WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After the Resurrection - The next 40 days

Moderator Emeritus

Christ was crucified on Friday and laid in the grave that evening according to Jewish law. Then there was Saturday, without disturbance, and He arose on Sunday. So, we have Friday, Saturday and Sunday - 3 days. Nothing in the Bible says they were all 24 hour days, and most folks would count Friday, and certainly Sunday, so ..... it's 3 days.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Blackwater;4884502]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I think that was obvious when I wrote what I did.

Uh-huh, you've never wondered why God allows such tragedies to occur where mass death occurs or things like that? I think most have.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not putting you down at all. Merely explaining the shortcomings contained within your question, or at least the way you worded it. You're asking the questions from YOUR view. But that view is self-protective and self-concerned. Christ has to think well beyond our individual desires sometimes, and when mass tragedies occur, it'll always be to TRY to teach us a lesson of some sort, such as how to build buildings stronger, how to better protect ourselves, etc. We humans are a pretty dull lot, oftentimes, who CAN work against our own selves, or maybe become so fixated on a goal that we pursue it to our own detriment. Surely you know examples of these type? We can, very simply, be foolish, neglectful, penurious, and all manner of other foibles we display. Christ on the other hand, KNOWS what He's doing, and He knows the consequences, and when He allows many to die in some tragedy, it's to teach us to be more alert, more caring, more focused on what's important, and all manner of other lessons we'd likely never learn if we didn't see dire consequences once in a while.

Questioning things brings about investigation into a better understanding.
    In forums like this it can generate a thought process that results in an exchange of views on the subject.

Yes, but asking GOOD questions requires lots of thought beforehand, and careful wording so that we don't create LESS understanding than when we began. Good questions edify. Lesser ones confuse us, often from indistinct language that makes one poster speak from one perspective and perception, and another speak from quite a different perspective and perception. Theology, of all subjects, requires of us more than we're sometimes willing or able to give it. That's why so much of it seems "mysterious." Often, we confuse ourselves by not stating our question more precisely, so that answers can be clear and understandable, rather than a hodge podge of half-understandings. We gain nothing by the later, but good questions and answers edify and teach and explain.

Again, please understand that I meant no disparagement whatsoever. When I think, I tend to think in coldly logical terms, and some sometimes find that offensive, whether it's meant that way or not. Believe me, if I should ever with to disparage someone, I can be pretty good at it, and they'd know exactly what I was intending, and nothing was intended in my post. Sorry you took it that way.

So, you have no opinion on the questions asked other than "Never question Him".
    Thanks for your...............input.

I believe if you'll look back, and read my post again, you'll find that I had a good bit to say other than "Never question Him." But that's up to you.
    Blackwater,
    No offense taken.
    I had wrote "Questioning things brings about investigation into a better understanding.
    In forums like this it can generate a thought process that results in an exchange of views on the subject."

And that sparked some good input from you.
    Thank you for your reply.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Christ was crucified on Friday and laid in the grave that evening according to Jewish law. Then there was Saturday, without disturbance, and He arose on Sunday. So, we have Friday, Saturday and Sunday - 3 days. Nothing in the Bible says they were all 24 hour days, and most folks would count Friday, and certainly Sunday, so ..... it's 3 days.
    Yes, that is how I remember it being said when I was taught in my youth.
    "....and on the third day He rose....."something like that. Friday, the first day Saturday the second day and He rose on the third day (Sunday).

However, (I can't remember who to give credit to) someone in the other thread about this topic gave a chapter/verse reference to Jesus stating that Like Jonah who was in the belly of the beast (whale) for three days and three nights, so would He be in the grave for three days and three nights.
    So-o-o-oo,...............?

It's an interesting thread.
    Maybe check it out or reread it.
    "What day did Jesus die" is the name of the thread, or something similar.

Boolit Mold
    Good points Ickisrulz.

I've thought at times the same thing the original poster wrote about. I've also wondered why God doesn't appear physically on the Earth today. Surely everyone would believe then, right? But then I'm reminded of the Exodus; the Israelites witnessed the awful plagues brought on Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, God's constant physical presence as a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night, but they STILL didn't believe, trust, and obey God's commandments. And I have no reason to believe that we'd be any better today.

Boolit Mold
    Bingo!

The unregenerate, or un-reborn, not only will not believe, they cannot, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast"

Boolit Master
    I recently was watching a prophecy program by Hal Lindsey. He explained the controversy over the days and nights. The Jewish day at that time, ran from 6pm to 6pm, and Good Friday was technically a Thursday. Also the Crucifixion was during the Passover period, which that particular one, had an additional sabbath day. It's a little confusing to me, but the specified days and nights, over the Crucifixion and Resurrection, do work out over that period.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuscombeFlyer View Post
    Good points Ickisrulz.

I've thought at times the same thing the original poster wrote about. I've also wondered why God doesn't appear physically on the Earth today. Surely everyone would believe then, right? But then I'm reminded of the Exodus; the Israelites witnessed the awful plagues brought on Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, God's constant physical presence as a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night, but they STILL didn't believe, trust, and obey God's commandments. And I have no reason to believe that we'd be any better today.

I don't think my belief would be stronger if God appeared but if along with his appearance some sort of communication was forthcoming it might change my behavior. That God exists seems obvious enough but how he prefers we act is debated. It might unify the worlds religions.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12