MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One LEE boolit I will no long PC

Boolit Buddy

One LEE cast boolit I will no longer PC

I have cast and loaded the LEE 124-2R using a 6 holer for years. It really cranks them out. With the old lube sizer, I never had an issue with them either using the barrel plunk or case guage. I've PC'd a batch now, and don't really need them for a while, had everything for '20 (conventional lube/size stuff), but with time on my hands was tinkering around today and just put some in some empty sized cases. Not a dang one would drop in the guage. It looks like the 2R part now has gained enough OD to interfere with chambering.

It just so happens I don't have my 92FS here now to check the plunk part, but what the heck is going on? I also cast and PC the LEE 452-2R, and have PC'd them and they guage and shoot fine. The difference I see here is the 45 boolit is the TL design and allows a little step down in OD from the case mouth with those TL grooves. The 9mm is the tiny little lube groove style, not TL, so the ogive is slightly less forgiving ahead of the case mouth.

The mould I had always used previous to this LEE mould was a Saeco 384, it also has a small ledge/shelf (for lack of a better term) ahead of the driving band, and it drops in a guage with no problems. Looks like I'll be going back to that boolit, the LEE just ain't gonna work for me, unless someone has some suggestions of what I might be doing wrong.

I'm seating it out about 1.12 OAL, gotta go a lot deeper before it drops in guage, a LOT.
    Last edited by la5676; 04-16-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: trying to fix title line, but can't

Boolit Master

I had the same problem with the Lee 125 gr RF in my 9mm Glock. PC'ed the boolits, and the diameter of the ogive increased. The boolit was a tight fit in the chamber/throat area, when seated to the crimp groove, even after sizing. I would have to seat the boolit much deeper to chamber in the Glock after PC ing, something I do not want to do.

Without PC, and using conventional lube/sizing, the boolit chambers fine.

I have had it happen with a few other calibers when PC'ed vs. regular lubing and sizing. Depends on the throat/chamber dimensions, boolit design and sizing diameters.

As the saying goes, "It is what it is!"
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I experienced the same with a similar designed 9mm boolit. Kept seating deeper until problem was gone and they still function well. I shoot Springfield XDMs. You might back-off the charge a bit if you are on the top side of the chart.
    Last edited by remy3424; 04-16-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I experienced the same with a similar designed 9mm boolit. Kept seating deeper until problem was gone and they still function well. I shoot Springfield XMs. You might back-off the charge a bit if you are on the top side of the chart.
    I am certainly not at the top of the powder load chart, barely over midway maybe. I'll try to post pic of my solution, and you can see me inference of that step/shoulder I'm talking about that gives just enough relief into the throat after PC added. I've used this mold for years, but just enjoyed the mass production of the LEE 6 banger, and the ability to cool it on a wet towel and keep pouring, unlike a steel mould.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72939.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	260431

as opposed to this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90457.jpg 
Views:	1042 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	260432

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Yup seat deeper or go to the tumble lube version tl356-124-2r.

I had this problem with the 452-200-rf. Except shortening the oal gave me feeding issues. I went to the tl452-230-2r. Back to happy.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, here's something that has me scratching my head. The color that gave me the grief in the case guage was Ford blue. I had previously coated some of these LEE boolits in HF black, my first PC attempts with locally obtained PC. The HF black doesn't stick well at all, and took three coats to get coverage I liked, but they all drop easily in the case guage. What in the sam hill is the difference? I really disliked the HF black, but I have a boatload of these LEE 125 2R boolits cast up in the recent down time, and I really don't want to get out the old 450 lubesizer. I may go get a pound of HF black again.

Blue seems to go on thick, might try smoke's red, goes on thinner. Or try HiTek.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Blue seems to go on thick, might try smoke's red, goes on thinner. Or try HiTek.
    I will try the red, HiTek looks like too much work for me. I'm a simpelton.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    I will try the red, HiTek looks like too much work for me. I'm a simpelton.

Thanks

Once you understand how it works and follow a couple of simple rules it's not that hard. For me, PC seems like too much messing around, I like being able to swirl coat the stuff and just dump them on a tray, no sorting or standing up, and it lends itself to doing large bulk batches (can you use a cement mixer to coat with PC?). Unlike PC, the thickness of the Hi-Tek coating is minimal.

To each his own, as they say.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a piece of Solar Screen leftover from making Screen Doors. I don't use BB's. I just swirl then dump the bullets and powder onto the screen and pick up the ends and rock it back and forth a couple times to allow the powder to drop through. I get a nice thin, even coat with no buggers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post

Once you understand how it works and follow a couple of simple rules it's not that hard. For me, PC seems like too much messing around, I like being able to swirl coat the stuff and just dump them on a tray, no sorting or standing up, and it lends itself to doing large bulk batches (can you use a cement mixer to coat with PC?). Unlike PC, the thickness of the Hi-Tek coating is minimal.

I may give that a try on this design boolit. I know the HiTek is thinner coat.

I'll go peruse the HiTek threads some more now, what else is there to do.

Boolit Master
    following as these are new to me calibers that I am about to purchase molds for...and now that I have some time may even attempt the PC thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post

thats all i do for my powder coat is swirl and dump.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    thats all i do for my powder coat is swirl and dump.
    Fair enough. I haven't read all the threads about PC'ing, of course, as I've found Hi-Tek to be more than adequate for my needs, but all that I read before waffled on about picking out the boolits and standing them on end!! No need with Hi-Tek, just swirl, dump, dry and bake, all without having to touch them.

Bottom line is both PC and Hi-Tek work, it's just up to the individual as to which method they prefer.

Banned

Most of the threads that are sticky's are from when this all started. That is the info you were reading. Most of it is outdated and useless. Especially the harbor frieght powders and how to use them.

Boolit Bub
    I have about decided most of the Lee bullet designs leave a lot to be desired. I’ve had the same issue you’re having with the .356 125, the .452 228 grain RN, the .401 175 grain TC, and I’m sure I’m missing some.

I switched back to the tumble lube 230 grain RN mold in the .45 acp, and while they feed and no longer stick in the chamber, the entire ogive is inside the case mouth to get the OAL correct for a 1911.

Boolit Grand Master

Modern 9mm Luger barrels have little or no throat ... they go from chamber into rifling and that's where the problem is .
    I have a WWII era Walther P-38 with at least 1/4" of throat before the rifling and it will chamber anything , including the Lee 124 - 2R but newer handguns , especially compact sized ...
    It's a no go with that boolit and powder coating just makes it worse .
    The Truncated Cone designs worked better for me along with standard lube / sizing .
    Having the barrel throated is another option also .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Modern 9mm Luger barrels have little or no throat ... they go from chamber into rifling and that's where the problem is .
    I have a WWII era Walther P-38 with at least 1/4" of throat before the rifling and it will chamber anything , including the Lee 124 - 2R but newer handguns , especially compact sized ...
    It's a no go with that boolit and powder coating just makes it worse .
    The Truncated Cone designs worked better for me along with standard lube / sizing .
    Having the barrel throated is another option also .
    Gary
    My old man used to have a beretta 92, and I wonder if that thing had any rifling. It would chamber ANYTHING.

Boolit Master
    there is a reason people have their barrels throated.....just sayin'

Very interesting thread guys!
    Lots of good info here for newcomers wanting to choose a good boolit and PC it for 9mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast