MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Components shortage?

Boolit Buddy

Components shortage?

I'm going to need small pistol primers soon. So I was looking around online (since the local store I usually go to is closed) and it seems everyone is out of stock?

Anyone else seeing a shortage of components? Or is this just a temporary factory shipping thing due to the pandemic?

I haven't heard there's been a run on reloading components, just guns and loaded ammo. When the shop i go to was still open they had a shortage on loaded ammo and handguns, but the reloading section was mostly untouched.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Boolit Buddy
    Best bet is to get some back orders setup through somewhere like Graf’s.

Last weekend, I setup a backorder at Graf’s for M41 primers. They were the only ones I was slightly short on but didn’t really need them anytime soon. Figured I would do that just in case.

Well, I got a call on Wednesday saying they were ready.

I think folks already bought up the stuff in the stores. There is still supply in the pipe. For how long, no idea. The factories may close. The supply chains could slow down. But there is still stuff likely to come in the short term.

Just checked in my storage area. Plenty of primers. No shortage at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

like thumbcocker, opened the supply cabinet and I'm good for a few years.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

With so much time on my hands, I have used up half of my stash, lots of loaded ammo now but supplies are getting short. Lots of magnum large pistol primers though, looks like I need to do some research?

Boolit Buddy
    We have learned a great deal through these ups and downs in supply and demand for ammo and reloading supplies. I realize finances are an issue and buying as you need them is all many of us could and can do at some points in our lives.

I have adopted my own plan. I try to set the price I will pay for anything, powder, primers, etc. I try to avoid overpaying which is difficult when you are in need of something. Instead I try to save my money for when prices come down and the panic buying over. You will know when that is. Items will start to show up in larger numbers with still high prices. It won't be long before prices start coming down. By then I will have saved some cash and made a list of what and how much I will need.

You won't always get it right but that's life. Not having a plan and giving into the gougers is not good. Like 22 ammo, it will return. Just be prepared for when it does and start the cycle.

Boolit Master

During the last big shortage I overpaid for large pistol primers. The only package I had seen in a long time was some Federal Match so I bought them at $45 for 1K. I was shooting a lot at the time and concerned about running out. The shortage eased up before I used them and they still sit on the shelf as a reminder. Now that I have plenty of standard LPPs I’m reluctant to use match primers for steel plate matches or practice.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

I bet the gunshow vendors have component stock...but the virus has shut down the gunshows.
    If you are aware of any local gunshow vendors, give them a call.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

This will continue and get worse throughout the election. In these perilous times, everyone should strive for a stash of a lifetime supply.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jake McCracken View Post

Anyone else seeing a shortage of components? Or is this just a temporary factory shipping thing due to the pandemic?
    k
    The panic buying is everywhere and it has nothing to do with temporary shipping issues. Lots of the online places are not tacking back orders. With the leftist gun control push it will continue and it will worse till the election. If President Trump doesn't get re-elected it will get far worse. If the GOP doesn't hold the Senate it will be worse than anything we have ever seen.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the same situation as Thumbcocker.

We will know how things go in a few weeks when Trump decides when and how to open us up again. I fear M-Tecs is right and things will get worse. $50/1000 for primers might be a bargain not too far into the future.
    Don Verna

here Dicks sporting goods is having a clearance sale on reloading stuff , plenty in stock my friend said , He got three lbs of CFE223 for $20 each I am like many other here and Anti Dicks

Banned

I'm not gonna stress over it this time. Even last time, it didn't really impact my shooting as much as having time to shoot did. I'm set better now than I was then and shooting a lot more, I think I'm good for a while. Kind of weaned myself off rimfire shooting last time, that's the only thing that concerns me much, and not this time.

If it ever gets that bad, I'll start shooting less and find other things to do, maybe get back into archery or something.

Boolit Master
    Options are thin here, most of what is available is the stuff that most reloaders don't buy much of. The popular components are few & far.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

I have been adding to the stash as funds and availability allowed , had to switch powder on a couple as prices were higher or supply was out , but I am still finding what I need at sale prices , but I also see the out of stock and limits again , no back orders and delays on shipping , and it will get worse towards election . Good luck stock up when you can

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    This will continue and get worse throughout the election. In these perilous times, everyone should strive for a stash of a lifetime supply.
    This is the kind of talk that leads to shortages. I the last .22 LR shortage, I bought more than I should have. It is still sitting on the shelf, that would be fine if I did over pay for what turned out to be crap ammo. Quality was not good during the crisis.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    This is the kind of talk that leads to shortages. I the last .22 LR shortage, I bought more than I should have. It is still sitting on the shelf, that would be fine if I did over pay for what turned out to be crap ammo. Quality was not good during the crisis.

Tim
    Shawlerbrook is just stating political reality. He is also correct about striving for a lifetime supply stash. Most people build up their stash when supply is high and prices are low with free shipping and or free hazmat. Building stashes prevents shortages. All the people that built their stash's are not the ones out panic buying now.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Shawlerbrook is just stating political reality. He is also correct about striving for a lifetime supply stash. Most people build up their stash when supply is high and prices are low with free shipping and or free hazmat. Building stashes prevents shortages. All the people that built their stash's are not the ones out panic buying now.
    Maybe now is not the right time for that message. Anyway, the idea of a lifetime stash is kind of silly. How do you know what you will be shooting 40 years from now and while 40 year old primers and powder might be fine, they might not be. I have ammo I loaded 20 years ago that it seems I might not shoot. I just sold my SKS and before I did I burned thru my 7.62 x 39 reloads in some mostly pointless shooting. I still have a fair bit of 7.62 x 39 factory ammo but no gun in that chambering. At least I can sell the factory loads.

Yes, it is wise to stock up when prices are low. It does not seem that is the case right now.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    the idea of a lifetime stash is kind of silly. How do you know what you will be shooting 40 years from now and while 40 year old primers and powder might be fine, they might not be. I have ammo I loaded 20 years ago that it seems I might not shoot.
    If you weren't going to shoot it why did you load it? Primers keep basically forever. Same for most powders. Jacketed and cast bullets without lube keep forever.

I agree loading something in larger quantities than you will need or you not have a use for is not the best option. I normally shoot between 12K & 15K a year. I know in the future I will be shooting 9mm, 38/357, 44 and 45 Cal pistol. For rifle 22 Cal., 6mm, 6.5, 270, 7mm, 30 Cal, .338, 348, 35 Cal, 375 Cal and 45 cal. How do I know this? I've been shooting them for 40 years and I based on past experience I can fairly accurately predict future needs. I have very little loaded ammo for most of these. I do have a large quantity of fully prepped brass, primers and bullets. The exception is prairie dog loads. I normally fire 5K or 6k a year. I start loading those when I am down to about 5K. The loads I stockpile have proven to shoot accurately in multiple rifles.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

During the last big shortage I overpaid for large pistol primers. The only package I had seen in a long time was some Federal Match so I bought them at $45 for 1K. I was shooting a lot at the time and concerned about running out. The shortage eased up before I used them and they still sit on the shelf as a reminder. Now that I have plenty of standard LPPs I’m reluctant to use match primers for steel plate matches or practice.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast