RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Spigot for lead pot

Boolit Buddy

Spigot for lead pot

I have a few cannonball and other large capacity molds. I want to build a pot with large capacity flow. Is there a spigot I can use that can take the temperature?

Boolit Master
    I have poured a few 8 lb downrigger balls and used a rowell ladle.

I would think any brass plumbing fixture would work but keeping it running might be an issue.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I have poured a few 8 lb downrigger balls and used a rowell ladle.
    The 8lb is not bad. The heaviest mold I have is 25 pounds, which I'm not even going to try without something with a good amount of flow.

Boolit Grand Master

A simple gravity flow valve can be made from hardware store black iron plumping parts, and cold rolled steel you will need the following parts a 1 reducer tee 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/2 Or a 3/4 tee and a 1/2" bushing. 2 3/4" nipples. 1 1/2" x 2" nipple. Assemble this tight the bushing and the nipple in the tee are the spout and valve. The nipple in the top of the tee are the rods guide. The second tee a elbow and close nipple tie into the pot. use a counter sink thru the tee to cut the seat in the bushing and nipple end. Easiest is to use a lathe to cut the stem and 82* angle on the rod. With lapping compound work these surfaces together to get the seal required. A 3/4" flange on top of the nipple will allow a lever to be fitted to open and close. Make this lever on the long side as the leverage of the weight will aid the seal.

Off the shelf valves arnt really meant for this viscosity of material and the heat they may bind and work to slow to be useful.

The above valve should offer plenty of flow. Using an old 25 lb propane cylinder the valve hole is 3/4 NPT and will match the pipe.Keep the valve as close to the pot as possible and the top nipple needs to be 2-3" above the top of the pot. Depending on how you cut the tank it can hold up to 300 lbs of lead. A weed burner for heat and a solid heavy stand. A shield over the valve may help it also. This type set up will require some welding skills and fitting. I believe the heat from the burner on the pope and radiant heat will aid the low of the valve also.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A simple gravity flow valve can be made from hardware store black iron plumping parts, and cold rolled steel you will need the following parts a 1 reducer tee 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/2 Or a 3/4 tee and a 1/2" bushing. 2 3/4" nipples. 1 1/2" x 2" nipple. Assemble this tight the bushing and the nipple in the tee are the spout and valve. The nipple in the top of the tee are the rods guide. The second tee a elbow and close nipple tie into the pot. use a counter sink thru the tee to cut the seat in the bushing and nipple end. Easiest is to use a lathe to cut the stem and 82* angle on the rod. With lapping compound work these surfaces together to get the seal required. A 3/4" flange on top of the nipple will allow a lever to be fitted to open and close. Make this lever on the long side as the leverage of the weight will aid the seal.

Off the shelf valves arnt really meant for this viscosity of material and the heat they may bind and work to slow to be useful.

The above valve should offer plenty of flow. Using an old 25 lb propane cylinder the valve hole is 3/4 NPT and will match the pipe.Keep the valve as close to the pot as possible and the top nipple needs to be 2-3" above the top of the pot. Depending on how you cut the tank it can hold up to 300 lbs of lead. A weed burner for heat and a solid heavy stand. A shield over the valve may help it also. This type set up will require some welding skills and fitting. I believe the heat from the burner on the pope and radiant heat will aid the low of the valve also.
    Is there a picture for this setup?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    Is there a picture for this setup?
    I built something similar to this. I was following an old post here during the build but can't find it now. I'll, take some pics tomorrow.

Banned
    I've seen people use an oversized version of what normal-sized pots have.

they use 1/2 inch pipe with a 3/4 round stock ground to a point then polished to fit in the 90° elbow in the bottom of a pot. raise the 3/4 round stock and get a large flow.