Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just moved new bench need ideas

Just moved new bench need ideas

So we just moved and I’m wondering how I’m going to mount things on my bench. I went from 14’ of bench space down to about 8 and a room 1/4 the size. I previously had all my presses mounted on the bench with space for the case trimmer lube sizer casting pot etc. I’d like to find or build a option where I could mount 2 presses or press and a tool in a manner that doesn’t take a hour to move everything around. I thought about individual plates for each tool to mount to with 1-2 counter plates bolted to the bench so I could interchange tools as needed. But I recall some T slot setups as well. None of this stuff has the same bolt pattern. What are your thoughts and ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I had a similar situation coming in from the garage. I sold some presses, so the point is moot with the two remaining affixed full time. If I still had the other presses, I would use the Inline Fabrication Quick Change system.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Make a master plate with the bolt holes for the various presses and other tools Then place plate on bench and drill holes completely through the bench. If bolt holes overlap position the offending tool around so that they do not overlap. To save on confusion. Steel stamps used to ID the holes. And I would use a piece of 3/8" steel plate. And belt sand down or round over all the edges to prevent you getting snagged by sharp edges or corners. I have a couple of the old secretary typerighter roll around tables that have a lever you flip to lower or raise the table off the wheels or lower them to the floor. 3/8" thick steel plate cut to size and drilled through the edges and through the top of the tables. Drill press is on one and my home made polisher/buffer on the other. After the first skin/steel plate contact, the belt sander nicely rounded off all the edges. Frank

On mine, I drilled all the way through the table and use bolts.
    Depending on the top, you may need a large plate underneath the table to spread out the forces from sizing.

Depending on what ya got, some of the various presses may use the same holes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My bench has 1/4x20 threaded brass inserts set into it. All of my reloading tools are mounted on either 1/2” steel or 1/2” aircraft plywood (hobby plywood would work just as well) and all the plates have identical hole patterns. The mounting bolts are socket head capscrews and a T handled hex wrench is kept handy to remove/install the fasteners. It takes maybe half a minute to swap tools.

Having used this system for over 10 years I think 3/8” steel and plywood would be completely adequate. The toughest operation I’ve done was sizing .50 S&W. That takes lots of force.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    My bench has 1/4x20 threaded brass inserts set into it. All of my reloading tools are mounted on either 1/2” steel or 1/2” aircraft plywood (hobby plywood would work just as well) and all the plates have identical hole patterns. The mounting bolts are socket head capscrews and a T handled hex wrench is kept handy to remove/install the fasteners. It takes maybe half a minute to swap tools.

Having used this system for over 10 years I think 3/8” steel and plywood would be completely adequate. The toughest operation I’ve done was sizing .50 S&W. That takes lots of force.
    Wow, great solution...I will remember that for when I need to upgrade my bench.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not bolt any of my presses directly to the bench. They are mounted with bolts to one end of a piece of 2x6 that is at least the width of my bench. The 2x6 is either clamped to the bench at the opposite end to the press, or in my case, wedged under a piece of 2x4 screwed to the wall. My bench is fixed to the wall. Most of the time,I don't even bother clamping the press end to the bench. I can change out presses in all of 10 seconds.

A lot of great ideas here. Would love to see some pictures.

Boolit Master

I use the inline fabrication quick change system. have everything on the plates from brass cutters to presses and I have to mounts so I can mix and match as needed.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I like this!

I have been contemplating an upgrade to my bench. Mostly been thinking along the lines of the t-rail system. I like being able to position where ever the t-track would allow me to set up.

Also the track system allows placement of more tools at once.

You can place a press where you want it, a case trimmer, bench primer, bench mounted pocket swagger .... any sort of combination down at the same time if desired.

Flexible!

The downside is that you have a slot in your bench for stuff to accumulate. An air compressor, blow gun and pull a “Caddy Shack” house cleaning I suppose?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrArBB2wws0

Decisions!

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-14-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I used these ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-...3560/301505467 ) screwed in a 10" x 10" square pattern. Then you mount your presses onto corresponding 10"x10"x 3/4" plywood. Drop your fastening bolts through and tighten it down. Takes just a few minutes to change out your presses.

