Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Swiss fines

Boolit Buddy

Swiss fines

I have been shooting Swiss 1-1/2 for a while and currently have about eight un-opened cans of the same lot number. I have heard a lot about "fine" the powder dust that finds it's way to the bottom of the can. I have been told that as the can empty's I will get different compression and velocity and that sounds reasonable. I have also been told that Swiss "Caviar" has been double screened and is therefore a better choice. Would it be worth my while to re- screen the powder I have in hopes of making it a better grade or am I chasing windmills ?.

Boolit Master
    I've had problems with excess fines in Goex Express and Goex Old Eynesford, but never in Swiss. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    When I screened Swiss powder I was surprised at how little fines I sifted out. The Caviar 3F powder shot good for me but crushing any of the nice round little balls defeats the purpose of using this powder. Heavy Swiss 1-1/2 with very light compression shot both faster and more accurate for me. YMMV

I have never seen Swiss black powder other than the Caviar type. I have used Swiss 2F and 1 1/2F for years. These powders are polished and uniform in granule size. The appearance is of a quality smokeless powder. I have never seen fines from Swiss Caviar AND lot to lot uniformity is amazing.
    I also have recently been doing load development with two powders I acquired with a rifle purchase. Goex Cartridge and Elephant 2F both have visually noticeable fines. The Elephant 2F creates a dust cloud when pouring into my powder measure.
    Just my observations.

Boolit Mold
    i just dumped about 1/2 inch from a can of swiss1 1/2 the bottom had a lot of fines ,i noticed the compression effort changed , so had a look, it says swiss supreme sporting powder no-4 , this is my first swiss, so dont know much , have always used goex,, wade

Boolit Mold
    i just dumped about 1/2 inch from the bottom of a can of swiss 1 1/2 , a lot of fines, no-4 swiss

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It’s probably a good idea to turn the container over and shake it each time before using. That should keep your loads more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It’s probably a good idea to turn the container over and shake it each time before using. That should keep your loads more consistent.

That’s what I was thinking…..
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Mold
    i think i will try for the cavier type if i can get a choice ,,wade

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wade View Post
    i think i will try for the cavier type if i can get a choice ,,wade
    I am not sure, but it appears that was discontinued a while ago. When it came out about ten years ago a friend got some to try for BPCR. After testing he opted to stay with the standard type of granules. I've never tried so I have no personal experience with it. If it becomes readily available, I would like to give it a go. Unless I could get more it would not be with working up loads for competition.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-20-2023 at 06:01 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Um, quick question from a relative newby - "fines"?

Powder that is a lot smaller than the intended size. Kind of like the stuff at the bottom of a cereal box when you're down to the last bowl.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.