RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99 in 25 caliber

Boolit Master

Savage 99 in 25 caliber

I need some advice on a rifle I might purchase. Its a Savage model 99 in the 25-3000 caliber, and I wonder how much it is worth $$$. I don't see the 25-3000 come around very often. I could go to GunBroker but you guys usually have a better perspective on the value of firearms.
    Let me know what you think.
    thanks
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

Need more details about the rifle - age and condition. Brass counter or not? Model letter at least.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    When examining the rifle, use a cleaning rod and tight patch to learn the barrel's twist rate. Early rifles had a slow twist (1 in 14?), later ones were 1 in 10. The early ones wouldn't stabilize a 100 gr bullet reliably. One of my fiends has a later one with the quicker twist,but it also has the rotary magazine.

Boolit Buddy
    Like the others have stated condition ,and the model are key to collector value,but if it is priced right don't let one slip through your hands if it has been drilled,and tapped.My Dad had an old EG that was drilled,and tapped long before they became collectable,and I got it after he died,and even though it has little collector value it is a more useful rifle than one that has only irons.I let my grandson use it,but I have killed a lot of stuff with the little 87gr HotCor.Mine is a 1-14,but will stabilize the Rem.100gr ammo,and will stabilize the 100gr HorCor,but the accuracy is better with the 87,and I can get a hotter charge with out running into sticky extraction because the 100 seats further into the case.The 87 is plenty deadly for whitetail.I am pretty much a neck shooter ,and most are dead before the hit the ground.I dug up a couple pics .The old mangy fox,and the 10 point were both shot with an 87 gr HotCor.The buck didn't even bleed except for a little running out when I drug him.I shot the fox at a little over 100 yards on my wife's birthday June 13th.I had seen him the day before standing in the back field .I know he was looking for newborn deer.I shot him from the kitchen window.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6ip1GDj.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	260121 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4jTDBJB.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	260122 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wICa47l.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	260123 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4gw6Bxx.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	260124
    Last edited by Elroy; 04-11-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In really nice condition and original, the 250-3000 is scarce and therefore valuable, but without pictures, it's impossible to say how valuable. I think the 250-3000 is the best of the entire Savage 99 line, had one in excellent condition, but money talks loud when the kiddies need new shoes.

Banned

If it has a tang safety instead of the trigger safety, it's a post one million serial number one and I wouldn't give much for it. I own several 99s including a couple of .250s, I'm not too keen on the post one million ones.

The 250/3000s dont last long in any shooter condition. A decent shape gun in any model is bringing $600 up.
    The older models with spool mags bring more in like shape. Carbine brings more than rifle. You do have to doc gun if D&Ted. I paid $950 for a 1950 99EG that was D&Ted. Gun is mint other than that. Mine has 1-14 twist but shoots Horn 117 RNs into 1.5” at 100yds. with 10x scope that I mounted just to see what it would do. I have a original NIB Lyman tang for it but want Lyman receiver sight to hunt with.

Boolit Grand Master

As others have stated it depends on the model. Location also matters. Someone above mentioned $600 for one in good shape. That’s what a one that’s well used and put up wet goes for around here. Been around the country enough to know that the market for them here demands more money.

I’ve passed on a bunch of 250-3000 rifles because I didn’t want to tool up to cast and reload for it. Not necessarily the cartridge because that’s just a set of dies. Don’t own any other 25 caliber rifles so it’s all the casting tools that would add up. May buy one one day. Still need to get around to selling the 99 in 375 Winchester w/ the hang tag still on it. Never going to shoot that one.

Most of the time the 250 locally will list for 8-900 where the 300 5-600. They are very sought after.

DEP

Condition (the amount of remaining ORIGINAL finish on wood & metal parts & the existence of any alterations) rules... +5

Value (the dollar amount someone's been willing to pay, recently) certainly vary by the location of potential buyers - where there are various levels of demand

FWIW, I paid about $350 for this ca.1914 Model 1899 example, 4 years ago @ a Cabela's

Last edited by pietro; 04-11-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Why do folks always harp on the 1 in 14" twist ?
    All three of the 99's I've had experience with have shot both Sierra & Hornady 100gr Pointed bullets with decent accuracy. Three rounds into 1 1/2". All 3 grouped just as well with the Hornady 117gr RN.

Only Problem with the .250-3000 is hard to find ammo & brass.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Why do folks always harp on the 1 in 14" twist ?
    All three of the 99's I've had experience with have shot both Sierra & Hornady 100gr Pointed bullets with decent accuracy. Three rounds into 1 1/2". All 3 grouped just as well with the Hornady 117gr RN.

I have bought 22-250 brass,and resized it.

Banned
    The Savage 1895/1899/99 offers a huge variety of rifles. Insofar as, as 250-3000s go, the most valuable on is the 1st one, a takedown rifle distinguished by a checkered trigger. Next up the barrel band carbines and RS models. Condition and originality are everything. A fine EG will bring 1200-1500 at auction about 40% more than a 300. These rifles are a moving target, pricewise, as the folks who appreciate them are passing on. All you have to do is look at top end single shots (rifles and trap guns) that have fallen 50% in the last decade. I just bought an L.C. Single Trap in 90% condition for 2 grand. In 2002 I sold one that was not as good for $4800. 99s are fine rifles but don't buy one as an investment. A very nice 250-3000 R I once owned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99R.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	260154

MY brother had model 99's in .22 Savage, 22/250, 250 Savage, 243 Win, .284 Win, 300 savage, 308, .303 savage,.358 Win, and a couple of calibers I can't remember. He collected every caliber. Some never had been shot. He left those to may son when he passed away. Before I got sick, I used the .284 on a seven point buck at 280 yards. Good guns.

ACC

Boolit Master
    I had a 250-3000 take down with excessive head space, that happens when they are messed with too much. Sold it

Bought a 99E in 243 solid frame and it is a real shooter, a 300 Savage solid frame and it is fine.

If you want a take down get one that has not been fooled with a lot.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

Actually, Hornady has been making new .250-3000/.250 Savage ammunition for at least the past 4 years, loaded with 150gr j-word boolits.

It's still readily available …………………………..

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Actually, Hornady has been making new .250-3000/.250 Savage ammunition for at least the past 4 years, loaded with 150gr j-word boolits.

It's still readily available …………………………..

150 grains? That's a pretty big .257 bullet.

Boolit Master
    Both Hornady and Remington offer ammunition for the 250 Savage. Both are loaded with 100gr. jacketed projectiles.
    It's the ammo for 300 Savage that has the 150's.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    150 grains? That's a pretty big .257 bullet.
    That14” twist ain’t gonna like that long bullet

Boolit Master

I look for rifles with good craftsmanship, a unique caliber and good shooting accuracy. I don't buy for "investment". You have all give me some food for thought. I have two 99's now..... .308Win and .300 Savage. Both are good shooters. I will let you know what I find when my friend brings over the .250-3000.
    Much appreciated.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast