WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: What is in my lead?

Boolit Bub

What is in my lead?

Hi- got some lead gaskets from sewer pipes in an old school tear down - I have been using it for over a year with no problem. Yesterday I was melting some to clean it up, and I kept getting this yellow gold flakey stuff ( a lot of) I kept skimming it off and fluxing but it kept on coming. I worked at it about an hour with no end in sight. So I poured it out and let it cool.I noticed after it cooled it had a blue color to the lead only on the side that was poured out last. Any idea as to what it is and how to clean the lead.Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Those colors are common to pure lead thats maybe heated a little too hot. It will show up on both the melted lead and on the ingot.

Boolit Master

Sounds like it was lead with tin. Did the melt get hotter than usual? Tin oxidizes out as a yellow gold oxide.

Boolit Master

Over heated pure lead. Those perfect pretty purplish blue ingots is what pure lead looks like. If it had anything else in it you would have had a crystalized finish on the ingot.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Sounds like the yellow goldish stuff is tin that cooked out, leaving you with pure lead. I try not to get over 750 degrees while smelting so as not to cook it out.
    The purplish color like others have said is pure lead.
    Rick

But some tin is a good thing. I wouldn't want to be "cooking" it out by turning the heat up.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Patience while heating the cauldron.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have got the gold and purple colors but I use a pid to control my lead temps and never got over 704 according to the pid. Due to life issues it has been a few years since I last smelted or cast but when I last smelted and cast it was also my first time and my ingots as well as bullets looks great. Now its like something has changed. I get those colors in my melt both when using the pid and when going the old fashion way with a thermometer. I have tried higher temps, lower temps, and even fluxing more but those colors are still there. Also, when I smelt WW there always seems to be a little left that hardens like dross but I have fluxed and skimmed.