Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Loads / Bullets 357 mag , 357 Max , 41 mag & 44 mag rifles

Boolit Buddy

Loads / Bullets 357 mag , 357 Max , 41 mag & 44 mag rifles

Am in the process of gather & loading for some new rifles . All are in magnum pistol calibers ie 357 mag & max , 41 mag & 44 mag . The 41 is a Henry BBS , rest are T/C Encores with MGM 20” barrels . 1 in 16 for the 357's , 1 in 18.75 for the 41 & 1 in 20 for the 44 .
    I've chosen a 180WFNGC NOE with a .300 nose & .280 meplat for both the 357's . I can go heavier in the Max but for shorter case the 180 should work well . IIRC there was a formula for figuring out optimal impact velocity something to do with velocity X meplat divided by ? . Anyway if result was 100 to 130 that was the ticket . I'm thinking 1450 to 1850 would be ideal for this bullet .
    Going with the LBT 240gr LFNGC in the 41 as I know it feeds & plan to try both the 240 & 220 WFNGC if they'll also feed . The LFN has a .430 nose & .280 meplat . So I'm guessing the same velocity envelope will work .
    Decided on the LBT 260 WFNGC .340 nose & .350 meplat in the 44 . I'm thinking this one 1200 to 1500 fps . Might have to go faster or full case of slower than normal choices to keep speed down .
    In the 2 larger cases I can go heavier on bullets or try a case full of something slower propellant wise . OK advise , suggestions etc. will be gratefully accepted .

Boolit Man
    I have a turnbull henry 41 that feeds buffalo bore Keith 230's very well, shoots them accurate too. I load a 255 wfn in special-length cases that feeds perfectly too and also shoots awesome... only got as far as 50yards initially with the 255's during load work but intend to stretch it much farther as time permits... at 50 though the bullet pretty well cloverleafs once your powder charge hits its sweet spot. I have no doubt at all groups cloverleafing at 50 will be nice tight ones at 100+

One thing I'll mention about the henry.. I swapped that big bead they come with out for a 1/16th bead up front and also the rear out for a winchester ladder. Easy change and a hell of alot nicer size to shoot small targets as the range gets farther... my eyes prefer smaller sights for accurate shooting, so that swap made a big difference. Might for other guys too.

edit: I never have chrony'd the loads in my henry, but through a Colt single action the 2 255gr handloads with special brass shoot 965fps & 1200fps ... same loads through my Henry give mirrored accuracy like I find in the Colt, but I'd presume to be quite a bit faster in the henry. Someday soon once spring-work winds down I'll chrony them and know for sure. I'd bet the heavier 1200 Colt load likely shoots up around 1500 in the henry.
    Last edited by ranchman; 05-08-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry .41 mag carbine-- I am shooting a PC,D cup point from a MIa mold that weighs 212 gr of 20 gr of N110 for 1750....shoots well
    so far only thing I have used it on is a Tenn deer
    for the time being I am sticking with this... but yours will certainly work

Boolit Master
    my most accurate load in my 357mag trapper is 195gngc sil boolit with 11.5 gn 2400 = 1350fps about max load but no pressure signs please start low and work up.

Boolit Buddy
    Formula I was looking for is : meplat in inches X velocity in fps divided by 4 . The only concerns I had was pushing them too hard . Not going to be a problem in 357 mag or 41 mag . 357 Max & 44 mag I might have to slow them down for best results . Rather or not best results will come with a faster or slower powder remains to be seen .