Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin in 35 Rem

Mine is 1953.
    Recently had put together some FFg test loads, lube cookies and all.
    Then the bat bug closed the local ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Just another's opinion.
    25_30_32_35s Rems never got their due. {John Browning/ Remington creations.} All those cartridges were designed to steal away Winchester 94s market place popularity without infringing on Patent Rights. I'll bet Mr. Browning never got over that covert fiasco.
    When comparing ballistic stats: 32 Special marginally betters that of the 35's in all 100 yard category's.

25 Rem_/_25-35 win__32 Rem_/_32 Special
    30 Rem_/_30-30 win__35 Rem_/_38-55 win
    I agree. The Remington cartridges mentioned also worked better in other repeaters which was what they were designed for. However as time went on no one wanted "weak" cartridges like them.

DEP

Boolit Master
    However as time went on no one wanted "weak" cartridges like them.
    I don't think it was the Rem cartridges that disappointed. I do believe the Model 8's weight: 8-lb plus and unusual mechanical operation killed some sportsmen enthusiasm to own. Again the Rem model 14 pump marketed 3 yrs later was a quarter pound less in weight than the 8 but the 14's barrel length of 24" was again a huge disappointment at that time~ so I think.

Some of the gun WRITERS of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s would try to convince us that we needed so much power and flat shooting cartridges. Some of us have bought into that. Nothing wrong with the Remington cartridges and to those that have hunted long and hard, a fast follow up shot is appreciated, just in case. No amount of pulp will negate the performance of a 35 caliber, 200 gr. bullet at 2000 FPS and what it does to whatever it contacts.

There were quite a few old Remington 8's for sale locally a few years ago but none now. Seem to be either loved or hated. While not the best, rimmed cartridges can be adapted to other actions. The 25-35 and 25 Remington are pretty much gone now. Saw a 32 Special for sale on Midway in the new Winchester 94's they offer at a healthy price. 38-55 does not want to die off and I see several re-bores to that cartridge on the MO site.

Mostly it is the brain washing we received. Read Cartridges of the World and every thing is "better" than the 30-30, mainly because it is more powerful. Power does not make anything better as adequate is adequate. 300 Savage was a good old cartridge and my daughter has one and has taken lots of deer with it. It is a good cartridge for her, does no beller like a "better" cartridge and kills deer within the ranges she shoots. I had a coupel of them and it was a good deer cartridge.

DEP

Boolit Man
    On the subject of power it is a good thing that our fore fathers didn't know they were under gunned or they would have had nothing but vegetables to eat. My experience with muzzle loaders is that they are quite effective within their limits- you have to spot and stalk instead of blase away-in other words learn to HUNT.

Boolit Master
    What he said^ is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    There were quite a few old Remington 8's for sale locally a few years ago but none now. Seem to be either loved or hated. While not the best, rimmed cartridges can be adapted to other actions. The 25-35 and 25 Remington are pretty much gone now. Saw a 32 Special for sale on Midway in the new Winchester 94's they offer at a healthy price. 38-55 does not want to die off and I see several re-bores to that cartridge on the MO site.

Mostly it is the brain washing we received. Read Cartridges of the World and every thing is "better" than the 30-30, mainly because it is more powerful. Power does not make anything better as adequate is adequate. 300 Savage was a good old cartridge and my daughter has one and has taken lots of deer with it. It is a good cartridge for her, does no beller like a "better" cartridge and kills deer within the ranges she shoots. I had a coupel of them and it was a good deer cartridge.

DEP
    Got my first deer in 1970 with a 300 Savage 99. Dad's "Ol' Never Miss". It was over kill.

My first deer rifle was a Rem 8/35cal when I was a kid. At the time there were a lot of classic rifles in used racks cheap. People started having extra money and were upgrading to new rifles. The latest and greatest. I was no different. In 60s all I did was lust after the new rifles and cartridges. I was in my 20s before I figured out that the LV cartridges were better for woods hunting deer.
    I’ve shot many deer and I feel left out because my furthest shot was 250yds with a scoped bolt action 308. I keep reading posts on 200 & 300 yd kills with 30/30-35Rem class cartridges. My personal best with these class rifles is 125-150yds. I have made some stupid shots with all sorts of rifles but they were flukes, not the norm.
    When you get out 200yds + then the HV rifles are an advantage.

Boolit Mold
    I recently took out my Grandpa's 336 in 35Rem, that I inherited, out hog hunting in South Texas; it was extremely effective with Leverevolution and joy to hunt with. Really glad I have it. On the way down to the place, I called a Cabelas ahead of stopping there to see if they had any 35Rem in stock, which they did. The young gentleman on the phone said he had never heard of that round haha

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2422.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	261809 got one with is old tire biter last fall!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Bub
    Love my Marlin in .35 Rem. I love all my lever guns though so no surprise.

Boolit Man
    The 35 is an excellent deer/elk cartridge out to 200 yards. I shoot a home cast RCBS 200 RNFP gas checked at about 2k FPS in a 336 Texan and a 336 RC. I have never lost an animal when using the 35. A couple took a follow up shot, but that is reason for a lever gun, quick follow up shots.
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    I don't think it was the Rem cartridges that disappointed. I do believe the Model 8's weight: 8-lb plus and unusual mechanical operation killed some sportsmen enthusiasm to own. Again the Rem model 14 pump marketed 3 yrs later was a quarter pound less in weight than the 8 but the 14's barrel length of 24" was again a huge disappointment at that time~ so I think.
    Only reason I sold the .35 semi-auto was because of the right eyed scope mount. Never could get comfortable with it. It was a wheel weight chunking son of a gun though.

Boolit Bub
    My 1951 336 is 35 Rem is a great shooter. Wish it were easier to find the 200 gr. Cor Lokt's to reload.

I have my old Dad's 336 in .35 Rem. First rifle I ever cast for, and it taught me a lot. It will be the last hunting rifle I ever let go of, should penury strike me again before I die. Dad hunted Maine and New Hampsha, using 200 grain 358315 bullets and 3031 powder, and as far as I know he never lost a deer once he'd hit it.

When the .35 was first developed, they chose the same base diameter as the .30 Gov., (.30-40), which was by no means as obsolete then as it is now. A bigger base would have forced them to redesign the rifles for a heavier barrel and receiver. Remember that all the other cartridges in the series had the .30-30 base diameter.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    i got my first 35 rem in the early 70's. it was used when i got it. i have shot many deer with it over the years. come to think about it the marlin 336 is the only rifle i use for deer hunting. easy to carry and will do the job with a 200 gr bullet out to 200 meters.

Boolit Master
    In my callow youth I read the magazine hunting articles by Elmer Keith, Francis Sell and Jack O'Conner. I was born in the deep woods and swamps of the Florida panhandle. O'Conner and his guided hunts were interesting but Sell and Keith were my kind of solo hunters so their observations made more sense to me. Sell sold me on the 336/.35 w/200 gr. RNCL Rem bullets and low power scopes.

Took me until about '71 before I finally got a lightly used one at a very good price but it immediately became my go-to rig for southern white tails; it's very accurate and has never failed me. I'd recommend it to anyone, new guy or old.

They say we can't take anything with us but I'm thinking about having it laid in my coffin with me, just in case God is willing to make an exception ...

I've mentioned in the past that my father hunted Cape Buffalo with a 35 Remington. The rifle was a pump action which liked because it was short and handy in the dense African bush. He went for heart shots though but once his shot missed all bone, went through the heart and exited and broke another buffalo's shoulder so he had to finish it off.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12