If you are going to use 3/8" steel plates make them slide into notches you build into you top. There may be bench plans on this site from years back. I have about 6 ft. My bench is built in with drawers underneath so I use a 2 by 12 that sticks out over the bench, it has 1 big bolt back next to the wall. I rounded the back I'd the 2 x 12 so it will swing a bit so I can use the drawers. I have a Lyman black orange crusher and a simple Lee C press mounter side by side on the 2 x 12. Sounds complicated but is very simple. I use both presses loading cast boolits. I flair the necks and use a Lee crimp die in the Lee C press. Open access to the front is a plus for simple jobs.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

I made a t slot type mounts for presses and tools. I have 3 on my current bench inletted into the top. Easy to make with just a drill press. slide press or tool in and clamp with 3 flat head bolts. This has worked well for me and is quick simple and solid.

Materials needed: Are all cold rolled steel
    1 pcs 1/4" X 6" X 8"
    2 pcs 1/4" X 1" X 8" These 3 make one clamp
    2 pcs 1/4" X 1 1/2" X 8"

1 pcs 1/4" X 4" X 8" This is the slide in insert.

6 ea 1/4 so flat head allen screws 3/4" long

6 ea 1/4" 20 flat head allen screws long enough to bolt to bench top.

Tools required:
    Adjustable combination square, center punch, small hammer, Scribe, drill press, letter f drill, number 7 drill, 1/4 20 tap, tap handle. file, hack saw, counter sink, a couple small c-clamps are handy also. Lay out ink.

Step by Step: set square to 1/2" and scribe down one edge of the clamps parts. Equally space from ends and center of parts.
    Center punch holes
    here you can clamp the 6" 1" and 1 1/2" together
    drill number 7 holes thru. on both sides
    Un clamp and open hiles in 1" and 1 1/2" to letter f size
    tap the 6 holes in the 6" plate to 1/4 20
    Lay out and drill the mounting holes in the base plate and counter sink. counter sink the holes in the top of the 1 1/2"
    The stack up is 6" base 1" rail and 1 1/2" clamp plate.
    Lightly draw file the 1/4" X 1" X 8" thinning it by .005 - .010. This allows the covers to clamp on the mounting plate.
    Assemble in above order. You now have a t slot that the mount plate slides in and clamps lock down.
    I have one on each end of my bench and one centered. Bolt presses and tools to 1/4" X 4" X 8" smaller tools can be mounted 2 to a base. mine are inletted into the bench top but can set on top.
    Once a tool is slid in it stays and both hands can be used to tighten the clamp screws.

Boolit Master

Great explanation, I do it about the same, a common steel plate bolted under every press and three 5/16 T-nuts under the bench with 3 thread-all studs permenately mounted up thru the bench.
    The plates are kitty-cornered (see pics) to get the 3rd bolt further away from the bench edge to combat press "rocking".
    There are commercially available plate systems available to do this, some are risers (Inline Fab), some bolt directly to the bench (Lee).
    Either way it keeps the bench top free of multiple hole patterns.
    With only one press on my bench and all others mounted on a nearby shelf with hand knob "nuts" securing them.
    The plates 6x6x1/4" with corner holes $4 each(I used 1/4x20 T-nuts for press to plate):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	260313
    Plate under/bolted to press:

Name:	Small1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	260321
    Plates/press on bench(I used coupling nuts for plate to bench+ press risers):

Name:	PressRisers.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	260318
    Shelf where presses are stored:

Name:	PStorageS.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	260319
    My loading "room" is an under the stairs closet.
    works for me,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 04-14-2020 at 11:11 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Replied to the thread on bolt sizes before opening this one. My reply there was similar to several of these. One thing I would add, a standardized base plate could have a riser added to adjust the height of the mounted tool.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Put your bed in the crummy little space you are looking at. You will then have the spacious bedroom for a reloading area. If your wife objects, you might use the living room for reloading and put the couch and TV in the crummy little 1/4 size room.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I only have 1 hard mounted press inside in the shared “hobby” room. All other tools (case trimmers sizers etc) are all screwed into wooden blocks clamped to the bench with C-clamps to keep maximum flexibility.

There are photos of benches and options over on the reloading section to look as

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ferrerid=44130

Boolit Master
    If you have a press that you use for pistol / light duty type work you can mount it on a portable stand and just move it out the way when not needed . The 4 presses I use the most are all on portable stands 2 are on 1 stand.

Boolit Master
    I reloaded on a home made portable stand for 35 years. Did not harm me one iota!

I still have and use the stand in-spite of my reloading island because in nice weather I get bored sitting inside doing resizing or case prep so I take my RCBS Jr. where I want it, wherever that maybe!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Man
    Inline Fabrication quick change system. I use it to swap back and forth between my RCBS RCII and Pro 2000, takes like 1 minute to swap the presses out.