something of higher pressure might still stick. I’ve been pondering reaming it out for a shortened and blown-straight .30-30 case to make an “inside lubed” version, and converting to centerfire.

Haven’t done any measurements on it. It’s in the back of the safe, awaiting the next round of “Waltzing Matilda.” A lot of troublemakers of one sort or another in the queue ahead of it.

Boolit Master

Ok, sounds like a fun project.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123