Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best scope mounts for a 336?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    In my 36+ years as a gunsmith, see thru rings are the absolute worst. I will only put on a weaver type base, or leupold, with good rings. I had a guy complaining about his 2x7 Leupold not staying zeroed on his 336, .35 Rem. I checked everything out, and his see thrus were tight. I put a bore sighter in the barrel, got ahold of the scope and applied pressure, 3 different times, and the cross hair ended up a different place on the grid every time, had him look thru the scope and same result. I put on a used set of Redfield bases and rings, problem solved. Gun went from a4" group at 100yds, to 1". Just my experience. I sold 2 gallon freezer bags full of see thru mounts I had removed over the years, cheap on here.
    Same for me but I don't sell them. I remove the screws or any parts that I might have a use for but the see thru part goes into the scrape metal bin. For flip-off they go eBay if they are they older style that some people tend to way over pay for. I got $150 for a Pachmayr Lo-Swing Scope Mount on eBay. I wouldn't give you $0.15 for it if I had to actually use it.

Most of the quality mounts that are designed to completely remove the scope tend to repeat well under 1 MOA if properly installed. They are a very workable option.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-14-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You guys are pushing me over the edge.

I did a couple of ladder tests years ago with my see throughs and a cheap tasco world class 3x9 mil dot optic. I have a 180 grain hot core hand load that shoots sub MOA consistently at 100 yards so I would assume my rings must be pretty sturdy. Maybe it will shoot tighter with a better optic and scope base. I’m leaning towards the DNZ one piece mount. The EGW picatinny rail is a close second. I’d use Warne rings with it if I go with the rail. I believe all mine are made out of steel.

I have some see throughs my dad bought new in 84’ mounted on my 7600 with a Leupold 3x9 vx11. I can shoot cloverleaves to a .4” group pretty consistently off the bench with it as well. What ever brands I bought must be stouter then most. Another set on a 35 remington carbine from 04’ that shoots sub MOA all day long as well. They probably haven’t taken a good hit yet to knock off the POA. Knock on wood.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-14-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    You guys are pushing me over the edge.

I did a couple of ladder tests years ago with my see throughs and a cheap tasco world class 3x9 mil dot optic. I have a 180 grain hot core hand load that shoots sub MOA consistently at 100 yards so I would assume my rings must be pretty sturdy. Maybe it will shoot tighter with a better optic and scope base. I’m leaning towards the DNZ one piece mount. The EGW picatinny rail is a close second. I’d use Warne rings with it if I go with the rail.
    Do the same test but take the palm of your hand and hit the scope. Do it a couple of times on the left side of the scope than shoot for the POI, repeat for the right and top. Some hold POI well. Last test on a solid bench and rest put some downward pressure on the scope to see if the POI is effected.

As long as the mounting system flex's consistently accuracy should not be an issue. The less solid the mounting system is the more likely and impact or pressure will change POI.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-14-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    I have Williams Ace-in the-Hole sights on my Marlin (manufactured in 1970), 336 35 Remington. I was out last week shooting some cast RD 190 grain using a 1.9 cc of Trail Boss and it was a real pleasure to shoot as well as very accurate. My other 336 is a 30-30 rebored by JES to 375 Winchester. He did a fine job and got it back to me for Ohio gun season. I worked up a satisfactory load and took a nice doe. The rifle had a 1-4 Bushnell scope with Weaver bases and Warne rings at the time. I've since put on a XS Ghost Ring with Picatinny Rail and found it to be very accurate with cast loads. Where I hunt in Ohio the shots are rarely over 60 yards, so I'm considering no scope on the 375 or perhaps a red dot.

Boolit Master
    See-through mounts will require a stock pad to get your eye in line with the scope if the only shot is a quick one. That's their disadvantage.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I still have to figure out a scope base. I’m still leaning towards the DNZ one piece scope mount and probably will end up with the Leupold 2x7 on it. While I’m still debating I mounted up one of my brand new $24.99, 2.5x10 tasco Mil dot varmint scopes I picked up for my air rifle and rimfires and tested some cast boolits through it. Looks kinda goofy(but I like it) and figured the extra magnification would help with group testing. Never shot cast through it before or in a bottleneck cartridge. The trigger was close to 5 pounds (I adjusted it to 2.25 pounds now). I shot a hair over sub MOA with two different loads with the lee and our group buy HP at 100 yards. The rings held up and never shifted. I just don’t like the looks of the see throughs.

I do have a bunch of extra rings laying around I’ll have to dig through. I think I have a set of medium Warne and leupold PRW rings. I could buy a EGW picatinny rail or a weaver one piece base to mount them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-10-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12