WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best scope mounts for a 336?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Best scope mounts for a 336?

I currently have on see throughs. I removed the cheap optic last year to to use on another rifle so now is the time to switch them out if I end up doing so. I have see throughs on a couple of 7600’s and over the decades they scored two deer for me. Once I dropped my gun in the snow and the other time my optic POA was knocked off and I hit low on a deer. I tracked it down a few hundred yards away. It fell through a pond. I missed by a god foot with my trusty 3x9 leupold vx11. I then dropped down to use my opens and hit my mark. So I have to admit the see throughs have earned their keep on my other rifles. It’s just that they look goofy. I always get used to them in time. I did install a DNZ game reaper one piece mount on my latest 7600 carbine in 35 whelen. I like it a lot and see they make them for the 336’s. I don’t want to remove my rear sight so if my optic would sit to low the DNZ out be ruled out. I would guess no bigger then a 42mm is going back on my gun. I have used EGW picatinny rails as well and like them.

Any suggestions on whether to ditch or keep my see throughs?

USMC 77, USRA 79

i have the old weaver pivot mount on my 49 336 and really love them.. i was suspect at first and my rifle gets trounced around a bunch... but they have held true for me Tripp...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

One upon a time, I had a set of the Weaver pivot mount/rings on a then-new (1967) .444 Marlin that whaled the stuffing's out of my eyebrow when I shot it with the scope pivoted out to the left for an iron sight shot.

It turned out that my off eyebrow was much more forward towards the mule than my sighting eye was, making it close enough to the pivoted scope for a bloody sight picture.

After that, I decided that if I wanted to use the iron sights on a scoped rifle, I'd rather QD remove the scope out of the way ILO pivoting it.

I agree that the see-through mounts/rings look goofy, and so vote for a rail - and switch the rear open/iron sight out for a folder, like the Marble's, to clear the scope objective bell.

The folders are made in both a longleaf version and a smaller type

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Talley is the best, Leupold 2nd. Amazon has them all.

Boolit Grand Master
    I missed a shot at 275 yards when my cheap Nikon got knocked after a fall. My solution was to get a better scope. No irons sights on my hunting rifles anyway.
    Don Verna

An inexpensive Weaver base and Weaver low rings work very nicely with a straight-tube scope, like a Leupold Ultralight.

I have this setup, and it is a delight to carry, a delight to shoot, and deadly on deer and hogs.

Weaver one piece is simple and cheap. Leupold makes one piece for their rings too. Weaver is aluminum and Leupold is steel. One or the other is only thing I would put on my rifles. I have them for my Marlins and had them for Rem 742. Now only Rem I have them on is 870 slug gun. I think same base as 742/760. Hasn’t been off the gun since new in 1966. Running Weaver K3 in low rings. It was just tuned a click or two over same time period. One piece bases and straight power scopes, don’t get better.

This is the one in thinking of...

https://youtu.be/5p2kvgiQbpE

I have one on my savage 220 slug gun and its pretty nice.

I don’t know if my 1970 factory rear sight blade folds down or not.

Check out the Ranger Point Precision Rhino Rail.

I’ve never put larger than a 32 mm objective lens on a lever action. If you must have a variable, 2x7 will give plenty of magnification. On my last Marin I used a Weaver K4F post in Weaver low rings. The one piece base is low enough to see the irons with the scope removed. Personally I detest see thru rings.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up the Williams combo rail sight; Ace in the Hole. #70975 for the Marlin 336/444/1895 w/ front sight too.
    Have a couple on a 375 & a 336 and a couple that I adapted to Ithaca 37s using the Mossberg model (drilled Ithaca's to Mossberg pattern).
    Gives you both a peep sight and a Weaver type rail.
    Optics Planet sells them. Or on e-bay all the time.

I do have a leupold vx1 2x7 sitting on my Ruger 44 carbine that doesn’t get much use that I might borrow to put on it. I’d rather have a red dot or opens on that 44 carbine anyways. Figured the 2x7 would look nice with the DNZ mount. I also bought a couple of cheap tasco 2.5x10 42mm target varminter mildot optics’s for dirt cheap. I originally picked them up for an air rifle and a couple of rimfires but I might mount one up to do some load testing on my 336 first. Forgot I put a DNZ mount on my 7600 35 whelen carbine as well.

Boolit Master
    All of them here have Leupold mount with VX 2-7x33's. Center scope, get really close with big screws and tweak in with knobs.

Banned
    I wanted a Weaver pivot mount on my Marlin 1894CS. I wanted the ability to swing the scope out of the way and use my rear buckhorn sights. But the mount that I found was too long and it hit the rear sight.

So I cut off 3/4" of the rear of the mount, redrilled the two rear holes and that is what I use.

I have a Leupold 1-4X Freedom scope on it.

So far it is rock solid and returns to zero.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I put an XS Sight Systems scout mount on my Glenfield. Got a Burris scout scope on it. For the kind of ranges you use a 30-30 for it's perfect.

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 1895 45-70 has a Leupold 1-4X heavy cross hair slug gun scope in an old Weaver pivot mount. I also had the little brass front sight bead replaced with a Trijicon tritium glow-in-the-dark bead. It's kind of a specialty black bear gun.

I had a tritium sight installed in my shotgun bead about 15 years ago for low to no light predator hunting. It’s pretty slick. I’ll have to see if it still glows.

Boolit Master
    In my 36+ years as a gunsmith, see thru rings are the absolute worst. I will only put on a weaver type base, or leupold, with good rings. I had a guy complaining about his 2x7 Leupold not staying zeroed on his 336, .35 Rem. I checked everything out, and his see thrus were tight. I put a bore sighter in the barrel, got ahold of the scope and applied pressure, 3 different times, and the cross hair ended up a different place on the grid every time, had him look thru the scope and same result. I put on a used set of Redfield bases and rings, problem solved. Gun went from a4" group at 100yds, to 1". Just my experience. I sold 2 gallon freezer bags full of see thru mounts I had removed over the years, cheap on here.

Boolit Master

Angry

See through rings allow using the scope tube as a carrying handle. That is the only application they are good for.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I had the see through rings on my 30-30 at one time, and found them to be more trouble than they were worth. Mine were aluminum, and when I finally decided to not use them anymore, I tested their strength. I could easily bend them with my bare hands. Right then I knew that those rings were almost always a problem.
    If yours are steel, and are strong enough to take the knocking around and still hold zero, use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast